Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Turbo Stolen last night in Laguna Beach, CA PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
Default '97 Turbo Stolen last night in Laguna Beach, CA PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hey Guys,

A buddy of mine had his beloved 1997 993 Twin Turbo get stolen out of his driveway last night in Laguna Beach. Details are below:

VIN Number is WPOAC2991VS375173. Black 993TT with Tan interior. Some odd features ... Aluminum Instruments, Cassette holders near the centerfold (not CD), PCA sticker in left rear seat window, other than that its immaculate and all original. Has roughly 21,000 miles. I don't want to post the owner's personal contact info online, so please PM me with any info you might have.

Car was stolen without a key and with no broken glass, so I am surmising that they punched the ignition lock after hot wiring it. Therefore, the thieves may be needing to purchase a replacement ignition or take the car somewhere to get it rekeyed.

PLEASE ALSO FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ANYBODY THAT YOU CAN.

Huge thanks to all! Best regards.

Wolf
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate hearing these stories. There have been more and more 993s being stolen from the "beach communities" LA- Orange County. This is terrible! It seems that a lot of the thieves are using tow trucks
Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow..... I would take a leave of absence and make it a mission to hunt them down and....... Well I can't say but you get my drift. Unfortunately it's probably southbound and out of the country by now.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Really sorry to hear that, hopefully they find the car unharmed.

I thought if the door was opened without the remote to disable the alarm, the alarm would sound?

Not sure how they would get past the immobilizer, perhaps they punched out the lock to disable the steering lock, and then pushed it down the drive way and the street to a truck to tow or flat bed it away. "Hot wiring" would require a pretty good knowledge of the car and how it operates.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Really sorry to hear that, hopefully they find the car unharmed.

I thought if the door was opened without the remote to disable the alarm, the alarm would sound?

Not sure how they would get past the immobilizer, perhaps they punched out the lock to disable the steering lock, and then pushed it down the drive way and the street to a truck to tow or flat bed it away. "Hot wiring" would require a pretty good knowledge of the car and how it operates.

Cheers,

Mike
It's pretty easy to unplug the alarm horn by reaching under the vehicle, but again, you really have to know 993s. Any chance it was left unlocked?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
It's pretty easy to unplug the alarm horn by reaching under the vehicle, but again, you really have to know 993s. Any chance it was left unlocked?
You need to remove the transmission cover, not sure if you have tried this while the car is on the ground, it's not easy, and then reach in and know exactly where the horn is -> your question is bang on.

Perhaps they used a set of car dollies and rolled it away!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in the other side of the formula. What does the thief do with the car once he has it? Is it enough to just transport it south of the border? Now that Google and the NSA know more about me than I can remember about myself it seems that the tracking of a car is really simple. With that said, I miss my TT something awful and if this happened to me I would probably **** blood. I'm sorry for the loss.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

If you want to keep your car in high theft areas.. I'd recommend placing two sheets of roofing lead under your battery. I'd also recommend installing a DME relay cut out switch or fuel pump relay switch. Most cars are backed down the driveway and driven away...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The stolen car is in a shipping container or semi container heading out of the country OR is already cut up and in pieces.. Hood, doors, bumpers, front clip, rear clip, glass, Sport seats (that's what I'd be looking for on Ebay) wiring harness, front diff, brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine and rims/tires..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
deverest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the lead under the battery accomplish?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Have you ever drilled thru lead?

How much voltage does the battery have with no battery acid??

The idea is to make it difficult (max out the time) to drive away.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Some federale or drug lord in Tijuana (I know, what's the difference) is going to be driving it around after it's new paint job.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to hear a lot about Lojack. Is it worth installing?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't know about LoJack but I've had Compustar in all my toys. I had a Subaru Sti that thieves tried to steal but the alarm was giving them such a hard time that two officers driving by saw my lights flashing(they ripped the siren off). They saw the cops and hauled tailed out of the area. Cops were knocking on my door at 2:30am. Luckily no damaged was done. Next day I added a hidden fuel cut off switch(on top of the alarms on fuel cut off) plus disabled the door lock and unlock feature. NOW COMPUSTAR CARRIES A NEW TYPE OF MONITORING.....http://www.compustar.com/DroneMobile.php

By the way I had the two way remote and it did tell me my alarm was activated and showed my door was open but like a dope I did something I never had....I put the keys in a kitchen drawer by accident and could not hear it. Cops said it was great I did not hear it cause it looked as if four guys were all over my car. Unfortunately NJ laws prohibits the use of guns as protection from outside of the home and a bat would not have really helped me..
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
The stolen car is in a shipping container or semi container heading out of the country OR is already cut up and in pieces.. Hood, doors, bumpers, front clip, rear clip, glass, Sport seats (that's what I'd be looking for on Ebay) wiring harness, front diff, brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine and rims/tires..
Everyone said the exact same thing when the F50 was stolen from Algar. It was actually only two states away, and being driven by the new "owner".

Greg A

Quick Reply: '97 Turbo Stolen last night in Laguna Beach, CA PLEASE HELP!!!!!