996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Somebody has to to have a solution - interior touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure-in my case I took a piece in and they matched it to sample chips .Not exact science but it worked .They did have an Ott Light which may have helped .PPG also has a product -the key is a elastomeric coating .I think the larger paint supply places can match via computer like home depot .

Fcor is my fat fingers -meant for .These coatings do not need a primer .In fact with proper preperation you can also fix worn seats .The stuff sticks is flexible and doesn't wear off .
Another option is Duplicor vinyl dye -I don't know if the match is ok -but worth looking at .
Hope this helps...........
Dave
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 PM
MetBlk 911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Sure-in my case I took a piece in and they matched it to sample chips .Not exact science but it worked .They did have an Ott Light which may have helped .PPG also has a product -the key is a elastomeric coating .I think the larger paint supply places can match via computer like home depot .

Fcor is my fat fingers -meant for .These coatings do not need a primer .In fact with proper preperation you can also fix worn seats .The stuff sticks is flexible and doesn't wear off .
Another option is Duplicor vinyl dye -I don't know if the match is ok -but worth looking at .
Hope this helps...........
Dave
Thanks again. I think you are the closest to finding the sort of solution I'm after.

SEM has a lot of different products. What is there a name for the product you use?

Also, do you feel the finish of the touch-up you chose is also good match for the factory Porsche interior paint? It appears to be somewhere between matte and satin.

Oh, and what is an OTT light?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The soft-touch paint on mine was in pretty bad shape when I bought my car last year and if cost is a contributing factor you could go down the DIY Painted Console route like I did. I also had an interior guy deal with a small leather issue and some other minor plastic touch-up to spruce things up. That part took about 2 hours and cost a couple hundred.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 PM
MetBlk 911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M
The soft-touch paint on mine was in pretty bad shape when I bought my car last year and if cost is a contributing factor you could go down the DIY Painted Console route like I did. I also had an interior guy deal with a small leather issue and some other minor plastic touch-up to spruce things up. That part took about 2 hours and cost a couple hundred.

I like the look of the exterior color on the center console, but I'm more partial to keeping the monochromatic, all-grey look of my interior. Spending a few hundred dollars to have a pro do the work is no big deal, but when I look at all the things I want to do to the car, it starts to add up quickly. With the right source for paint it should be an easy DIY job.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old thread but i did it!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11512234
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Bumper Plugs if you want it done right,costs a few $$,what else is new,they do porsche parts all day long,from my experience perfect color match and flawless finish.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 AM
sidwin
Pro

This is simple light touch up paint. I had a couple of small gouges. Not worth sending out.

I got a quote from my body shop to paint both seats to body match the exterior for $900 a pair. That's not bad considering porsche charges 3k for that option.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
I got a quote from my body shop to paint both seats to body match the exterior for $900 a pair. That's not bad considering porsche charges 3k for that option.
Does that include them actually taking off the seat backs completely, or are they just masking it? Just wanna clarify apples to apples.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by alpine003
Does that include them actually taking off the seat backs completely, or are they just masking it? Just wanna clarify apples to apples.
removing the seat from the car, sanding, then masking it, then painting it with primer, 2 base coat, 3 clear coat in a downdraft paint booth. I'm guessing the release levers will be left silver and taped over.

I had a leather repair shop dye my seat the other day. he laughed when i said it's an art what he does. he tells me he is no artist. what he has is a special set of skills that have been honed and tuned. He said just like a painter who paints cars or a mechanic who works on cars. It's a craft that they have learned. Definitely not rocket science but definitely a good sharp skill.

I'm ok with mechanical stuff but i don't have the patience or skills to paint anything that requires a gun.

I'm just happy my touch up paint matches that well and feels like stock.

Sid
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
alpine003
Banned

^^^ seems a bit on the high side, especially if they are not going to take off the seat backs completely but I do realize rates will vary all over.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 PM
sidwin
Pro

Paint guys don't like messing with air bags. These days good paint runs $400 per bumper. Guessing extra $100 is for removal of seats.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

sidwin,are we talking about sport seats? cause if we are i also had them done,and it was labor intensive for a couple of reasons,first if yours are already painted and your changing the color then its less work involved,however if the seats came from the factory without that option,the seats will have a coating over the hard shell that has to be removed prior to painting,and thats not a easy task,the prep in all paint work is very important,and that means time the shop has to spend more time and that of course translate to more money! just a heads up,maybe you can find out if the shop has experience having done these porsche sport seats before? also to be done right the seat cover etc. has to be removed,and there are a ton of clips and hardware,nice to know if somebody has done this before,just a heads up goodluck!
Attached Images    
Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by sidwin
Paint guys don't like messing with air bags. These days good paint runs $400 per bumper. Guessing extra $100 is for removal of seats.
Your seats have airbags? Do you have 997 sport seats?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago, when I was getting ready to sell my 928, I was looking for a way of repairing and updating my interior and I posted here on RL. The interior of that car was the same as my 996, Savannah. He recommended and I purchased a repair kit from a company called Leather World. The color matched perfectly and the detail guy that did the interior with this product was very impressed. If interested, their website is www.leatherworldtech.com. BTW... I have no affiliation with Leather World
Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Norcalphoto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my ENTIRE interior done professionally for $340. My car looks like brand new in the inside now. The seats looked terrible when I got the car. I had a handful of auto interior places come out to give me estimates and they all wanted $1000 and up. I finally found these guys that go around to all the auto dealers and refresh the interiors of cars before they get sold. They did amazing and meticulous work. I was watching for awhile as the removed some of the interior pieces to sand them down slightly and than spray them. They did all the interior with an airbrush sprayer and dye to match everything perfectly. I would definitely find someone that does airbrushing or buy the items and do it yourself. Maybe a place like this? http://airbrushpaintdirect.com/autoaircolorspaints

Quick Reply: Somebody has to to have a solution - interior touch up paint