993 Forum 1995-1998

Big power 993 engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Its a 335 BHP, 280 lbs-ft 3.6 with our own resonance-plenum, ITB intake system, custom (mild) cams, with gently massaged stock heads and OEM pistons. The header/muffler system is our own design as well and uses Motec M84 Engine Management to give complete control and additional resolution to the fueling and timing maps.

Its benign enough that I'm now planning to build one for my own street car.
I can tell you that, mated to my car with my transmission and my right foot - it will pull GT3s all day long and I took point bys from a 6Cup and GT3RS last weekend...both could reel me in at the end of the two longer straights, but I had so much out of the preceeding corners they couldn't stay with me.

The car is exceptional, of course, but the engine, its torque curve and throttle response make a huge difference.

Oil temp remained at 185* all day during hard sessions and in 90+ degree heat.

Last edited by KaiB; 05-10-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: my grammar sux
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleAllroad
Juha G's post is interesting. So, I get the 200 cell cats but exactly what is the Motec ECU doing that the stock ECU is not? I understand a stock ECU from Porsche has to take into consideration a broad range of operating parameters and attendant countermeasures to maintain a safe operating environment for the engine. But, a roughly 30hp difference between Motec and stock? Btw, I'm not caling into question Juha's results nor am I calling BS...I'm just curious what the differences are between Motec and stock.

One of the most interesting threads in a long time
Where does the 30hp come from?

80% from "optimizing" the ignition maps (advancing ignition)
20% from from the 200-cell cats (and correcting the fuel maps)

I don't really care what people think or say about this. That is the result I got. Both runs were on the sme dyno, same operator, same gear, close to identical athmospheric conditions etc.

Now let's wait till I get car on the same dyno with the supercharger...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Where does the 30hp come from?

80% from "optimizing" the ignition maps (advancing ignition)
20% from from the 200-cell cats (and correcting the fuel maps)

I don't really care what people think or say about this. That is the result I got. Both runs were on the sme dyno, same operator, same gear, close to identical athmospheric conditions etc.

I concur, 9m achieves similar results with the 9m Motec upgrade on the 964 and I have found the same % gain on the decatted 993nVr engine in the back of my 3.2 Carrera. I also find more minor wins from individual cylinder tuning, injection timing optimisation, dynamically matched injectors and air intake changes. The bottom line with a correctly installed Motec conversion (not just the ecu) is that it allows you to play without sacrificing headroom (in spite of what the doubters continuously think).
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I concur, 9m achieves similar results with the 9m Motec upgrade on the 964 and I have found the same % gain on the decatted 993nVr engine in the back of my 3.2 Carrera. I also find more minor wins from individual cylinder tuning, injection timing optimisation, dynamically matched injectors and air intake changes. The bottom line with a correctly installed Motec conversion (not just the ecu) is that it allows you to play without sacrificing headroom (in spite of what the doubters continuously think).
+3 With my Vi-Pec system I found the same gains, I removed the Cats altogether and have gone with headers and straight through mufflers. Also the ability to fine tune for other changes (injectors, Cams etc) Is a huge plus for me....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Its a 335 BHP, 280 lbs-ft 3.6 with our own resonance-plenum, ITB intake system, custom (mild) cams, with gently massaged stock heads and OEM pistons. The header/muffler system is our own design as well and uses Motec M84 Engine Management to give complete control and additional resolution to the fueling and timing maps.

I like it.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Rick when you and I are ready we should try to get a group discount from Mike Bruns
Rich
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Rick when you and I are ready we should try to get a group discount from Mike Bruns
Rich
I'm local rich, what type of work does Mike Bruns provide for 993s? Itbs are in my C2's future
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Mike is an engine builder with a great track record of building quality air cooled engines his shop is next door to Alex Job up in Travarse FL
Rich

http://www.jbracing.com/
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Question while all these smart engine guys are on this thread. I've heard that the 964 head is a much better design than the 993 head. I know there are some differences with exhaust mountings, SAI, etc., but could you do a top end rebuild replacing the 993 heads with 964 heads and optimal valve configuration (not sure what that is) and expect to see gains with a properly tuned either motoronic or Motec setup? If so, what HP do you think such a setup would produce?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Question while all these smart engine guys are on this thread. I've heard that the 964 head is a much better design than the 993 head. I know there are some differences with exhaust mountings, SAI, etc., but could you do a top end rebuild replacing the 993 heads with 964 heads and optimal valve configuration (not sure what that is) and expect to see gains with a properly tuned either motoronic or Motec setup? If so, what HP do you think such a setup would produce?

Good point, in principle you are correct for those tuners who prefer high velocity (small) intake ports. The downside is that the 964 cylinder head only has one pair of exhaust manifold stud drillings, hence whilst the heads will fit the engine, the RHS 993 heat exchanger (manifold) will not fit the 964 head. This was one of the deciding factors to me pushing the go button on the 9m billet head program.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Colin,

You can't just chop the mounts off the heat exchangers, turn 90(?) degrees and reweld?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Colin,

You can't just chop the mounts off the heat exchangers, turn 90(?) degrees and reweld?
Yes you can, I have seen it done.

Companies like fab speed put a square flange (4 bolt holes)on their headers so they can fit both the 993 and 964.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve, somehow I have a feeling my car will end up with one of your creations when I decide to have the top end done. I havent sent much money your way recently. May need to change that this winter
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Steve, somehow I have a feeling my car will end up with one of your creations when I decide to have the top end done. I havent sent much money your way recently. May need to change that this winter

Hey Mark,

Nice car!!!

Happy to help you, anytime. I have some ideas for you whenever you decide to "pull the trigger".

Be well,
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Mark,

Nice car!!!

Happy to help you, anytime. I have some ideas for you whenever you decide to "pull the trigger".

Be well,
Steve, you have an email

Quick Reply: Big power 993 engines