Sponsored by:

993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Devinwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help

I'm looking to purchase my first Porsche. A 1996 Porsche Carrera Targa. I've been going back and forth between a 964 and 993. I'd like to hear (correspond) with some owners of a Carrera Targa. I need your help!!. I'm also new to RL and have placed a couple posts, but not much feedback. I appreciate you reply and purchase help. I can be reached at

ttreasures1@qwest.net
Old 06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

As you know the 993 and the 964 are quite different animals, and the Targa is totally different on both cars. Have you driven both cars? The 964 is less complicated but if you like the glass top Targa your only choice will be the 96-98 993's. If you get a 97 or 98 Targa there are updates to the roof that you will get. The 96 is the first year. It seems that most people have had very few issues with the roof...there are exceptions though. If the roof has problems it could cost mucho $$$. In my case I managed to have Porsche provide a brand new roof with just months left in the rust warranty...but I am an unusual case.

Once you find the car please post and we can give opinions. For example I know a few things about the roof so if you send me close up shots of the front seals, back seals, adjustment heights, etc. I can tell you if it looks normal.

Good luck and remember the chase is half the fun!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Devin,

I believe one of the Targas you were evaluating was mine 1996 Targa tip. I've owned two 1996 Targas. Both have the original tops and have not needed any service work. I've read about Mike's replaced top problem on rennlist and I think he experienced a bad one.

I think these Targa tops can be hit or miss. I believe a fair number of them can leak and/or have some associated air noise. Only one of my Targas has a leak, and that leads to a drop or two of rain on the passenger side in a very heavy rainstorm. The other Targa has no leak at all. The wind noise is really only noticable at highway speeds. But then, again, a cabriolet has similar "complaints" by their owners.

The best advice I can give regarding the 993 Targa is that you need to test drive one and really experience everything yourself. I think the open glass feeling by far outweighs any of the minor inconveniences known to the typical Targa owner. Mike, feel free to chime in on this thought if you like.

Devin, you are more than welcome to by and drive either one of my Targas and see what you think.

Marc
Old 06-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think Marc is bang on...you have to drive some cars to help decide. I really like the open feeling of the Targa even when the roof is closed...and its very cool to see the rain droplets run over the glass when you are driving in the rain. The interior is always light and airy....I now find that the coupes feel dark and closed in.

Another bonus is the added head room...I can wear a DE helmet in the Targa with no problems but I have to scrunch down in a coupe...since there is no "liner" in a coupe you gain quite a bit. That also adds to the headroom.

The choice is quite personal. There was a lot of talk about body flex and squeaking...I have driven both coupes and Targa's and find they feel the same. I guess I am not a good enough driver to tell the difference! I had virtually no rattles in my old roof, now that my new one is almost ready I will have to see...but even small rattles are no bit deal, the 993's are noisy and the sweet flat-6 engine noise by far outstrips any body noises..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 02:30 PM
mbpa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to concur with Mike, I love the open feeling of the tara with the roof closed. There is nothing like driving at night (when it's cold out) and seeing the stars or driving in the rain and seeing the drops on the roof. My interior is light gray, so that adds to the interior feeling very open and light.

I do get annoyed by the ratteling a bit, but I just installed new shocks and a strut brace. My old shocks were shot at 50k miles. I think/hope that added to the ratteling problem. There are also some shop notes to address the ratteling, if it occurs. I'll have to go through those one of these days

Anyway, I would not trade my targa for a coupe (or cab). It's really the best of both worlds (cab and coupe). But, perhaps for a tt...

p.s. no leaks and only minor wind noise (after some adjustments).
Old 06-18-2006, 03:30 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I can recall taking a trip up the west coast to tour some wineries using the back, dirt roads with a line of Porsches (about 25 cars). When we came to a dusty road, all the cabs had to pull over to raise their tops. I was the only Targa, and I just hit the switch and kept going!

Seeing the country side through a Targa top is amazing. I can recall even watching the fireworks from Disneyland while riding on the freeway. It was spectacular.

