Sponsored by:

Help with Fan belt removal, its kicking my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Help with Fan belt removal, its kicking my a$$

Not afraid to admit it the belt is whooping me I've read the how to's and they are super helpful but there wasn't anything about having problems with removing the belts. I 've got all the belts off the car except the fan belt. I assume thats what it is, its the belt closest to the fan anyway. There is no interference from the AC bracket, mine will pass that with no issues. I can't seem to get it past the taller ridge of the middle crank pulley position. I was there for a good long while tugging prodding etc. to no avail. Any secrets I am missing? so much for the belts be easy, at least for me.

Any help is much appreciate.

Thanks,

rob
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

its super tight.

Have you tried turning the belt so that the toothed edge faces the back of the car and pulling like a sumbitch?

Last resort, cut the old belt and then worry about putting the new one on.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

I thought about cutting it, but if I do that and can't get the new one on I am SOL. This way, if I throw in the towel, I'll button it back up and go make it Dan's problem. Just thought that i may have missed an easy trick or something. These cars are finicky i'll give them that.

rob
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Step 1. Go to DIY section of this website under 993

Step 2. Follow directions found on the very first DIY topic written by yours truly

Step 3. Have a cold beer
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Step 1. Go to DIY section of this website under 993

Step 2. Follow directions found on the very first DIY topic written by yours truly

Step 3. Have a cold beer
Thanks, I read the DIY you did, but I don't have an issue with the A/C bracket. It just wont come off the crank pulley. I'll try what Quad recommended and twist the belt and pull like hell unless other suggestions bubble up.

thanks,
rob
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
I thought about cutting it, but if I do that and can't get the new one on I am SOL. This way, if I throw in the towel, I'll button it back up and go make it Dan's problem. Just thought that i may have missed an easy trick or something. These cars are finicky i'll give them that.

rob
I cut mine off, but my car is na..

If u encounter a problem putting the new one on, stretch it as much as possible, then give the engine a slight crank and that should pull it out.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes putting a jack under the engine and lifting it a bit (without lifting the car itself) helps increase clearance between the crank pulley and the metalwork. Because of its larger/longer transmission the 993tt engine sits a bit further back which adds to the challenges of fan belt changing.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

the NA cars are a bloody breeze compared to the turbo.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Was wondering if jacking up the engine would give me the room that I ohh so crave to get this out. Will give it a go tonight

Thanks for all the advice.

Rob
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

As a funny aside. I was looking at my drill press which uses one of those linked belts to reduce vibration etc and was thinking long and hard about giving that a try. But decided against it. :-). Would rather struggle through like the rest of you have
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I don't think jacking the motor up because the whole thing lifts together. You may get some flex out of it or something, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I have the same issues - the clearance right at the bottom of the crank pulley and the motor mount is crazy small. The first position (the A/C slot) is not too bad, but to get the innermost belt in is worth about a weeks worth of swearing.

Last change I had time, so I cut the old belt off, and then spend a whole lot of time getting the new one one. I tried twisting it, pushing it with tools (really no clearance), and swearing. I finally found use the following method:
  • Pull the DME relay
  • Clear all the old belts out of the way
  • Position as best as possible the inner belt. I find you can get part of it on the innermost pull, doing that on the right hand side of the pulley
  • Use the starter to just crank over the engine **a bit** - like a 1/4 turn of the pulley
  • check the belt position - sometimes it does not catch, but if it did, it should be in the proper spot
  • manually rotate the belt, having it loosely hang on the pulley, to inpect it to make sure its not screwed up
  • If it looks good, then finished the installation the normal way. The middle and outer belts should be much easier to position

I usually have a new spare belt around anyways so if it does get mangled in the process, I can try again. However, that has not happened yet, but I have only done this a few times so far.

I have not taken apart the motor mount/A/C mount on a Turbo (yet), but when I do I want to take some pictures of why its too tight down there, and even see if some grinding or adjustments can be made to "help" out. Lifting the car will not work since there is no flex between the mount and the engine case.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have not taken apart the motor mount/A/C mount on a Turbo (yet), but when I do I want to take some pictures of why its too tight down there, and even see if some grinding or adjustments can be made to "help" out. Lifting the car will not work since there is no flex between the mount and the engine case.
I had the exact same idea but soon discovered that there just is nothing to grind off without risking going into the scavenge oil pump housing.

I guess Porsche, whilst engineering the oil pump into the A/C bracket, found that in order to provide a pump of sufficient capacity, they had to accept very tight clearance between the top of the pump housing and the pulley.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
its super tight.
+1
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

I cut my old one off.
To place the new one, i tied the belt with a rope of some sort, and yanked the h&%^ out of it under the pulley and it popped in. It took me two nights to figure this out. It was well worth it at the end.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help with Fan belt removal, its kicking my a$$