Sponsored by:

SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I don't get this. My phone can do hotspot by itself then why does the car need this. The car should connect to the phone if it needs data. If other people need wifi - they can connect to my phone. Though almost everyone has data plan these days.
You can use your phone as a hotspot, it is just a pain in the *** to have to manually connect it each time. Your car won't automatically find it.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Does this work in Canada?

Hi guys,

so recently, here in BC Canada, Fido has a 3GB data only plan for $15/month, and I got a sim card to insert to the PCM for data connection. However, it does not seem to do anything (PCM unit shows Data Connection - SIM Card & I see "LTE" on the bottom left corner of the screen), I still don't get the life-traffic info and other related service. Last night, I login to my account and saw that my usage showed 0. Now, I wonder if the service is only valid in USA or is there any setup I've missed. After searching online and reading the owner's manual, I can't figure it out still. :sure:

any suggestions guys?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:06 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the USA it's only AT&T and you MUST get the SIM card from your Porsche Dealer.
For Canada, call your Dealer.-Richard
Old 11-16-2016, 03:16 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a '17 958 with the new PCM. It came with the AT&T 3-month SIM. Which led to a message the very next morning after our drive from PEC Atlanta to an overnight in Asheville. Apparently Netflix on the iPad burned through 75% of my monthly allowance on just that one leg of the trip back to Maryland. Heh.

I turned on my Galaxy S7's hotspot and used that for the remainder of the trip.

Meanwhile, I now have a Verizon SIM installed in the PCM and it's working fine. It's providing all the same data as did the AT&T card. Understanding, of course, that it'll only work when in areas that have 4G/LTE coverage. It won't work in places where there's no LTE, because there's no CDMA radio in the PCM. Verizon only falls back to CDMA, not GSM.

I don't know what this means regarding activating anything. I suspect you would have to activate it through Porsche via an AT&T SIM. But as far as I can tell you don't have to keep using the AT&T SIM for the PCM to continue working.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Why switch to the more limited Verizon SIM? The cost should be the same per month.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I don't use AT&T at all for any other devices. I'd have to set up another account. I'd have to dedicate data amounts to it and pay for that. Essentially I'd have to have an account running that might not have predictable amounts of data usage on it.

Or I could simply use one of my Verizon SIMs and share the data already setup for that account. I have a 10GB/month account with Verizon shared across our whole household's worth of devices. Tablets, phones, hotspots, etc. Using a SIM on that account allows use of the PCM's features without having to bother with a separate account.

The downside, of course, is if I travel with the car into an area that doesn't have Verizon 4G then I wouldn't have fallback to the slower CDMA network. Which is pretty unlikely as everywhere I go lately has plenty of Verizon 4G coverage. Granted, this would only mean I could do direct lookups from the PCM. All of the regular NAV functions would still be available, as they don't depend on data communication at all. And if I were really desperate for connectivity with the PCM then I could activate the WiFi hotspot on my phone and tether the PCM to that. Essentially going PCM<->WiFi<->Phone<->cell. I don't foresee ever needing to do that. Mainly because my data plan is shared across all my devices. If it wasn't, and I've had plans in the past like that, then perhaps it'd be sort of useful.

If you're in an an area doesn't have as much coverage via Verizon then that wouldn't work for you.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:29 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I should also add that I've confirmed that bi-directional access to the PCM also works through the Verizon SIM. Right now I have the Car Connect app on my phone and it's able to contact the PCM. Car Connect doesn't really "do" all that much other than letting you see several things. Among with is the ignition state, fuel level, location, a fuel range circle, service intervals and TPMS (tire pressure).

It also lets you flash the lights (like when you press the lock button on the remote), along with sounding the alarm, folding in the mirrors and locking it. No unlock, remote start or un-folding the mirrors.

It appears to have geo-fencing and speed limiting. Both of which will send notifications if the vehicle leaves the area or exceeds the configured speed. They both appear to allow setting up multiple areas & speeds, with checkboxes for each. Could be useful if you want to be notified if it moves outside a selected area or gets driven faster than the selected speed.

I only have the basic 'remote services' tier enabled at this point. I don't have the Safety or Security modes activated yet. The Safety mode doesn't seem to do that much other than allowing for reporting airbag deployment or initiating break-down service requests via the app. The security mode looks a bit more interesting in that it has garage and transport modes, along with engine lock features.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:30 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

My V60 has the Volvo equivalent of PCM. I just plugged in a TELUS based SIM and it worked just fine, no muss no fuss, from day one. Even the Apple Watch app works. I guess I will find out with my 991.2. To tell you the truth I hardly ever use the data in the car anyhow. But it was just a few bucks extra a month to add on another sub-account, to my main Cell account.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I have a '17 958 with the new PCM. It came with the AT&T 3-month SIM. Which led to a message the very next morning after our drive from PEC Atlanta to an overnight in Asheville. Apparently Netflix on the iPad burned through 75% of my monthly allowance on just that one leg of the trip back to Maryland. Heh.
Do you know what the allowance is? Maybe it was designed to allow all you can consume of the services included without adding streaming video. If so the same $10 a month device fee through AT&T would not have the LTE limitation.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:29 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

This topic is amazingly confusing. I'm picking up my car this weekend. Are the following statements correct?

1) real time traffic/navigation, google, POI search is free for the first year, and $155/year thereafter.
2) to access the data in #1, you can do that through the supplied ATT SIM card (first 3 months are free), or you can do that via a hotspot on your phone.
3) Car Connect is separate. Through Cobra Telematics, you can choose between 3 plans: Remote services ($119/yr), Safety services ($159/yr), Security services ($219/yr).

