Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   oil leaking out my exhaust pipe HELP (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/649182-oil-leaking-out-my-exhaust-pipe-help.html)

S4-on-your-back-door 08-11-2011 08:59 PM

oil leaking out my exhaust pipe HELP

ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it. the mechanic calls and tells me that theres oil coming out my exhaust pipe and that its smoking like a three alarm fire! i get there and sure enuf when i start the engine oil starts dripping out of both pipes. he tells me he had added oil (4 quarts, i told him he over filled it, and he said they drain it and started again. he showed me a web page where they go to that showed them where the drain plug was. it only showed the one on the engine not the other one at the oilcooler line) to the engine because it was making valve noise when he started it up and the oil gauge didnt move ( car probably still cold). bottom line they overfilled the engine with oil :crying:! i changed the oil and brought it to the correct level and the car stopped smoking and the oil stopped leaking from my tail pipes. I checked the compression and all cylinders read around 178 on a weak battery. I left the car there and ordered new filters and some other parts to put on the car since i have access to their shop lift. i come back a week later to put the parts on, they start the car and bring it around to the lift and the dam thing is smoking again! oil is comming out the exhaust pipe again and when i check it, it looks like clean oil not the old dirty oil. what do you think is going on with my engine? did they damage somthing or is it just leftover oil in the exhaust still?

Mark in Baltimore 08-11-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by S4-on-your-back-door (Post 8785190)
ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it. the mechanic calls and tells me that theres oil coming out my exhaust pipe and that its smoking like a three alarm fire! i get there and sure enuf when i start the engine oil starts dripping out of both pipes. he tells me he had added oil (4 quarts, i told him he over filled it, and he said they drain it and started again. he showed me a web page where they go to that showed them where the drain plug was. it only showed the one on the engine not the other one at the oilcooler line) to the engine because it was making valve noise when he started it up and the oil gauge didnt move ( car probably still cold). bottom line they overfilled the engine with oil :crying:! i changed the oil and brought it to the correct level and the car stopped smoking and the oil stopped leaking from my tail pipes. I checked the compression and all cylinders read around 178 on a weak battery. I left the car there and ordered new filters and some other parts to put on the car since i have access to their shop lift. i come back a week later to put the parts on, they start the car and bring it around to the lift and the dam thing is smoking again! oil is comming out the exhaust pipe again and when i check it, it looks like clean oil not the old dirty oil. what do you think is going on with my engine? did they damage somthing or is it just leftover oil in the exhaust still?

I didn't know Pep Boys mechanics were allowed to access tEh iNterWeBZ while at work.

S4-on-your-back-door 08-11-2011 09:45 PM

ha ha now thats being rough on me lol

Opo 08-11-2011 10:24 PM

OUCH! this really SUCKS!!!! good luck S4

Linnm 08-11-2011 10:25 PM

It will take a while to burn the oil out of the cats

AOW162435 08-11-2011 10:28 PM

Why would you spend another minute at a "shop" that displays such galactic levels of incompetence?

Andreas

Quadcammer 08-11-2011 10:34 PM

as noted, remove your vehicle asap from these clowns.

that said, you will have residual oil all over your intake and exhaust. This will take some time, and after it sat for a while, it probably pooled somewhere.

Make sure the level is ok, and then drive it for a while.

Magdaddy 08-11-2011 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=S4-on-your-back-door;8785190]ok so hears the deal. took my 95 993 to a trans shop. car sat for 3 months before they got to it.QUOTE]

OK, a shop owned by transvestites/transgender folk...Not that there is anything wrong with that, or a shop that does transmission work?

If ot is the latter...why in the hell would they be adding ANY oil to your engine?

What exactly did you take the car in for?

As Andreas said, I wouldn't spend another second there. I would flat bed the car to a well respected local Porsche independent, and tell the "tranny" shop they'll be getting the bill. Also, I would contact your local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint.

I overfilled my first 911-topped off when cold, 25 years ago. A short and VERY smokey trip later, I finally:rtfm:

S4-on-your-back-door 08-11-2011 10:48 PM

I’ve used these guys before for TRANSMISSION WORK and that’s all they were supposed to do (it’s a transmission shop) and they are pretty good. This oil mishap is a different story. I don’t want to drive the car and since I have access to their lift it’s convenient. I thought I fixed the problem so I was going to put on the new parts I bough using their lift. Now that the problem came back when the car sat for a week, I’m not sure what to do. is the engine damage and oil is leaking internally into the piston chamber or is it just still too much oil in there? I refilled it while engine was hot using the dipstick. Oil came to just below the top marking and the smoke cleared up. So now that it’s doing it again after sitting I’m lost.

TMc993 08-11-2011 11:19 PM

Call a reputable towing company, put the car on a flatbed and haul it to a reputable Porsche shop. Then let the Porsche technician tell you what to do.

mike cap 08-12-2011 11:03 AM

It will take awhile and a bunch of smoke to burn off the residual oil. If you did a complete drain and refill with the correct qty of oil you should be fine. It's unlikely that any damage was caused internally.

jscott82 08-12-2011 11:13 AM

Cats are most likely shot

mcipseric 08-12-2011 11:42 AM

OMG!>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Raleigh993 08-12-2011 12:05 PM

Back in January, I took my new to me '97 C2 to the local recommended indy for an oil change. Proud new owner is now driving home and under heavy acceleration, she's belching smoke for all to see (and smell). I'm cussing up a storm but all vitals are OK. When I get home I go to check for a problem, I find the oil filler cap is on crooked and had been spewing oil into my once clean engine compartment. I immediately called the shop to complain and took it back to the shop where they cleaned the engine and surrounding areas to my satisfaction. Lesson learned. Always recheck the oil filler cap after an oil change. Even the pros screw up every once in a while.

Stealth 993 08-12-2011 01:03 PM

I doubt you did any real damage, other then coating the intake, & exhaust in oil. Yea, the cat might be shot, as well as the O2's. But if you didn't really run it, then you might be safe.

Best bet, is to get the oil level right, then go & drive the poop out of it to clean everything out. You might also want to clean up the intake track.