Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible To Reverse Shift Knob Direction For Shifts (911.1 PDK)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible To Reverse Shift **** Direction For Shifts (911.1 PDK)?

I apologize if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it. Is it possible to reverse the shift **** direction on a 991.1 so that an upshift (+) is performed by pulling the PDK shift **** on the center console towards the driver? The 911 GT3 works like this, as do all 991.2 cars, but all 991.1 cars aside from the GT3 and GT3 RS perform upshifts by pushing the PDK **** away from the driver. I am used to pulling it towards me on M cars (and most other cars!) so it's easy for me to get it wrong! I suspect they made the change on the GT3 and 991.2 cars because they realized most people are used to pulling towards them to upshift...

I'm curious to know whether this can be modified via a software mod (somehow) or perhaps some type of hardware modification. I'm considering buying a 991.1 but I'm not sure I would buy one if I can't make this change, as I always use the shift **** (vs steering wheel paddles) and this will probably drive me nuts!

Thanks in-advance for everyone's help,
Jeremy

Last edited by jeremyr4; 10-06-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

it has been discussed, but not attempted to the best of my recollection...

there are a lot of unknowns involved ...

The PDK shifter is connected to the PDK via a single physical cable (not an electrical, but a mechanical connection), that suggests to me that the
translation of a shifter movement is 'translated' into a PDK operation either
occurs in the mechanics of the shifter itself, or in the PDK...

*IF* the shifter module has simply reversed the mechanical 'sense' of the
up/down shifts then I think it *could* be a simple swap of that unit... of
course the 'sense' of the '+' and '-' on the center console (and in the
display on the dashboard) would still be the wrong way around...

the part # for the .1 component is 9G1.426.011.10 you might see what the
p/n is for the corresponding .2 part.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeremy. I have a 991.2 Base Carrera and have the same problem. I'm not used to upshift by pushing but the other way around. Used o have a Boxster S that was that way.

Also seen some pictures of other Carreras were you upshift oulling the PDK shifter against you. That should be a standard for all cars. Why they do it differently on all models ? Not a single clue. Could it also vary by country ?

I aas checking some 718 pictures and also it upshifts when you pull. Go figure....

Would love to change it.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies and info - I appreciate it. I wonder if perhaps fitting the 991.2 center console shifter (PDK) instead of the 991.1 will solve the problem. I'm definitely not an engineer so I have no idea if that's a simple or impossible solution. It's infuriating that they got it right on the 991.1 GT3 and all 991.2s but not on the 991.1s but perhaps it may be a solution...
Old 10-08-2016, 01:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Changing the center console components won't do anything but make cosmetic differences. The "brain" for PDK shifting is located in what is known as the "Transmission Control Module". This particular control module is a little box buried under the rear seating assembly if I recall correctly. Theoretically you could swap that out, but in the end I believe any changes have to be made through PIWIS or similar tool hooked-up to CAN.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:44 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Oh and forgot to mention that if you are adventurous you could buy a GT3 control module and plug it in.... probably has to be coded to the car though in which case you need PIWIS. GT3 control module is about $680 from Sun Coast parts.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it has been discussed, but not attempted to the best of my recollection...

there are a lot of unknowns involved ...

The PDK shifter is connected to the PDK via a single physical cable (not an electrical, but a mechanical connection), that suggests to me that the
translation of a shifter movement is 'translated' into a PDK operation either
occurs in the mechanics of the shifter itself, or in the PDK...

*IF* the shifter module has simply reversed the mechanical 'sense' of the
up/down shifts then I think it *could* be a simple swap of that unit... of
course the 'sense' of the '+' and '-' on the center console (and in the
display on the dashboard) would still be the wrong way around...

Really, a physical cable? That's really surprising...
Old 10-08-2016, 04:11 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Here is the center console PDK assembly components.... The "physical cable" referred to is #6 in the picture. As I mentioned prior, the brains are in a control module on the network and located in the rear.

Last edited by plenum; 10-08-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:15 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Larry, you are correct that the part # you provided here is for the PDK "Support with Housing" or #1 in this picture...

But the transmission control module is actually part #991-618-270-14 and is simply known as "Control Unit".
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plenum
Changing the center console components won't do anything but make cosmetic differences. The "brain" for PDK shifting is located in what is known as the "Transmission Control Module". This particular control module is a little box buried under the rear seating assembly if I recall correctly. Theoretically you could swap that out, but in the end I believe any changes have to be made through PIWIS or similar tool hooked-up to CAN.

Thanks very much. And thanks for your suggestion regarding trying the GT3 module. But I'm thinking it might make more sense (and be cheaper?) to buy a 991.2 GTS module (when the GTS comes out) or maybe just a 991.2 Carrera or Carrera S module (given that all of the 991.2s are now reversed) just to avoid having to buy a premium for a GT3 part? Does that sound right?

Great to know that's the part to focus on - thanks again.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Sleeks
Track Day

Considering the other 991 models that have this reversed, this has to be possible to do. I'm tempted to go buy the control module off a 991.2 and see what happens.

