Sponsored by:

DSC or Cobb Accessport ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:04 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DSC or Cobb Accessport ????

I have a 2013 911S Cab - PDK, PSE, Chrono, PASM with about 13K miles. I am considering my next upgrade in the $1,000 - 1,500 range and keep bouncing back and forth between DSC for better handling and Accessport for better (?) performance -- really seems to be smoothness from the post of those that have installed the Accessport.

I do not track the car but do enjoy spirited driving as conditions allow

I was wondering if anyone had done both and could tell me if one (DSC or Cobb) would be a better first choice?????

Old 09-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Not having either, I would say suspension every time over power. Especially on a naturally aspirated car. You're not going to see radical power gains like on a turbo car.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Both! In that order.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Having both SPASM and the Accessport, I think that your driving should be the decision catalyst. I don't drive my car much on the street except to and from the track. I have about 600 regular street miles on the car in a year other than driving to and from the track which is all highway miles. I see no reason, in my particular use pattern to change the SPASM. On the other hand, I am absolutely blown away by the Accessport tune. I also have an AWE exhaust, so it may also help. I can say this for certain, no stock 991S can pull away from me on the straights and my suspension leaves them in the dust on corners. So, the guidance here is let your driving pattern dictate the mod that will leave you the happiest.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 AM
rebelceb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Having both SPASM and the Accessport, I think that your driving should be the decision catalyst. I don't drive my car much on the street except to and from the track. I have about 600 regular street miles on the car in a year other than driving to and from the track which is all highway miles. I see no reason, in my particular use pattern to change the SPASM. On the other hand, I am absolutely blown away by the Accessport tune. I also have an AWE exhaust, so it may also help. I can say this for certain, no stock 991S can pull away from me on the straights and my suspension leaves them in the dust on corners. So, the guidance here is let your driving pattern dictate the mod that will leave you the happiest.
With that being said, you're in a non-S car, right?

Does the Accessport have to be plugged in all the time and it mounted like a cellphone or is it a tune that downloads to the car's computer then can be unplugged until you want to change the tune?

The thought of having an extra external module cluttering up the cabin has been the turn off for me so far, but I've never asked anyone the question either.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,232 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelceb

Does the Accessport have to be plugged in all the time and it mounted like a cellphone or is it a tune that downloads to the car's computer then can be unplugged until you want to change the tune?

The thought of having an extra external module cluttering up the cabin has been the turn off for me so far, but I've never asked anyone the question either.
it is plugged in, tuned, then removed. It does not have to remain plugged in unless you want it to be.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelceb

Correct, I am in a 3.4L 991. The Accessport does not have to be plugged in unless you want to utilize some of its features, such as code diagnostics, changing maps, 0-60 timing and data logging.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:16 AM
rebelceb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent!

I may look further into it then. 90% of the usage for my car is/will be regular street use, with an occasional track day if/when an opportunity arises. Therefore, I won't be as concerned with the data logging, 0-60, etc functions.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not having either, I would say suspension every time over power. Especially on a naturally aspirated car. You're not going to see radical power gains like on a turbo car.

Originally Posted by Vise
Both! In that order.
Needsdecaf and Vise- that's kind of the way I am leaning...

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Having both SPASM and the Accessport, I think that your driving should be the decision catalyst.... So, the guidance here is let your driving pattern dictate the mod that will leave you the happiest.
991carreradriver, I don't have SPAM but only PASM which I is why I was trying to figure out if the DSC would be the better first choice over the Accessport...

Still not sure at this point but as I said I am leaning towards starting with the DSC and then the Accessport sometime next year.... BUT if someone out there that has both has a better suggestion I would really like to hear it...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
BUT if someone out there that has both has a better suggestion I would really like to hear it...
I have both and would highly recommend both for different reasons. Price to value/impact wise likely the best mods out there... one provides a noticeable improvement to the the car's handling and the other provides of bit of extra kick and an overall smoother delivery of power.

For $1500ish each both are a no-brainer to me at least... mind you I'm also deep down the rabbit hole on mods so not necessarily the most trusted advisor.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I have both and would highly recommend both for different reasons. Price to value/impact wise likely the best mods out there... one provides a noticeable improvement to the the car's handling and the other provides of bit of extra kick and an overall smoother delivery of power.

For $1500ish each both are a no-brainer to me at least... mind you I'm also deep down the rabbit hole on mods so not necessarily the most trusted advisor.
I would agree, get both, but get the DSC 1st...
Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Thanks for all the help! DSC ordered today. Will let the bank account build back up a little and go for the Accessport
Old 09-23-2016, 05:39 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Got the DSC installed today -- only "issues" were getting the carpet loose, trying to see what I was doing in such a confined space, and getting one of the connectors off. I put issues in quotes because even with these issues it was about 40 mins from start to finish.

Took it out for a quick test drive to make sure I did not create any weird codes and everything was ok. Not sure I could tell that much difference on this simple test drive but I am glad that it seems to be working as is is supposed to.

Thanks to all for the guidance and to Larry C thanks for the moral support
Old 09-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Got the DSC installed today -- only "issues" were getting the carpet loose, trying to see what I was doing in such a confined space, and getting one of the connectors off. I put issues in quotes because even with these issues it was about 40 mins from start to finish.

Took it out for a quick test drive to make sure I did not create any weird codes and everything was ok. Not sure I could tell that much difference on this simple test drive but I am glad that it seems to be working as is is supposed to.

Thanks to all for the guidance and to Larry C thanks for the moral support
yeah that larger connector is a real *&^%^$^%$&*!!! to get loose ... which carpet did you have trouble with?

I think you will notice a real difference in the handling, I hope you left a USB cable behind to facilitate maps installation?

next stop - Cobb Accessport!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
yeah that larger connector is a real *&^%^$^%$&*!!! to get loose ... which carpet did you have trouble with?

I think you will notice a real difference in the handling, I hope you left a USB cable behind to facilitate maps installation?

next stop - Cobb Accessport!
Yes that large connector was the one -- almost gave up a couple of times but kept working at it and finally it popped loose. The carpet problem was the one that hooked up to the top of the back of the seats -- had a very hard time getting it up off the "hooks" in the center and the sides.

I was stupid and did not leave a usb hooked up -- I guess I will get to do it again when they release a change to the base program

And, yup Accessport is next -- working on my wife to make that a Christmas present

Quick Reply: DSC or Cobb Accessport ????