Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What's that popping sound... bent tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:27 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
Do you have "monoballs" as part of the new suspension? Monoballs will "pop" when you make a tight turn (particularly at start up).

/
Can you explain? I've never heard of this, and cant imagine what would "pop".
Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound was happening before the suspension upgrade. Koni FSD suspension i might add.

I am going to jack the front up tomorrow and turn the wheel and see if the sound happens. It happens left or right uturn syle turn.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Well I put the front of the car jacked up. Turn the wheel to the right all the way, and i heard the popping sound coming from the front. Then i started turning the wheel back to center and heard the sound again on the way back.

Now the wheels are center, i tried this again turning to the right and I didn't hear it this time. Werid.

I partially took off the boot and tried my best to take pics. I dont think the steeing rack is bent which means easy replacement of tie rod assmy. Hopefully

Old 12-17-2014, 02:58 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, it looks way more bent in that pic. You need to be under there and have someone turn wheel lock to lock so you can watch what's going on. At the very least, set up your phone to video and do it yourself.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That discolored area on the inner tie-rod. Is it scraping inside the subframe?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Ya a friend is coming over later today to help turn the wheel. And i did notice that scraping which i will look at later today.

The only thing is i think the noise happens most when the cars not on jacks (under pressure). But we will see
Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zenithblue993
The sound was happening before the suspension upgrade. Koni FSD suspension i might add.

I am going to jack the front up tomorrow and turn the wheel and see if the sound happens. It happens left or right uturn syle turn.
I was going to mention, don't expect any sound without a load on the wheels, but you already are on top of it.

OMG!!! That looks distressing bad to me! Difficult to believe the sounds along with the steering and handling of the car, didn't communicate any sooner, the issues or urgency, to you as the driver.

Maybe you should fix it and consider selling it...Just doesn't seem like the right set of wheels for your driving enjoyment? No communication between car and driver...
Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zenithblue993
I assume I hit a curb or something. Who knows.
This is a pretty bizarre and disturbing statement.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

That really is a massive bend... Unless you were passed out drunk, you would know if you hit it... It would have bent the wheel and ruined the tire too.

I can only think of a couple of scenarios where you can get that kind of damage and not know it.

1) Someone borrowed the car, wrecked it, had the wheel repaired and didn't tell you.
2) Tow truck driver hooked the tie rod and winched the car.
3) Hit something sticking up out of the street with the tie rod... I would assume that other parts under the car would get hit too though...
4) Multiple personality disorder.

How likely is #2?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
This is a pretty bizarre and disturbing statement.
All the more reason to put the car up for sale to someone who might be conscious when driving.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:16 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
All the more reason to put the car up for sale to someone who might be conscious when driving.
I'm guessing the car was towed to a shop, who saw what they had done and tried to "fix it" by eyeballing the alignment...

You would have to be pretty numb not to notice this... So unless the OP is eating crayons, something else is going on....
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

That is a very significant bend which would take a lot of wheel impact to occur, or the car has been towed/flatbedded incorrectly, or other reasons that jscott82 has pointed out. Scarey stuff!

This sort of damage can also affect the rack itself, but given it has been making noise for quite a while, you might have escaped any seal issues.

I would get a good shop to inspect your entire front suspension, including all the ball joints, A-arm joints, struts, towers, etc. to make sure nothing else is also damaged. If it all checks out, replace that arm and get the car aligned.

Check the rear as well, its common if this occurred during towing for the $#)($)(* drivers to use the toe control arms as a latch point, bending then as well.

What does your tire wear look like?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-17-2014, 06:45 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

lol i'm actually thinking it might of happened with #2 the tow truck. I don't remember hitting such a curve.

My friend came over and we were trouble shooting it. Two things we discovered.

One: When turning all the way to the left the inner rod strikes the nut and causes a little scuffle. But this is not the source of the noise

Two: Im 99% sure the noise is coming from the suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLE2...ature=youtu.be

And i did have new koni's put in last year, and the noise has been happening for about a year. so...
Video under the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLE2...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-17-2014, 06:47 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

And thanks for the advice, i will take it to the shop for inspection. The tire wear nothing out of the ususal from what i remember but ill go out and take a look.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I had same noise on a car a few years ago - we ended up replacing the top hat, the bearing was worn out and had some slop and would bind and then give. However, it can be a number of things, like the spring binding, but it sounds like the noise is coming lower than the top of the shock and is part of the rotation of the hub. Noise can be carried by the metal parts and be very misleading though so be very observant.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: What's that popping sound... bent tie rod?