Would this control module have to be coded to the car?
Old 10-09-2016, 01:10 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sleeks
Considering the other 991 models that have this reversed, this has to be possible to do. I'm tempted to go buy the control module off a 991.2 and see what happens.

Would this control module have to be coded to the car?
I can't tell you what would happen if you attempted to swap the .1 and .2 control units, as I don't have access at the moment to determine if the parts are the same or not. I wouldn't assume the .2 unit is swappable into the .1 cars.

As for the GT3 control unit -- I can tell you that the controller is the exact same part # across '14 and '15 GT3, TT, and all other 991 configurations. This would indicate that the unit is coded to the car at the time it is manufactured, and could possibly be modified via programming. Simply ordering a new module as GT3 variant may not work (to achieve reversal of the PDK action). Perhaps finding a parted-out GT3, and cannibalizing the used control unit would work, but again, I would assume that a reprogram to the car is necessary. Would be at least a $5-600 US or less gamble.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 PM
ccjin
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its possible here in germany without hardware

company a&a automobiltetechnik pls read below:

Software modification of sportive 7 gear Dual Clut Transmission
of modern Porsche models

Modern Porsche models from moedel year 2009 on are delivered with the sportive 7 gear Dual Clutch Transmission (PDK). Depending on different kinds of riding modes, it is equipped ex works with a sportive driving pleasure, fast gear changing, direct power transmission and at least a lower fuel consumption.

In special cases it is necessary to reprogram the PDK for individual driving behavior, individual driving situations or the vehicle's technical modifications (e.g. technical modifications for an increasement of power).

Thanks to our comprehensive knowho especially with Porsche, we are glad to offer our remapping of Porsche PDK transmission, which was developed and intensively tested for the following Porsche models:

Porsche 991 (911) | 991 (911) FL | 991 (911) GT3
Porsche Boxster | Porsche Cayman 981
Porsche Panamera 970 | Panamera 970 FL
Porsche 997 (911) FL from 2009 -
Porsche 987 Fl from 2009-

This applies to all Porsche models with 7 gear Dual Clutch Transmission

In the past we've offered this exclusive to Porsche tuners and their customer needs only.

From now on we also offer our service of reprogramming & adaption to all owners of Porsche models with 7 gear Dual Clutch Transmission as listed above.

Our Services for PDK-remapping Porsche provide in detail:

Adaption of switching points -enable a higher max. rpm (Nmax)
Adaption of speed limit
Adaption of switching times (e.g. shorter switching times)
Adaption of shift paddles response time (shortening to the reaction time)
Remapping of the shift paddles
Remapping of the gear levers (direction +/-)
Offset / adaption of the torque limit
Adaption of the clutch pressure (no slipping clutch, especially Turbo's)
Deactivation / adaption of forced upshift in different riding modes
Deactivation / prevention of downshift at Kickdown in different riding modes
Adaption of switching operations to individual driving behavior
Tuning of Launch Control
Activation of Launch Control for vehicles without chrono sport and chrono sport plus
Activation of Launch control in all riding modes (manual, normal, sport, sport plus)
in total significant switching characteristics (e.g. no jerking, softer transistion while shifting)
Our different services are individually programmed according to your special wishes and needs. If it is mechanically useful, it is also possible to combine individual programming services, whether if you need the reprogramming for a better driving behavior at street drive or for a modified vehicle for driving on a racetrack.

Please send the specific dates of your Porsche, optionally built-in-components, the desired range of application and the expected changes.

Additionally we suggest the remapping of PDK transmission in combination with power increasements that we also offer for different kinds of Porsche models. Do not hesitate to contact us for the individual possibilities for your vehicle.

As an offiicial dealer of DODSON Motorsport we also offer upgrades of the transmission hardware in conjunction with our power increasements and remapping of PDK (adaption of speed limit, Offset / adaption of torque limit).

Important:

For all modifications, we need the PDK control unit (TCU) for 1 working day in our office.

So if you send the TCU to our workshop and we will receive it on working day at 2pm at the latest, we will arrange back shipping just the same day.

Please note:

If customs declaration is necessary (shipping outside the EU), it will tage up to 2 working days longer until back shipping. Express shipping on request. If you like to combine an increasement of power and remapping of PDK transmission, please contact us separately to clarify the possibilites.

Plese do not hesitate to contact us for further information - we would be glad to advise you.

Please note:

We highley recommend that a quality professional perform the expansion and installation of the PDK - TCU. In case of incorrect installation or expansion and of any malfunctioning of the car, we do not assume any liability, guarantee or warranty.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

I think there was a guy in germany that claimed he to program the PDK controller...
Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

+1 ccjin. You've confirmed two things really- 1) that the TCU for the 991.1 (still not clear on the .2) can be programmed, and 2) that the TCU for all 991.1 variants is the same.
Doesn't sound like the unit can be programmed through OBD ports so wondering how the unit gets flashed....
Thanks again for posting that -- great find!

Quick Reply: Possible To Reverse Shift Knob Direction For Shifts (911.1 PDK)?