Oil leak - what is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak - what is this part?

Hi all,
I have a small oil leak that appears to start at (I think) a sensor and drips down to the centre of the engine. The picture is taken from below on the driver's side looking toward the back of the car and behind the differential. Sorry for the crappy pic....hope you can make it out.

What is this part?
Thanks,
Ron
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmm. That looks like the flywheel sensor. Not a typical leak point unless it is the rear main seal (RMS). Not likely if the rubber gasket is around the sensor. Probably coming from somewhere above. It is nearly impossible to locate the source of the leak without cleaning first.

Get under there and clean the whole area as far as you can reach. Then drive the car 10 minutes and have another look.

Last edited by Vorsicht; 07-22-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Ok, will do.
I did use an inspection mirror to look for any traces of oil above that sensor and didn't see anything but I'll clean it up as best I can and take another look.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also look in front of area and see if there's seapage that gets drawn back during forward movement. The film on the front of the sensor could've accumulated from a leak forward of it.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

So, I cleaned up the area as best I could and took it out for another run but it still looks like the oil is coming from the flywheel sensor. Upon closer inspection of the sensor, it looks like I'm missing a grommet as I can see the teeth of the flywheel. I've attached an extract from PET and believe part #26 is what I need.
However, that doesn't explain why oil is coming from this area unless I have an RMS leak or ???
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what the part is, but if your missing it, I'd just buy one and install it.

Last edited by ble2011; 07-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
Not sure what the part is, but if your missing it, I'd just buy one and install it.
Yes, I'll do that but I was more concerned about why oil appears to be coming from this area...is it a sign of an RMS leak?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geldgrube
Yes, I'll do that but I was more concerned about why oil appears to be coming from this area...is it a sign of an RMS leak?
If you are sure the leak is coming from within the housing then it is most likely the RMS. When was the last time it was changed? Mileage on car? If it is not leaking too much you can just wait until you need a clutch job and do it then (or for some other engine out maintenance).

This is a bit curious because usually there would be oil at the bottom of the housing also. Can you check that?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Yes, Part 26 is what you'll need. You can get one here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...&I1.x=6&I1.y=7
Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
If you are sure the leak is coming from within the housing then it is most likely the RMS. When was the last time it was changed? Mileage on car? If it is not leaking too much you can just wait until you need a clutch job and do it then (or for some other engine out maintenance). This is a bit curious because usually there would be oil at the bottom of the housing also. Can you check that?
There's 85000 miles on the car right now but according to the paperwork I have, the rms was replaced at around 75000 miles when the transmission and front differential were out for a rebuild. There is oil at the bottom of the housing but I think it's just dripping from the sensor opening. Clutch was replaced at around 65000 miles with an RS clutch and LWF at the same time.

I'll order the part and keep an eye on the leak. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 AM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Well, I replaced the rubber grommet for the flywheel sensor but when I checked it a few days later, it was gone again! Am I missing something or does that part just sit in there with no way of retaining it in position?

In terms of the oil leak, is there anything above the sensor where oil can leak from?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Bump for Vorsicht...can you help??
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by geldgrube
There's 85000 miles on the car right now but according to the paperwork I have, the rms was replaced at around 75000 miles when the transmission and front differential were out for a rebuild. There is oil at the bottom of the housing but I think it's just dripping from the sensor opening. Clutch was replaced at around 65000 miles with an RS clutch and LWF at the same time.

I'll order the part and keep an eye on the leak. Thanks for the feedback.
Even though the RMS was replaced 10K miles ago if it was not installed properly it could be leaking again, or it was never replaced as claimed. However, that does sound like an RMS leak since there's nothing else that could be leaking behind the flywheel, once the oil hits the flywheel it sprays oil all over the backside of the flywheel, it gets real messy. I'm doing an RMS change on my truck now and what a bloody mess it has created, there's oil everywhere.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised the rubber piece up and went. It is a friction fit and I remember I had to use a screw driver to get it in tight.

Back to the RMS. How much oil is coming out? I would just watch it and as said before you can get to it whenever the engine needs to be dropped (like a clutch job). On the other hand if oil is pooling on your floor you will have to address it.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised the rubber piece up and went. It is a friction fit and I remember I had to use a screw driver to get it in tight.

Back to the RMS. How much oil is coming out? I would just watch it and as said before you can get to it whenever the engine needs to be dropped (like a clutch job). On the other hand if oil is pooling on your floor you will have to address it.

Quick Reply: Oil leak - what is this part?