The other info that was shared with me by a Porsche representative was the fact that the Targa roof, fully open, is quieter than the sunroof. It has to do with the airdynamics.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my targa, no problems here (knock on wood). Just have to keep up with the roof adjustments, tedious but not hard at all. I would not part with mine; my 9 year old granddaughter has her eyes set on this car, she said this will be her first car. Hope you find a good one, I know you'll enjoy it.
I have agressively lowered mine and installed a strut brace, handling is much better.
Andrew
Old 06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another one...I love my Targa! Just like Mike said I love the open and airy feeling even when it's closed - very special. Fortunately my targa top is very tight and solid all around. Good luck with your search as they are very hard to find, only about 1100 imported to US.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Targa. It's the best of coupe and cab world. It's not too windy; it's just perfect. It's great to drive with a top-open feel even though the glass is closed. I had a great Targa moment last week: while driving in and out of rain storms, I was able to open and close the top without having to pull over.

The only time my Targa top is closed is when raining and in the afternoons in August.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I have Adrian's book "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion" where he lists modifications made to the 993 thru the years. There's no mention of any Targa top modifications or enhancements in year '97,'98 so I was wondering if you know something we don't. What exactly did Porsche modify in the Targa top to "make it better" so-to-speak?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:43 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Mike,

I have Adrian's book "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion" where he lists modifications made to the 993 thru the years. There's no mention of any Targa top modifications or enhancements in year '97,'98 so I was wondering if you know something we don't. What exactly did Porsche modify in the Targa top to "make it better" so-to-speak?
What I mean was some of the updates documented in the TSB's for the roof are in the later roofs. I know they changed for example the guide tube materials from 96 (i.e. my new roof built in 2000 has different cable guide tube material than my original roof) but those are minor changes. For example, in TSB 9704, the TSB states "Since the start of productio of the Targa model, the production line introduced several procedures to eliminate the possiblity of noises from the Targa roof. In case of complaints from of noises in the Targa roof these procedures can be used for repairs". These procedures have not been implemented by the factory on the earlier roofs but will be on the later roofs so unless the TSB has been executed an earlier roof will not have the "updates". The TSB is dated September 1996.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Mike ... You are my guru for Porsche information.

I need to find a copy of the TSB's for myself, but they are out of circulation by Porsche. I'll keep looking.

My latest mod for my 993 is LED instrument lights. If you haven't done this yet, maybe I'll be one up on Mike. I doubt it though. You seem to know all the ins and outs of these 993's.

My next endeavor ... to take one of Bruce Anderson courses. Either engine rebuilds or tranmissions.

Marc
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mgianzero
My latest mod for my 993 is LED instrument lights. If you haven't done this yet, maybe I'll be one up on Mike. I doubt it though. You seem to know all the ins and outs of these 993's.

My next endeavor ... to take one of Bruce Anderson courses. Either engine rebuilds or tranmissions.

Marc
Nope but there was a thread a while back about doing just that...

I have the benifit of taking a pile of crap 993 and having to wrench it back to a proper state...so I have touched about every system in the car...its was a pretty expensive education let me tell you!

I caught Bruce's course last year before I rebuilt my engine. I took the engine course...it was excellent and well worth the $600. They answer all the questions although I am sure they were tired of my hand shooting up and my "what about the 993?" questions! The engine they use an an example was a 74 I think...the same basic idea but our engines have 20 years of improvements.

However I learned lots and would be really nervous about ripping my engine apart without the course. Even if you are not doing an rebuild but have a mechanical bend its worth the time. I had feedback that the tranny class was really good as well but I ran out of time and missed it. That week was very enjoyable!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM
carrera79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, love my targa from France, always open except on highway to south of france (to much noise with my 2 daugthers).
done 30000km (around 20000miles) in 2 years with wife, daugthers and cat !!!
waiting for the 997 targa to come out !!
fred
Please send me the link to the led mod TIA
Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Marc, I have the TSBs in pdf (for Targa top noise and leaking). PM me your email address. If anyone else needs them, PM me with your email address.

Quick Reply: 993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help