Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrolock.......explained

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys. I was able to fire up my engine. The first 2 seconds of run time pushed all the leftover gasoline and sprayed a neat pattern on the floor. Didn't want to turn over, but eventually did and the odor of raw gas permeated the air. No fires tho!

Well, after all the oil/gas mixture burned off (lots of smoke from areas of the turbo's, exhaust maniforlds) The engine seems to be idling ok. I don't hear any knocks, no new clicks. the familiar Ruf Cams rhythm is not exaggerated. Seems in idle it runs as before. However, when I give it gas, it wants to slow down. Like it can't handle the extra gas. Little by little, I run it and introduce slightly higher rpm and doesn't seem to mind,but I noticed at 2200rpm it feels like it's running on 4 cylinders. No guts. Like it's drowning or something, but not in gas. Like it has developed an obtruction in the exhaust and does not let it pump at higher rpm's. Funny thing is at idle is purrs just like before......anyone have any explanations or tips for me to consider??

Rob. Check out the thread "WTF, Gasoline pouring out of my exhaust" or something like that. Essentially, it's the wiring harness that shorted out. Had no idea there was a recall, so I experienced what could have happened.

Jaime
Old 08-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Jaime, a suggestion to purchase a new engine wiring harness might be in order.. Did you pull the injectors and had them tested?? 3rd, get a leak down test.. Hopefully you haven't washed out your liners.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi kevin. Thank you for the guidance. I've got to shop around for a harness as Porsche just quoted upwards of $700 bucks! How do I pull the injectors? What liners.....cylinder?? Is there a special factory coating on the cylinders or are you talking about some other liners??

Jaime
Old 08-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For the harness have you tried Sunset in Oregon? Should be considerably cheaper than your local dealer.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J,

Kev is referrring to the cylinder liners.... the raw gas doens't do too good a job at lubricating the ring/liner interfaces... when you fired it up it is possible it scored the liners...(there is a fair amount of oil that stays in the rings(all of them) and bore particualarily if you've modded the oil squirters but that much gas will clean them all too well)...

but that much raw gas; I'm wondering where all the new raw gas came from?? you said you put oil in cylinder and spun engine.... gas that pumped through into the manifolds/exhaust and didn't evaporate?? any chance more than one injector was firing??

and yes, god forbid the liners are hosed you can have them replated... and throw a new set of rings in.... but I have also seen them reseal if only marginally damaged...

IMHO confirm all injectors are running ok and youre firing ok, get a leakdown.. (or do 2, a before and aftrer running if the first one is bad on one cylinder, you can try to see if it will reseal before pulling engine.. assuming rod/bearing is ok)... ... and again make sure you don;t have any fueal/electrical gremlins before driving too much letr alone running any kind of boost... you don;t want to damage anything else)

ed
Old 08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think I did have more than one injector pumping because when I was removing spark plugs one by one, there was a hit/miss chance I was relieving the affected cylinder. each time I gently turned the engine and continued to be locked until I reached the #3 spark plug....but it was the #6 injector that was confirmed to be on all the time. So, there must have been more than one injector on, and when you see the photo of the wiring harness, it's easy to conceive much cross talk(electrical) between that fat live wire and the rest of the injector wires.

Will a standard DIY compression test help or does it have to be a leakdown??

Jaime
Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

J,

IMHO a slightly scored cylinder will not show too significanltly on a compression test...(leakdowns are so much more sensitive) but feel free to try one... can't hurt as a baseline.... and if you're within a few lbs in all cylinders then you only have to worry about the rods/bearings.. hopefully ...

my gut says you have an ignition or fuel issue to contend with IMO, first anyway... ... i doubt a scored cylinder would accoutn for your rev issues

just sell me your car now :-) I'll worry about it...Ed

Last edited by edpurplett; 08-18-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:09 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So stoked right now!!! I continued to take off the sheath upstream of the photo I posted and discovered TWO completely severed wires....one of them big fat red one, and one that looked like an injector wire. Did some temporizing measures with electreical tape, separated all wires as far as i could from each other, buttoned her up and went on a ride. Got that strong torque again, easy peelout 1st, 2nd, and again a 3rd gear wiggle.

God this car has my emotions in rollercoaster mode. I'll order that harness and plugg her in. Think I'll even treat her to some billet diverters.

Thank you all whom have offered me tips, whom helped me think thru some trouble shooting possibilities, and whom offered encouraging words.

Rennlist members are simply awesome!

Jaime

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 08-18-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Good show Jaime
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another annecdotal story - Last year I was 'fixing' our sit on mower/tractor; a little 200cc 4 stroke that had flooded. I removed the plug and turned the engine over having completely forgotten about the HT lead. Whoosh of air and petrol exited the front (away from me) the tractor followed by a Wooof as it enploded into a fire ball in front of me. I just sat their in stunned silence.
Think twice, act once!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Default Hydrolock

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
For anybody wanting to know about hydrolock and was afraid to ask, lemme 'splain:

When any liquid enters the combustion chamber and fills the chamber, the piston will not be able to push up against it during a compression stroke (when both intake and exhaust are closed and holding pressure against an incoming piston) because liquids are non compressible. So, it essentially locks the engine. Of course, the usual is to have a mixture of fuel/air that IS compressible. Usually see hydrolock in water pumpers if somehow water leaks into the chamber (bad head gasket), or if car hits a high water spot and submerges to a point where water pours into the carburator or fuel injection (aspiration). If the engine is forced to turn, it will bend the connecting rod or anything else.

Jaime
Was yours locked do to fuel or water? My 928 just locked up when the service mgr. at the PORSCHE dealer went to start it. Did you have damage just from the starter turning it?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while.

Fabian, my engine locked due to fuel. It did not turn over even one full cycle before it just stopped dead. My starter is still ok.

If it's hydrolocked all there is to do is take out all spark plugs and turn the engine to eject whatever liquid is in the cylinders.

Jaime
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Default Locked up

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while.

Fabian, my engine locked due to fuel. It did not turn over even one full cycle before it just stopped dead. My starter is still ok.

If it's hydrolocked all there is to do is take out all spark plugs and turn the engine to eject whatever liquid is in the cylinders.

Jaime
Hi Jaime. Yep, it's a the dealer now. They are telling me that they looked inside with a scope and that still has "hatch" marks which I don't know what that is, and that nothing is bent. I really hope that they're not giving me a line. Also saying that they checked compression and that its 164 lowest and 176 highest. I'm going to have all he injectors rebuilt at only 15 bucks each here: fuelinjectorconnection.com They seem to have a decent outfit and you can't beat the price. I'll keep posting updates on the hydrolock. See ya.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Hatch" marks refers to crosshatch machining on the cylinder walls. That's good, but doesn't really insure no damage. Injector "rebuilding" is always a scam, they just clean them externally and send them back. Too expensive a motor for anything but new injectors.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock.......explained