Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't even get the cold start code to reset. Even with the Equus reader I've started the cold car (sat overnight) 3 times to idle at least 5 minutes, no dice. Probably why the others won't set as that one must be 1st if I recall.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
dmwallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flat-6,

I had the readiness codes issue last year when the battery was disconnected for some service work. I posted some tips on the drive cycle that worked for me on a thread titled readiness codes (I think):

Here's what I did on this drive cycle:

1. I let the car idle before driving for about 5-6 minutes with the heat on, after reading through a readiness code document I found that I had in my Docs_TSB folder. I kept the heat on low throughout the drive cycle.

2. I drove the low speed part of the drive cycle for about 15 minutes, keeping it < 2000rpm and < 30mph. I did have some stop signs, stop lights, etc. during that period.

3. I drove the high(er) speed part of the drive cycle for about 30-40 minutes, keeping it < 3000rpm and < 60mph. Depending on traffic speed I was either in 4th or 5th gear for most of the trip.

At the end of the drive cycle I ended up at a red light, had a look at my tester, and saw the good news! Now I can get my car inspected tomorrow.

Good luck to you. It took me at least 6 attempts to get the codes set so I could pass inspection.

Regards,
David
Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
I can't even get the cold start code to reset. Even with the Equus reader I've started the cold car (sat overnight) 3 times to idle at least 5 minutes, no dice. Probably why the others won't set as that one must be 1st if I recall.
Flat 6, I'm having a problem understanding what you're situation is, does This thread help explain how it should work?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I can't even get the cold start code to reset."

None of the readiness codes/monitors will show as SET until all the
monitors have successfully been completed (SET). If one of the
tests fails during a drive cycle, none will show up on an OBDII
scanner.

Check here for more 993 OBDII readiness tests:

www.systemsc.com/codes.htm
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default OBD Reset Success - fianlly

Success...! Finally after at least 6 drive cycles I was able to reset my OBD. Thanks everyone for your guidance and input. I've been crystal clear all along on the steps but for whatever reason (and after several hundred frustrating miles) they just wouldn't trip. I can only assume that's partially because of my location in a central to San Diego area where the low speed cycles are really tough to complete. Regardless, I will say the investment in the reader was totally worth it as it takes the guess work out completely. Loren was also correct - none show complete until they all do and that only happens after all tests complete properly.

Off to SMOG...
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Success...! Finally after at least 6 drive cycles I was able to reset my OBD. Thanks everyone for your guidance and input. I've been crystal clear all along on the steps but for whatever reason (and after several hundred frustrating miles) they just wouldn't trip. I can only assume that's partially because of my location in a central to San Diego area where the low speed cycles are really tough to complete. Regardless, I will say the investment in the reader was totally worth it as it takes the guess work out completely. Loren was also correct - none show complete until they all do and that only happens after all tests complete properly.

Off to SMOG...
Jordan--

Congratulations! I am about to help a family friend get her deceased husband's '96 993 smogged (it failed on recent attempt due to codes)...I have read ad nauseam about the processes for clearing the codes--and now feel prepared to give it a try. Being in San Diego concerns me a bit on how to find space to drive slow--and for long periods of time! Where did you pick up your Innova? Cost? And--to clarify--did you disconnect reader between cycles? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
Jordan--

Congratulations! I am about to help a family friend get her deceased husband's '96 993 smogged (it failed on recent attempt due to codes)...I have read ad nauseam about the processes for clearing the codes--and now feel prepared to give it a try. Being in San Diego concerns me a bit on how to find space to drive slow--and for long periods of time! Where did you pick up your Innova? Cost? And--to clarify--did you disconnect reader between cycles? Thanks!
I bought the Innova Equus 3100 from a local Wal Mart all in for around $100. It's a little cheaper online but not much < $10 The Wal Mart site also shows which locations have units in stock. But...since you are in San Diego and given that I now won't be needing mine for two years you are welcome to borrow it. Just let me know I'd be happy to meet up anytime. Besides it's also great to connect with another Rennlister and drool over someone else's 993.

Jordan
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

oh....and no I did not disconnect it but it didn't much matter having it plugged in during the test. As Loren pointed out in the previous posts all flags remain unset until they are complete their test cycle successfully. Mine all turned from flashing to solid (ready) with a green light while at idle after drive cycle 6 at which point I knew I could shut down safely as the cycle(s) were finally complete.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"I can't even get the cold start code to reset."

None of the readiness codes/monitors will show as SET until all the
monitors have successfully been completed (SET). If one of the
tests fails during a drive cycle, none will show up on an OBDII
scanner.

Check here for more 993 OBDII readiness tests:

www.systemsc.com/codes.htm
Actually on both my 993's it's always been a 3/5 condition (as in the thread I mentioned above and the photos show it). 3 set fairly quickly (as a group) and the last 5 set as a group during the final idle stage.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
rusty993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations on getting them set.

After your Oregon trip, won't you need to do it all over again.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

I bought the Innova Equus 3100 from a local Wal Mart all in for around $100. It's a little cheaper online but not much < $10 The Wal Mart site also shows which locations have units in stock. But...since you are in San Diego and given that I now won't be needing mine for two years you are welcome to borrow it. Just let me know I'd be happy to meet up anytime. Besides it's also great to connect with another Rennlister and drool over someone else's 993.

Jordan
Jordan--

Thanks for your kind generosity! About to send PM...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick note to say I've used the BMW routine every year since when I got it in '93 and have never had to run it more than once each time. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Jordan
The Innova 3100 can be left plugged into the OBDII port, it doesn't need the batteries in the unit to work as long as it's plugged in. It only needs the batteries for remote/review function. I keep the batteries in the case but haven't installed them in the 3100 for quite some time.

Wouldn't surprise me if most of them worked this way.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"3 set fairly quickly (as a group) and the last 5 set as a group during the final idle stage."

Right, those three are the Continuous Monitors which always SET (unless
a real engine problem) immediately. The other 5, which are the problematic
ones everyone has issues with, only SET after completion of ALL drive
cycles (trips).

"Finally after at least 6 drive cycles"

That's only because ALL the required tests didn't complete in a full drive cycle (trip)
and the partial trip was fully RESET when the engine was turned off or stalled.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

After having read these helpful posts in-depth, I have one final question:
Do the drive cycles have to be contiguous? If I complete one full cycle on a Thursday, and drive around normally on Friday, then do my 2nd full cycle Sat morning, would that work? Or, only under condition I still not exceed the 3,000RPM on Friday's driving? Thanks for input...

Quick Reply: The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive