993 Forum 1995-1998

Front Windshield Templates

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Wow, so much discussion over my offer to provide front and rear window fitment templates or drawings to anyone that wanted them and the foolish response of "I not so understand".

As far as the previous post that windshield fitting is "Very, very easy", I would reference the numerous horror stories of bad fits.

I can only conclude, As Ripley said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPa5oVG-nII
settle down chief.

I'm the first person to call a fool a fool, but not everyone knows what a windshield template is...nor is it really necessary for them to know.

maybe have a Heineken and rethink the attitude?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Regarding the windscreen templates, trust me, to have a factory finish, front or rear windscreen replacement and I say a FACTORY FINISH, you need the templates.
I know I have just gone through weeks getting my front and rear glass removed and fitted a number of times to get it right.
You also need to look at the inside finish as well.
Most people don't realise, once a window has been cut out the inner trim on the glass is damaged and can not be repaired, but the issue can be considered, during the re installation.

You may all have different ideas, I will make this statement.

How often have you said, "It is common sense", well what is the most uncommon thing these days, "common sense"
So it is a bit like refitting front and rear glass, it's easy.... not so.......

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 239 Posts

Can you post a pic of the template? Are we talking an aluminum form in the shape of the windshield to pattern the glass? Or spacers to fit around OEM glass to ensure proper gap?

I ask this as I cracked my windshield this weekend and it's being replaced tomorrow. I assume (big assumption I know) the installer knows what he is doing, but would like to have as much background as possible.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benton
jscott - saw you at CMP over the weekend rumbling at the gas pumps. Nice car! My dad and I were out dusting off our Rotax karts.
Thanks.. Still shaking off the cobwebs... but had a great weekend?

I keep saying i'm going to try the carts, but never have those things are FAST!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Jeff,
You need 2 x 4mm spacers at the bottom of the windscreen between the windscreen and the aperture, this is to stop the windscreen from sliding down. Set the height position

Then there are 4 x templates that sit in the middle of top, bottom and each side to judge the depth of the glass in the aperture. The templates are about US$640.00 from Pelican, I can sell them for $175.00, but that is in Australia , not going to help you tomorrow.
The templates sit on the outside of the glass, held there when pushing the glass into place,
if your windscreen has not been replaced before, make some now, they are plastic 5mm thick, but you can make some out of thin timber.
Just sits on the glass, then on the aperture, without the rubber trim, just file some timber bits up.

For reference-
Check, that is if your windscreen has not been replaced before, that is the gap between the inside rubber trim and the glass.
The left and right sides should touch, the bottom could have a gap from 0 - 1 mm and the top 0 - 3mm.
Most windscreen and rear windows have the wrong gap and it looks non factory and crap, once they have been replaced.

Also the windscreen adhesive should be applied to the windscreen and not the aperture, this will stop the adhesive from smearing on the inside, when the glass is adjusted into place, as the windscreen from new has a slight rubber lip on the inside that sits against the internal rubber trim.
Get the installer to brush touch the damaged paint work in the aperture created from the tool to cut out the old window, I believe this is the cause of so many rust issues with 993's these days.
You will notice slight scrape marks, in the paint back to bare metal, big rust issue.
Then get the window installer to fill the gap between the plastic clip (that surrounds the windscreen that the rubber trim fits into) and the aperture with window adhesive, this will stop rust in the windscreen aperture and I guess will stop the dreaded 993 windscreen squeak.

Make sure the side gaps are the same each side and should be parallel with the aperture
should be right with the 4mm spacers at the bottom.

And all the critics on the forum say fitting windows it's easy, windscreen installer don't get paid much for each window, they try and do as many a day as they can and I don't blame them, but as you can see they will not take the time to do all of the above, as it takes a couple of hours to do it right... Time is money.

Hope that helps, good luck.............

Last edited by Neil Perry; 09-12-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Awesome... Thanks a million...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also Jeff, just for discussion I had mine replaced last fall and called around until I found a local (to us in Carolinas) installer that was keen on 993 work and offered an exact match to the OE windshield. (I was told by several sources that genuine Porsche OE part has been long discontinued…?)
Oddly enough, it was Safelight that came out to the house to do the work. I am a bit "**** retentive" and was very happy with the results.

