Sponsored by:

991.2 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 720 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
I agree---The 991.2 I drove didn't "feel" faster to me either----but it was clearly faster as I left my old 991.1 in the rear-view mirror. The 991.2 has some very distinct advantages to the 991.1---handling with rear wheel steering, Apple Carplay, etc....however exhaust note is not one of the advantages.
I can see why some people might enjoy the quieter engine note of the 991.2---in traffic or as a dailty driver in SoCal with concrete freeways---the lower noise levels may be welcome---just not to me.

I drive my 911 @ 6K miles year---it is not a daily driver---I am even thinking of putting an AWE exhaust or AKRA exhaust---so I can hear even more engine roar---it is a personal choice.

I am not saying my 991.1 is great and someone else's 991.2 is inferior to mine---The reality is , turbos (FI) change the engine sound---ask anyone what sounds better a Ferrari 458 or a 488? 458 everytime---now ask which one is faster---488 everytime---or 911 Turbo S versus 911 GTSRS....

Cheers
You can argue all of the variables that you say favour the 991.1 include the extacy of sound the naturally aspirated engine makes, but every car magazine has determined that a base 991.2 C2 is as fast as a 991.1 C2S and the 991.2 C2S is faster yet. So, if acceleration and speed is an important measure for someone facing this .1 vs .2 decision, they would pick the .2 .

Its kind of moot anyway; if you want a brand new Porsche, it will be a .2 .
Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Honestly, the whole sound thing is being overplayed now. Unless its a 6-4 cyl. change as in the boxter I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. These people are waxing nostalgic, and will go in the way of the whole air vs water cooled debaters.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Honestly, the whole sound thing is being overplayed now. Unless its a 6-4 cyl. change as in the boxter I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. These people are waxing nostalgic, and will go in the way of the whole air vs water cooled debaters.
Guess that's why the 98 air-cooled has depreciated so much
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

As drivers we adapt over time to our cars and they become extensions of ourselves. Jumping from a car you've been in for years to one you don't know is always going to be a difficult transition- it takes a good three months to really learn and be able to exploit a car's potential IMHO.

Most of the fun you're going to have with these cars is when you're driving 7/10ths or more. The problem is, unless you're on a track, you can't even begin to fully appreciate what these cars can do. So the delemma we have with each passing iteration is that space - that bar you have to cross over to where the fun is, is elevated so high you can't really safely exploit it on the street.

Think of all the Chris Harris et al videos. What are they doing? Power slides on the track, 150+ on the track. What can we do, take a 45 mph on-ramp at 65 - which of course is illegal and reckless?

I personally keep thinking that my next car is going to be a replica speedster or a 930 or maybe even - as sacrilegious as it might be, getting a tricked out Boxster.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To the OP watch and learn

The video is Chris Gebhard driving the 991.2 S and 718S round the ring - the sound is from the cabin.

I'm not going to comment on your general post - there is little point. Given you don't seem to understand that a flat six 3l turbo has the same firing order as a flat six in a 3.8l NA motor.

I'll also be clear - I didn't buy a 991.1 because the car was under done in torque and power, had poor steering feel and at best modest handling. It did look good.

The 991.2 has addressed these deficiencies so I bought one, I also retained my 981 GTS.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

So all of the praise about the991.2 stated here is that it has a better stereo controls, apple play(just like a cheap American car) and the electronics look a little sleeker.... but a consistent crappy engine sound and less fun to drive albeit less cumbersome in stop and go traffic.

Tell me more about how the 991.2 is more exciting? Is it still more exciting with the radio off? Cause that seems to be the vast majority of praise. If that's why someone is shopping for a car then why get a pic Rachel much less a 911?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by randr
To the OP watch and learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzH9tAU8RSU

The video is Chris Gebhard driving the 991.2 S and 718S round the ring - the sound is from the cabin.

I'm not going to comment on your general post - there is little point. Given you don't seem to understand that a flat six 3l turbo has the same firing order as a flat six in a 3.8l NA motor.

