San Francisco Bay Area Body Shop Rec sought

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Francisco Bay Area Body Shop Rec sought

All,

I have a several dents from no paint damage to deep scratches and chipped paint. I need to get an assessment if repair requires a respray. Any recommendations for body shop here in the Bay Area to do the work?

TIA
sjsfiji
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Cecil Beach at Body Styles in San Jose a number of times and have been very happy.

I have heard good things about Michael Carlsson (sp?) as well
Old 08-22-2011, 04:48 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply... that was fast!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Bay Area is a big place. Where you looking? If in San Francisco, International Sport Motors. I've heard good things about BeeLine in San Jose, but that was a decade ago....
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

"The Works" Auto Body in Santa Clara. They do Ferrari dealer work. Top notch.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had work done by Cecil Beach recently and would not recommend them, but I'm very picky.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

JPP

Would you PM me regarding your recent experience. I was thinking of having my stone guards replaced by Cecil so if his work/service has degraded, I would look elsewhere

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Call S-car-go and ask them. They might do it, or there is also a place near the Home Depot in San Rafael I think. Can't remember the name but tons of Porsches in there. They fixed the boneheadedness of a non-Pcar place I took my first one to (before I knew about Rennlist).
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can recommend Anthony's in San Rafael if you are looking for a good shop in the north bay. I've not had any P-car work done, but they've done very nice work on a Mercedes and BMW for me in the past. They always have lots of Ferraris/Maseratis, Porsches and other very high end cars there...so they are used to picky clientelle.
As always, no affilliation, etc... ymmv.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hal m
JPP

Would you PM me regarding your recent experience. I was thinking of having my stone guards replaced by Cecil so if his work/service has degraded, I would look elsewhere

Thanks
Small Novella sent.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JPS
Call S-car-go and ask them.
Whatever you do, don't go to their recommended shop Craig Whitman's Autobody .. unless you like people who don't do what they say they're going to do, try and charge you anyway and make you wait for it .... just sayin'.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
user 70801213
Banned

German Auto Body in Santa Clara near SJ airport. been going there for years. contact John.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking myself. S-Car-Go will likely send you to Whitman's. I've been told to check out DJ Healey in Sausalito. No experience with either.

I have had the bumpers on my DD sprayed twice at Brooks Motorcars (they closed the SF location, only Oakland left). They've done good paint work and are certified to work on most aluminum cars (a good sign in my book).

A Porsche mechanic told me that Matthews-Carlsen does good work and uses Glasurit (which is nice on our cars). Any dealer affiliation is usually a negative with me but good reviews are good.

As for the high end, I've been told (and will be able to tell you in a few weeks) that Perfect Reflections in Hayward is great. They do a ton of Ferrari work and couldn't get one of my cars in the shop yet because there was too much work to be done before Pebble (another good sign).

You could also go down the dent removal and airbrush route depending on the damage. I had the sections behind the wheels (trailing edge on front fender, ahead of door, and leading edge of the rear bumper) airbrushed on my car and you would never be able to tell. The other great thing is that a talented airbrush/ touch-up guy will typically apply a lot less paint and use a lot less surface to blend than a regular body-shop. Happy to pass along the info over PM.

Last edited by SSTAR; 08-22-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys: If you like Atan888's Turbos (the last of which is Big Bird) then go to http://www.unitedautocollision.com/. Beautiful car and beautiful workmanship. Modestly, IMHO they did an absolutely great job on my rerspray.

BTW, Atan888 is an owner and his cars are awesome!

BEFORE:

AFTER AT SHOP:

AT HOME:

Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had work done at Matthews-Carlsen - paint was good but they didn't do a good enough job at anchoring my aerokit sideskirts. I've also had work done at United Auto Collision and was pretty happy with the results there as well.

Quick Reply: San Francisco Bay Area Body Shop Rec sought