-Now on with the drama:

Mike Cap- Apologies for presuming you had a sense of humor and many thanks for offering the templates to those who want or need them. Very cool gesture. I also want to thank you for pointing out what a fool I am for not knowing and explaining what they were for as I honestly had no idea even considering the above mentioned OCD issue I have. While I am sure many can argue there may have been a more tactful way of pointing this out, your "New York Bite" has only supported the common misconception that everyone up there that drives Porsches are uptight and rude. However, I not so bereeving.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Sicko,

Thanks for the kind note. You wouldn't be related to Ernest Hemingway by any chance? The run-on paragraph kind of reminded me of his writing style.

Actually, NYS is not really 'up' from South Carolina, we are north. And there is another part of NYS besides New York City. I'm in the other part (near Syracuse) and we are presently making plans to secede from New York City.... but you know about the whole cessation thing, right?

As far as "uptight and rude", I'm about the only Porsche driver that is like that. The rest of them are pretty good guys and gals.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone try to do this themselves? I have seen it done many times and it requires two men to get it right..I have always lived in parts of the country that have experienced indies who know who to use to change 993 glass. Some even have the templets. This is not a DIY job as most owners will only have to replace their windshield once. Doing this once does not make someone an expert.Find a compident shop and pay them to have it done by people who change Porsche glass for a living.If they damage anything you will have real recourse.This is common sence.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Sicko,

Thanks for the kind note. You wouldn't be related to Ernest Hemingway by any chance? The run-on paragraph kind of reminded me of his writing style.

Actually, NYS is not really 'up' from South Carolina, we are north. And there is another part of NYS besides New York City. I'm in the other part (near Syracuse) and we are presently making plans to secede from New York City.... but you know about the whole cessation thing, right?

As far as "uptight and rude", I'm about the only Porsche driver that is like that. The rest of them are pretty good guys and gals.
I just realized that even though we have never met, I think we would be good friends as your post made me chuckle.

For the record, I hail from Oregon. Only lived in the Carolinas for a couple of years via Detroit and Pasadena, CA but know what you were getting at and even have relatives in upstate NY so I know what you were getting at there as well even though I disagree.
I think I have jacked your thread enough. Apologies to all.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
Also Jeff, just for discussion I had mine replaced last fall and called around until I found a local (to us in Carolinas) installer that was keen on 993 work and offered an exact match to the OE windshield. (I was told by several sources that genuine Porsche OE part has been long discontinued…?)
Just to clarify for others reading this...OE windshield is available...last price check several months ago from Sunset was under $800 plus shipping.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I ask this as I cracked my windshield this weekend and it's being replaced tomorrow. I assume (big assumption I know) the installer knows what he is doing, but would like to have as much background as possible.

Thanks
Jeff
Originally Posted by il pirata
Just to clarify for others reading this...OE windshield is available...last price check several months ago from Sunset was under $800 plus shipping.
Jeff, what did you pay for the glass? I replaced the glass on the 993 race car 3 weeks ago with a used one based on the cost of a new one and longevity of glass on a race car. Having tear offs installed to hopefully delay the inevitable.
I just bought another used windshield for spare.

$800 is not bad, but what does Sunset charge to ship? I have never bought from them as my dealer stuff comes from Atlanta and the shipping is always fair.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
How to tell difference? Is there a Porsche/Audi marking on lower right of yours?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Jeff, what did you pay for the glass? I replaced the glass on the 993 race car 3 weeks ago with a used one based on the cost of a new one and longevity of glass on a race car. Having tear offs installed to hopefully delay the inevitable.
I just bought another used windshield for spare.

$800 is not bad, but what does Sunset charge to ship? I have never bought from them as my dealer stuff comes from Atlanta and the shipping is always fair.
Installer just left.. out the door for $646...

Where did you get tear offs? I checked many years ago and remember them being $500, so just opted to replace the glass every couple of years (CMP is hell on glass, lots of sand)
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
I just realized that even though we have never met, I think we would be good friends as your post made me chuckle.

For the record, I hail from Oregon. Only lived in the Carolinas for a couple of years via Detroit and Pasadena, CA but know what you were getting at and even have relatives in upstate NY so I know what you were getting at there as well even though I disagree.
I think I have jacked your thread enough. Apologies to all.
My friend, I am seriously just pulling your leg - well not about trying to get Upstate out of the NYC clutches...... I have appreciated your posts here at RL and apoloigize for being a wise-***. It is in my DNA. Take care.

Quick Reply: Front Windshield Templates