Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Will you use trampoline supports for the bottom cushions?
Probably not unless there was a strong demand. Rather than trampolines we would make additional removable cushions for the base and back, akin to the 993RS version of the original.

Target weight for the cloth version is around 5-6kg without mounts or additional cushions.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I think what I said was that we were only interested in selling a complete, finished seat, so if you just need one we can definitely accommodate your needs.
Yes, my mistake. I would take one!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very interesting point, and exactly why we are going to the expense of having our seats FIA approved, even though few will end up in pure race cars.
The following from Recaro's website FAQ - does that mean you will need ABE approval too (for road use) ?

Q: Can RECARO racing seats with FIA homologation be used in road traffic?

No, RECARO racing seats with FIA homologation do not have a General Type Approval (ABE) and therefore cannot be used in road traffic. However, RECARO offers the racing seat Pole Position ABE, which is licensed for road use.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon RS Seats

Probably not unless there was a strong demand. Rather than trampolines we would make additional removable cushions for the base and back, akin to the 993RS version of the original.

Target weight for the cloth version is around 5-6kg without mounts or additional cushions.
I have an authentic 993 RS seat, without the supplemental cushions for lumbar and seat, and it is very comfortable. I was able to purchase the lumbar cushion from Porsche, but the seat cushion is NLA.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JenSP
The following from Recaro's website FAQ - does that mean you will need ABE approval too (for road use) ?

Q: Can RECARO racing seats with FIA homologation be used in road traffic?

No, RECARO racing seats with FIA homologation do not have a General Type Approval (ABE) and therefore cannot be used in road traffic. However, RECARO offers the racing seat Pole Position ABE, which is licensed for road use.
Thanks ofr pointing this out. The Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis (ABE) is an operating permit for the use of cars or car parts in relation to German regulations, now partially replaced by EU (E mark) certification. Perhaps one of our European members can shed light to whether these regulations still apply to a vehicle over 20 years old?

Either way, the seats will be sold with FIA approval which in our view assures purchasers that they are a quality, tested, race-approved product. It will thus be up to the individual to choose to fit alternative parts to their cars and by inference accept responsibility that the car remains fit for its intended use.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tooling up will start next week and we expect to have prototypes from the mould within 6 weeks. Lots of details to sort out so will keep you all posted with updates as and when I can.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Where does this project stand?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:48 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Any updates Colin?

I'm seriously considering selling my authentic 964 RS seat to fund a pair of these.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:53 PM
gristle101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am late to the game but would like to share that I would be interested in jumping in on a pair of these seats in cloth for the mentioned price and shipped to Eastern US. I also think that going forward with the making of these seats would be a no brainer if the only thing you are concerned about is demand.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for everyone's interest in the 9mRS seat. After a VERY busy few weeks I'm pleased to say that I have cleared a lot of my backlog and will be focussing on our parts program again over the next few days. Provided all goes to plan (!) I expect to have the first batch of pre-production (non-FIA) seats available sometime mid-August with 2nd batch production versions done a month later. There will be an exclusive Rennlist group buy deal offered so please keep watching for another update.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:00 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Awesome! Hope those hollow RS sways are next.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Latest update straight from the production shop:

After inspecting the original 993RS seat back in detail, it was noticed that the return lip around the seat was reinforced with a wet-lay of glass cloth after moulding, the suspicion being that this reinforcement was added to get around production problems de-moulding the seat from a one-piece tool. Further inspection of the seat highlighted very shallow draft angles which would make our task no easier, hence it was an easy decision to make our production tool in three pieces. The photos show wooden weirs being built around the seat to form the joint faces of the two sides of the tool which will then be removed to make the centre section of the tool. The tool is made from carbon fibre, the joints bolted together and aligned with 12mm steel dowels.

That was a week or so ago, so with the tool finished it was at last time to make the first seat. Here the shell is being laid up in pre-impregnated carbon fibre which will then be vacuum bagged and autoclaved (baked) to harden the heat setting epoxy resin. I should have more photos of the finished shell later this week.
Attached Images      
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Amazing work Colin! Sorry to get off topic, but what are the chances that you’ll start working on hollow RS style sway bars in the next 12 months?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The hollow sway bars are on my list, it was the manufacturer who stalled that project due to a massive order from a major car company taking all their production capacity. I'll make enquiries, however clearly we have to finish what we started with the RS seats and RS billet uprights first and get these past break-even point before making more investments.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:13 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

The hollow sway bars are on my list, it was the manufacturer who stalled that project due to a massive order from a major car company taking all their production capacity. I'll make enquiries, however clearly we have to finish what we started with the RS seats and RS billet uprights first and get these past break-even point before making more investments.
Of course. Makes total sense! Thanks Colin. Keep on building great parts for our cars. Love it!

Quick Reply: Carbon RS seats for 964RS, 993RS and Speedster