Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Somebody has to to have a solution - interior touch up paint (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/610512-somebody-has-to-to-have-a-solution-interior-touch-up-paint.html)

MetBlk 911 01-10-2011 01:08 AM

Somebody has to to have a solution - interior touch up paint

Just searched for a solution to fixing small dings to the painted finish used on many of the interior parts in my 996, and I'm surprised to come up empty handed.

Porsche doesn't make an interior touch-up paint? Really?

Frankly, I don't know why any auto maker would used painted plastic for anything (um, hello, plastic can be made any color), let alone high-wear areas of an interior, but if you are going to, wouldn't you think to offer some touch-up the inevitable wear to it?

I wanted to avoid the cost of having a professional upholstery repair place do the work since many of the nicks are small enough that a small dab of color matched paint would do the trick.

Is there really no one that offers color matched interior touch up paint?

BTW - my interior is Graphite Grey.

cannon1000 01-10-2011 01:15 AM

This guy posted some awesome pics of a Cayenne they just cleaned. Maybe shoot him an email for advise.

Philip Yiu
Detailer's Domain
e-mail: phil@detailersdomain.com
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site

ivangene 01-10-2011 01:38 AM

if a detailer is the place to go - John at Metropolitan Detail is the local GURU !!

(you can find him on 6speed - northwest region - or just google the shop)

MetBlk 911 01-10-2011 02:18 AM

Thanks guys. I will try those leads, but I was hoping to for a source for the paint without having to go through getting a custom color match.

Cannon1000 - I don't see the pics of the Cayenne on that you refer to.

knfeparty 01-10-2011 09:35 AM

Well bumperplugs can repaint the whole piece if you want it to look immaculate. Just take a look at some of their photos. I have one of their products and the color match is spot on.

cannon1000 01-10-2011 01:34 PM

Here is the post

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...orrection.html

I'm did not mean to imply they had the same type of repairs...just that they were extremely knowledgeable on the subject.

MetBlk 911 01-10-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by knfeparty (Post 8197988)
Well bumperplugs can repaint the whole piece if you want it to look immaculate. Just take a look at some of their photos. I have one of their products and the color match is spot on.

Do they color match to the interior paint color? I thought their specialty was painting the center console to match the exterior color.

MetBlk 911 01-10-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by cannon1000 (Post 8198712)
Here is the post

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...orrection.html

I'm did not mean to imply they had the same type of repairs...just that they were extremely knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks for the link. That is an amazing exterior pain restoration. I will see if they have any leads on interior touch up paint.

Tom M 01-12-2011 12:06 PM

You might also call Sunset Imports to get quotes on just replacing the offending pieces.

okbarnett 01-12-2011 12:28 PM

when you try to touch up a part that doesnt have the exterior color code #, you have to have a color mixed up and matched to it.
thats the name of the game

AndyK 01-12-2011 02:28 PM

What needs touching up, and what color is your interior? I've had great success using Testors flat black model paint on all the semi-soft plastic parts around the console, etc.

MetBlk 911 01-12-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 8205496)
You might also call Sunset Imports to get quotes on just replacing the offending pieces.

That is part of the plan, but this adds up quickly. I'll probably replace the rear center console ($500), because it has the most wear and is the most visible, but it makes more sense to use touch-up paint on the other smaller pieces.

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 8205940)
What needs touching up, and what color is your interior? I've had great success using Testors flat black model paint on all the semi-soft plastic parts around the console, etc.

Yes, I saw your recommendation for the Testors paint for black interiors when I did a search of this forum, but unfortunately mine is Graphite Gray which will require factory paint, or a custom color and finish match.

MetBlk 911 01-12-2011 04:57 PM

Since I'm having no luck finding a source for factory interior paint, I think I'm going to take the ashtray into Home Depot and have them color match the color with some flat interior household paint. Since that household paint probably wont adhere too well to the plastic parts of the interior I'll prep each chip with some plastic primer first.

I'll report back on how that works out.

Further suggestions welcome.

dcdrechsel 01-12-2011 06:43 PM

Any auto paint supply house that carries SEM products can match the color .I used the product on my interior .It comes premixed and is very easy to use with an airbrush .Also would recommend adhesion promoter .There is no requirement fcor primer .
Dave

MetBlk 911 01-12-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel (Post 8206793)
Any auto paint supply house that carries SEM products can match the color .I used the product on my interior .It comes premixed and is very easy to use with an airbrush .Also would recommend adhesion promoter .There is no requirement fcor primer .
Dave

Thanks Dave. I've recently read about SEM products, but it seemed like all of their stock colors are for US car manufacturers. Can you give me more detail on how the paint supply place does the color match?

What is fcor primer?