I'll also be clear - I didn't buy a 991.1 because the car was under done in torque and power, had poor steering feel and at best modest handling. It did look good.

hmmm it also won best drivers car 2 years in a row and wasn't compared to a mustang that almost beat it.... unlike the non winning 991.2. The handling differences is negligible between the .1&.2!

also, your video reinforces that that boosted engines are not even close in terms of sound to the 3.8.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

It's all subjective man, some people are happy with what the 991.2 offers, some prefer the older gens. At the end of the day, what difference does it really make as long as it brings a smile to your face getting behind the wheel of one of the best cars in the world.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:30 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
hmmm it also won best drivers car 2 years in a row and wasn't compared to a mustang that almost beat it.... unlike the non winning 991.2. The handling differences is negligible between the .1&.2!

also, your video reinforces that that boosted engines are not even close in terms of sound to the 3.8.
LOL there is a massive difference particularly with rear axle steering and helper springs etc - well and truly proven. Far far better vehicle. In fact different league, it isn't even close.

Motortrend Fig 8 test is a very fair method for determing handling - 2 x 200ft skid pans linked by 500 ft straight - because it is done in a fig 8 format it also accounts for transition.

991.2C2S - 23.1s
991.2C2 - 23.7s
981CGTS - 23.8s
991.1C2S - 24.2s

The difference between the .2S and .1S is massive for this type of test. In fact the 991.1C2S is thumped by the .2 base and the very good 981GTS

BTW they sound nearly identical in the cabin - anyone that owns one knows this

Last edited by randr; 02-13-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

LOL there is a massive difference particularly with rear axle steering and helper springs etc - well and truly proven. Far far better vehicle.

They sound nearly identical in the cabin - anyone that owns one knows this
the media all said the 997.1 was the perfect car... yet the 997.2 fixed everything that was all the sudden wrong with the .1..... then the 991.1 came along and the perfect 997.2 became antiquated. Each iteration is nirvana when Porsche needs to sell them until the new one comes out and it's okay to call the old one rubbish.

The 991.1 will always be a more special car. Always. The 991.2 is a gateway car experimenting in economics and efficiency > sports carring. The 3.0 was made to pass emissions and taxes, not with performance as the main objective.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Default All of this testosterone-laced rhetoric is so funny...

Since the divide between the .1 and .2 continues to reach new insulting heights, maybe we can get Rennlist to divide the 991 forum into 2 separate forums, one for the .1 and one for the .2

That way we can all be happy in our own little back-slapping comfort zones.

Until that happens, if someone really wants to find out what the opinionated differences are, do a search instead of creating new antagonistic threads.

There is too much good information here that doesn't need to be diluted by petty bickering

As a result of this thread, I have learned that if I want a washing machine, I should buy a .1 and if I want a vacuum cleaner, I should buy a .2

Either way, these appliances are pretty freaking awesome
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad the OP was so focused on the sound because he missed out on one of the best improvements: the steering. Porsche has seemed to improve the steering feel of the 991.2 over the 991.1 especially in the 2wd models. I test drove a 991.2 c2s and it felt lively, connected and communicative, even better than my 991.1 c4s.

For me, one of the best engine sounds is when I first fire it up. I love the little roar and then as it settles into idle. And, the .2 does this too. When I'm driving, the difference in sound between the .1 and .2 is not that significant. But of course, I'm not fixated on the sound.

What's most annoying is the lame sound symposer. They both have them. Actually the .2 has 2. I can't believe someone actually thought this was a good idea, not to mention the poor engineer who had to design it.

I would get a 991.2 over my 991.1 but I'll wait until more pop up in the used car classifieds.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

For those wanting new, I get it, the .2 is the only option. The .2 is great and there is no need to crap on it and vice versa re the .1. Even the sound is still better than the regular Turbo. But the one argument that I personally find the most irritating, which mirrors the M4 crowd, is that every gen before the .2 is slow and pathetic because it lacks torque. Porsche clearly had it wrong for 50 years and now just figured out how to get it right. And the GT3 buyers? Morons!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:30 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
the media all said the 997.1 was the perfect car... yet the 997.2 fixed everything that was all the sudden wrong with the .1..... then the 991.1 came along and the perfect 997.2 became antiquated. Each iteration is nirvana when Porsche needs to sell them until the new one comes out and it's okay to call the old one rubbish.

The 991.1 will always be a more special car. Always. The 991.2 is a gateway car experimenting in economics and efficiency > sports carring. The 3.0 was made to pass emissions and taxes, not with performance as the main objective.
Yet its absolutely clear the 3L turbo S out performs the NA S - in every performance based metric - thats a fact.

Special is in the eye of the beholder - I can go with that. However, the metrics are the metrics and they are conclusive.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Yet its absolutely clear the 3L turbo S out performs the NA S - in every performance based metric - thats a fact.
No disputing that but who in this thread bought to get paid for lap times and who bought into an experience.

Quick Reply: 991.2 opinion