993 Forum 1995-1998

Vacuum Leak Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vacuum Leak Testing

I'm trying to test my vacuum hoses and fittings for possible vacuum leaks. Does anyone have a diagram of where these lines run from/to or where typical trouble spots are?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you need more PM me your email & I'll send them to you

Trouble spots are the vacuum connections behind the heater blower motor, & ripped vacuum servos. The system is real easy & can be gone through in an hour.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Does anyone have a diagram of where these lines run from/to or where typical trouble spots are?
Matt, the one above is for a VRAM, so don't expect to find all the components listed.

Maybe if you listed whats not working or what it is doing that makes you think you have a vacuum leak.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks Mike/Alex. My car is of course w/o VRAM. I don't know if I do have a vacuum leak. The issue is with stalling with a LWF.. I have adjusted the ISV and installed a Steve Wong chip with the LWF mod. I will changed the plugs shortly as they are due. My driving style has been adjusted but I still get the occasional stall especially when I depress the clutch too early.

I had the car out in January and it stalled a few times which was very irritating. In another post Steve Weiner suggested I get the engine checked for vacuum leaks. I may just take it into a local shop to see what they can do once I've got the plugs changed out. I'm taking it down to California in June and want this problem gone. Perhaps I can get it in to Rennsport on my way down if I can't get it resolved up here.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mike/Alex. My car is of course w/o VRAM. I don't know if I do have a vacuum leak. The issue is with stalling with a LWF.. I have adjusted the ISV and installed a Steve Wong chip with the LWF mod. I will changed the plugs shortly as they are due. My driving style has been adjusted but I still get the occasional stall especially when I depress the clutch too early.

I had the car out in January and it stalled a few times which was very irritating. In another post Steve Weiner suggested I get the engine checked for vacuum leaks. I may just take it into a local shop to see what they can do once I've got the plugs changed out. I'm taking it down to California in June and want this problem gone. Perhaps I can get it in to Rennsport on my way down if I can't get it resolved up here.
Fastest way to check on a 95,
you can either pull the vacuum line that goes to the front HVAC, & put a vacuum tester on that. Or you can open the front trunk, & pull the vacuum line there right under the windshield on the passenger side. Apply vacuum.

I had a vacuum leak on my 95, it turned out to be the connection to the vacuum canister under the intake manifold on the drivers side. You can't really see it, but you can do it by feel.

What I found is if your AC flaps close, you most likely don't have a vacuum line leak. I think there is a vacuum line diagram in the engine compartment.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Fastest way to check on a 95,
you can either pull the vacuum line that goes to the front HVAC, & put a vacuum tester on that. Or you can open the front trunk, & pull the vacuum line there right under the windshield on the passenger side. Apply vacuum.

I had a vacuum leak on my 95, it turned out to be the connection to the vacuum canister under the intake manifold on the drivers side. You can't really see it, but you can do it by feel.

What I found is if your AC flaps close, you most likely don't have a vacuum line leak. I think there is a vacuum line diagram in the engine compartment.
Thanks Mike. I have a hand type vacuum pump with a gauge. Would this be adequate for testing? I assume that if I pull a vacuum that it should hold or will it gradually drop? How can I tell if the AC flaps close? I realize now that I know almost nothing about the vacuum system on my car.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mike. I have a hand type vacuum pump with a gauge. Would this be adequate for testing? I assume that if I pull a vacuum that it should hold or will it gradually drop? How can I tell if the AC flaps close? I realize now that I know almost nothing about the vacuum system on my car.
Yea, that is what I used. It should hold pressure for some time. To test the flap, you put vacuum on the flap, one pull should move the flap, & make sure it hold vacuum. Same test for every other flap, solenoid, & canister. You can also turn on the engine, & see how much vacuum it pulls at idle on different connections in the line.

Seriously, spend a little time, & you will get it to know it, it's easy. I really think there are only 5-6 connections on the 95.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
matt777
Drifting

I will have to spend some time and get to know the system. If the vacuum is a problem I'm thinking that the intake vacuum should be low. I wonder what a good vacuum reading is. Some research is required.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak Testing