Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 97 C4S DOES NOT handle like a cup car because its heavy and has stock suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 209 Posts

So Is it pre-load ? Or is it height adjustable?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 AM
D1 Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really glad I posted this because I am learning a lot. This explains why there is no excess wear on my tires though my front right side is noticeably higher on the threaded spindle although it doesn't appear to be lower to the eye when its sitting on the ground. Ha ha the negative camber in the rear was so excessive that the fronts have only been changed 3 times opposed to the rears being changed 5 times according to the previous owner. Tomorrow, those numbers will change to 4 and 6 times. I went with Continental DW which Im very familiar with. Having owned several sports cars, I've pretty much tried every Z,Y,W tire out there. My past three cars have had the DWs on them (not DWS). Thanks for all the insight guys. I guess this car just feels like it handles better than my 996 did since we've determined that my suspension is stock. I'm looking at bilstein coil overs now. Next oil change, I'll install some coil overs. Dan at vivid is fixing me up tomorrow as well. Going with an ecu tune and the fabspeed intake.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkc4s
993 C4S stock suspension does not have adjustable height. However, the front shocks have a little bit of adjustment for purpose of setting 50-50 weight distribution.

To fix the weight distribution, you put each front wheel on a scale (need two scales, one for each wheel). The you can adjust a front shock height to get as close as possible to the 50-50 weight distribution between left and right front wheels.

The 993 shop manual describes the procedure.
Cross weights, not side to side. Unless we've shifted over to formula cars, or McLaren F1s.

About as good as I can get: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/598118-rainy-day-project-alignment.html

Nice primer: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...orner-weights/
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 AM
grappamon
Rennlist Member

I guess it depends on how you interpret height adjustments. It is height adjustable but only a little bit for setting up the car not for lowering it. So technically it is height adjustable ~1" total. The spec sheet has a tolerance of +/- .4" in height. I will post it when I find it.

I used 4 scales when I did mine...
This was with a full tank of gas.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Stock 993's do NOT come with height adjustable perches.
Just Sayin'
I disagree...there is thread on the front "stock" shock, not enough to do any sort of a major corner weighting, but it is there.

The rear is adjustable by plastic shims...there are.were three sizes available from Porsche, in a progression of sizes, one larger than another....small, medium, large? But no combination of the few threads available and the shims would allow for a real world corner balance.

At least this is what I remember from back in the day when such arcana was important to me...now with MCS shocks/struts (Bragging!!!), I need not worry about such things.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-23-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
It was 10 years ago...
And?

Are you saying that he forgot what the cup car felt like or that cup car technology in 2004 was not exceeding stock 993 handling?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The OP, a newbie, wrote with hyperbole from a decade-old memory; give it a rest, Captain Literal.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

I too am glad you posted this. I has re-confirmed in me that any information I get on the internet needs to be triple or quadruple checked various ways before accepting it as truth. I watched people spout facts, that were obvious mistakes. Imagine if there was no one to straighten the record, and the issues that can be created!

Anyway your set up can probably be improved on. If you appreciate good handling, there are many good options for you.

Simply send me the Les Paul in the avitar, and I will take care of the rest......
Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mkc4s
993 C4S stock suspension does not have adjustable height. However, the front shocks have a little bit of adjustment for purpose of setting 50-50 weight distribution.

To fix the weight distribution, you put each front wheel on a scale (need two scales, one for each wheel). The you can adjust a front shock height to get as close as possible to the 50-50 weight distribution between left and right front wheels.

The 993 shop manual describes the procedure.
I beg to differ. How could you adjust the threaded perch for "weight distribution" and in essence not effect the height? The threads will automatically lower or higher the car depending on adjustment.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
And?

Are you saying that he forgot what the cup car felt like or that cup car technology in 2004 was not exceeding stock 993 handling?
forgot
Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Let me close with this....

I am nearly 100% certain the original post in this thread was posted "tongue in check", correct?? But in case it wasn't, and having gone thorough numerous iterations of 993 suspension (Stock, M030 RoW, PSS9s and now a MCS suspension with all ERP rear links), and noting that I have gotten plenty of track experience, with all of the aforementioned, I speak with some degree of authority and first hand knowledge.

I have driven a 2004 GT3, and I have a 993 track car with a totally updated suspension. My car in no way handles like a GT3 or Cup Car...it isn't at that level, nor will it ever be. The 993 suspension (Oh I hate to say this) is olde school, designed in 1993, or thereabouts. It has the same front suspension as a 964 car...designed in the late 80's. The rear LSA suspension was "borrowed" from the 928, and when were they build? The 2004 GT3 and especially the Cup Car (dare I say this?) is a modern suspension.

Part of handling is clearly weight. A C4s with driver and fuels, is at least 350 to 400 Lbs heavier than the 993 C4S. You could/I could make a universal statement, heavy cars don't handle as well as their lighter brethren. It's the laws of physics at play.

The C4S is notorious for "pushing", not a positive feature, nor does it impart GT3 and Cup Car handling, IMHO.

I think I could believe the comment on the superior C4S handling, were I high on something and the report was from a Pro such as Craig Stanton, or???, drove the magical C4S car...and reported back.

I need to get a life and get off this post...I will unsubscribe.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM
grappamon
Rennlist Member

I guess we got off on a tangent debate regarding the adjustability of the factory suspension but nevertheless it’s all good info sharing.
The factory suspension settings have a +/- 10mm (.787”) tolerance band. This means that factory setup cars can vary as much as .787” in ride height. This also means that variation can be achieved with the factory components.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM
D1 Guy
Advanced

Sorry about the cup car reference guys. Obviously I stepped on some toes and that certainly wasn't my intent. I do appreciate all the other fellas looking past my title and answering my question. I got my question answered and learned a lot in the process. For that I'm grateful. I corrected my thread title at an attempt to unruffle the offendeds feathers. It was over 10 years ago, so clearly I shouldn't have made the comment if I didn't have a perfect recollection of my driving experience. Was just excited as to how my c4s handled and that I thought it felt better than my 03 c4s did in the corners. Then I found the threads on the spindle and was intrigued. That's all.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So is this going to be a track car or a street car? I've never seen a case where modifying the stock suspension of a high performance car did anything to improve the ride on everyday roads for the same reason that F1 cars set their suspensions as soft as possible on bumpy rough tracks. I'm guessing that you are a better driver today than you were ten years ago, and that accounts for some of the difference in your experience with the cars. As for new vs old technolgy and the virtues of each, my best suggestion is to read Nassim Taleb's book "Antifragile." Technological sophistcation and complexity leads to a greater and greater loss of reliability. If the prices were equal I'd swap my 996 for a 993 or a 964 any day of the week.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 PM
D1 Guy
Advanced

Lol this is a street car that will see a little bit of track time if possible. Just time trial stuff. I just raised it up on the lift and noticed the threads so that prompted me to ask about the adjustable suspension.......then it went in a totally different direction. It's a street car that has stock suspension. I know that now. I was merely asking if the threaded suspension was normal. That's all. I agree with your assessment though. The 993 and the 964 are more fun to drive and handle more like a drivers car.

Quick Reply: My 97 C4S DOES NOT handle like a cup car because its heavy and has stock suspension.