Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
S4-on-your-back-door
User

Angry oil leaking out my exhaust pipe HELP

ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it. the mechanic calls and tells me that theres oil coming out my exhaust pipe and that its smoking like a three alarm fire! i get there and sure enuf when i start the engine oil starts dripping out of both pipes. he tells me he had added oil (4 quarts, i told him he over filled it, and he said they drain it and started again. he showed me a web page where they go to that showed them where the drain plug was. it only showed the one on the engine not the other one at the oilcooler line) to the engine because it was making valve noise when he started it up and the oil gauge didnt move ( car probably still cold). bottom line they overfilled the engine with oil ! i changed the oil and brought it to the correct level and the car stopped smoking and the oil stopped leaking from my tail pipes. I checked the compression and all cylinders read around 178 on a weak battery. I left the car there and ordered new filters and some other parts to put on the car since i have access to their shop lift. i come back a week later to put the parts on, they start the car and bring it around to the lift and the dam thing is smoking again! oil is comming out the exhaust pipe again and when i check it, it looks like clean oil not the old dirty oil. what do you think is going on with my engine? did they damage somthing or is it just leftover oil in the exhaust still?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

S4-on-your-back-door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Mark in Baltimore
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4-on-your-back-door View Post
ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it. the mechanic calls and tells me that theres oil coming out my exhaust pipe and that its smoking like a three alarm fire! i get there and sure enuf when i start the engine oil starts dripping out of both pipes. he tells me he had added oil (4 quarts, i told him he over filled it, and he said they drain it and started again. he showed me a web page where they go to that showed them where the drain plug was. it only showed the one on the engine not the other one at the oilcooler line) to the engine because it was making valve noise when he started it up and the oil gauge didnt move ( car probably still cold). bottom line they overfilled the engine with oil ! i changed the oil and brought it to the correct level and the car stopped smoking and the oil stopped leaking from my tail pipes. I checked the compression and all cylinders read around 178 on a weak battery. I left the car there and ordered new filters and some other parts to put on the car since i have access to their shop lift. i come back a week later to put the parts on, they start the car and bring it around to the lift and the dam thing is smoking again! oil is comming out the exhaust pipe again and when i check it, it looks like clean oil not the old dirty oil. what do you think is going on with my engine? did they damage somthing or is it just leftover oil in the exhaust still?
I didn't know Pep Boys mechanics were allowed to access tEh iNterWeBZ while at work.

R.I.P., Rudy. You were the best dog.

Cars:
-'95 993 G class race car (polar silver/black)

Bikes:
-'12 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er carbon hardtail (red, black, white)
-'95 S-Works M2 hardtail (anodized gray)

Gone:
-'05 997S
-'85 3.2 Carrera
Mark in Baltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
S4-on-your-back-door
User

ha ha now thats being rough on me lol
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Opo
Addict
Rennlist Member

OUCH! this really SUCKS!!!! good luck S4
Opo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Linnm
User

It will take a while to burn the oil out of the cats
Linnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
AOW162435
Sic Semper Calx
Rennlist Member

Why would you spend another minute at a "shop" that displays such galactic levels of incompetence?

Andreas
AOW162435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Quadcammer
Super User

as noted, remove your vehicle asap from these clowns.

that said, you will have residual oil all over your intake and exhaust. This will take some time, and after it sat for a while, it probably pooled somewhere.

Make sure the level is ok, and then drive it for a while.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Magdaddy
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=S4-on-your-back-door;8785190]ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it.QUOTE]

OK, a shop owned by transvestites/transgender folk...Not that there is anything wrong with that, or a shop that does transmission work?

If ot is the latter...why in the hell would they be adding ANY oil to your engine?

What exactly did you take the car in for?

As Andreas said, I wouldn't spend another second there. I would flat bed the car to a well respected local Porsche independent, and tell the "tranny" shop they'll be getting the bill. Also, I would contact your local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint.

I overfilled my first 911-topped off when cold, 25 years ago. A short and VERY smokey trip later, I finally
97 C4S, Arctic Silver/diviated Classic Grey&Black,rear split grill, HB Sport Seats, RS wheel, Chris's rings, Blk/Alu X option shifter/ebrake handle, Euro Turbo front bumper cover, Euro Clear corners, Headlight washer delete, Gerts FPB, H&R coilovers with monoballs and sway's, Fister Stage lll's, assless chap's bonnet mod, Tramont Cup Wheels-Speedline RS Tribute's, Walrod bushings, Wevo blue's, big ovals, RS+ ride height and camber settings, DDM HID's,Tore-B's T lights...and a cup holder.
Magdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
S4-on-your-back-door
User

Iíve used these guys before for TRANSMISSION WORK and thatís all they were supposed to do (itís a transmission shop) and they are pretty good. This oil mishap is a different story. I donít want to drive the car and since I have access to their lift itís convenient. I thought I fixed the problem so I was going to put on the new parts I bough using their lift. Now that the problem came back when the car sat for a week, Iím not sure what to do. is the engine damage and oil is leaking internally into the piston chamber or is it just still too much oil in there? I refilled it while engine was hot using the dipstick. Oil came to just below the top marking and the smoke cleared up. So now that itís doing it again after sitting Iím lost.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
TMc993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call a reputable towing company, put the car on a flatbed and haul it to a reputable Porsche shop. Then let the Porsche technician tell you what to do.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
mike cap
Addict
Rennlist Member

It will take awhile and a bunch of smoke to burn off the residual oil. If you did a complete drain and refill with the correct qty of oil you should be fine. It's unlikely that any damage was caused internally.
mike cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
jscott82
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cats are most likely shot
jscott82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mcipseric

OMG!>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1999 996 3.6 X51 Race Car #260
2013 Cayenne Diesel
2013 991S Riviera Blue

Monroe Consulting
IT Consulting, Hosting and Colocation
mcipseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Raleigh993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Back in January, I took my new to me '97 C2 to the local recommended indy for an oil change. Proud new owner is now driving home and under heavy acceleration, she's belching smoke for all to see (and smell). I'm cussing up a storm but all vitals are OK. When I get home I go to check for a problem, I find the oil filler cap is on crooked and had been spewing oil into my once clean engine compartment. I immediately called the shop to complain and took it back to the shop where they cleaned the engine and surrounding areas to my satisfaction. Lesson learned. Always recheck the oil filler cap after an oil change. Even the pros screw up every once in a while.
Raleigh993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Stealth 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I doubt you did any real damage, other then coating the intake, & exhaust in oil. Yea, the cat might be shot, as well as the O2's. But if you didn't really run it, then you might be safe.

Best bet, is to get the oil level right, then go & drive the poop out of it to clean everything out. You might also want to clean up the intake track.

Stealth 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
993, awhile, car, carrera, coming, dripping, engine, exhaust, leaking, made, oil, residual, sat, smoking, stop, tailpipe, tailpipes, water