Assuming #2 is correct, two questions:
a) is there a difference in data received whether you use that ATT sim card of your phone as the hotspot? I think i've read conflicting info here that the online traffic is different.
b) If using your phone as a hotspot, do you need to connect it each time? Would seem better to use as opposed to paying $10/month, but maybe not if you have to connect it each time.

For #3 above, I assume you need the ATT sim card plan?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

1 - not sure, I think you're correct.
2 - using your phone's hotspot feature requires manually digging through the PCM menus every time you turn on the engine. Not exactly convenient.
3 - yes, I think you're correct.

2a - don't know as I don't have the patience to enable use of wifi in PCM every time
2b - see 2 and 2a

3 - no, the connection doesn't care what SIM you're using. I have mine working just fine with a Verizon SIM.

I believe, however, that you have to do the initial setup using the Porsche-supplied AT&T SIM. At least that's what they did for me at the PEC when I took delivery. I've heard conflicting stories on whether or not that has to be a totally fresh AT&T setup or if it can be done by adding that SIM to an existing AT&T account. I don't have AT&T so that wasn't a factor.

The PEC folks accepted that setting up the SIM was tedious. It really disrupted the otherwise fantastic delivery process. It took me another three days of phone calls to vodaphone to straighten the mess out. One bit of advice, when it asks you to create a ridiculously tedious password, WRITE IT DOWN, TWICE. I thought I did since I used a password generator to create it. But either I got it wrong or vodaphone's database screwed it up. It all worked long enough to activcate the account and for one phone to get set up. But when I tried to set up another phone the next day my password wouldn't work. Nor would the system let me reset it. It took two days of phone calls to get them to manually re-activate my already activated account (because one phone clearly already worked).
Old 11-16-2016, 07:51 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Do you know what the allowance is? Maybe it was designed to allow all you can consume of the services included without adding streaming video. If so the same $10 a month device fee through AT&T would not have the LTE limitation.
I do not know what the plan included. I'm inclined to think I won't bother keeping it once the trial has ended. Thus I'm not going to bother trying to find out what it allows (streaming-wise).

The use of a hotspot built-into the car seems like a prime candidate for sharing plan data consumption with other devices. Unless you already have a very clear idea about how much data you'd need it would be difficult to estimate what a car hotspot would 'need'. You'd end up paying for either too little or too much. With a shared plan at least you're not stuck with a capacity going un-consumed.

I'm thinking that someone that has a decent AT&T data plan should probably be able to use the full range of PCM data features with an add-on SIM to their existing account. But that it'd require using this demo SIM for initial setup.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

To follow up on the geo and speed fencing options of Car Connect. They do work with a Verizon SIM being in the PCM. That is, I set a geo-fence and a speed-limit and both sent messages.

Trouble is they're only messages within the Car Connect software. They're not e-mail or SMS text messages. Nor do they use the Android phone notification features. I don't have any IOS phones on which to test it, so I can't speak to that. The Car Connect has to be running AND you have to look at the sidebar or the messages inbox. This is pretty lame. I'd much rather have options to use SMS or e-mail instead. I guess it's better than nothing, but not by much.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 PM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by trice9
This topic is amazingly confusing. I'm picking up my car this weekend. Are the following statements correct?

1) real time traffic/navigation, google, POI search is free for the first year, and $155/year thereafter.
2) to access the data in #1, you can do that through the supplied ATT SIM card (first 3 months are free), or you can do that via a hotspot on your phone.
3) Car Connect is separate. Through Cobra Telematics, you can choose between 3 plans: Remote services ($119/yr), Safety services ($159/yr), Security services ($219/yr).

Assuming #2 is correct, two questions:
a) is there a difference in data received whether you use that ATT sim card of your phone as the hotspot? I think i've read conflicting info here that the online traffic is different.

The ATT plan ran out while taking my 991.2 to a Custom Shop, I used my phone as a Hot Spot and the NAV did not locate blocked road, Got the ATT paid (can only do on-line) and checked, the NAV now showed the blocked road.
b) If using your phone as a hotspot, do you need to connect it each time? No.
Would seem better to use as opposed to paying $10/month, but maybe not if you have to connect it each time.
No, but again my experience is that you must use the supplied SIM and use ATT for full features.

For #3 above, I assume you need the ATT sim card plan?

No, there is an undocumented SIM also in your vehicle for Car Connect.
I pulled the ATT SIM and was still able to find my car and sound horn and flash lights.
Thanks.
Read above as I have embedded answers.
If you have an iPhone in your 991.2, with the supplied ATT SIM, you have three SIM's in your car.
One in your phone, one in the slot and one undocumented.
You can feed the vehicle NAV from either the ATT SIM or your iPhone.
Good luck, I have spent a few hours on this Topic and I'm' not sure anyone knows the entire picture. You will have to get various codes from Service for implementation.-Richard
Old 11-18-2016, 12:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

While it's tedious to edit, it's even more tedious trying to read 'embedded' replies. I do appreciate the responses, however, so thanks for that.

It does indeed appear to be the case that even with the front-pluggable SIM card removed the vehicle can still communicate. The 'Car Connect' app does continue to be able to communicate with the vehicle. Folding the mirrors, locking the doors, getting location and various stats, all continue to work without any SIM being installed at all. Which supports the notion that there's something associated with the PCM that has been configured to allow communicating over the cellular networks. Is this tied to the same account (and SIM) as the one used to configure the data services? I don't know.

I'm guessing I'd have to figure out how to check my AT&T account to see if there's more than one device IMEI/MEID/ESN attached to it. Because, since this is an entirely new account, if there's more than one device on it then it'd be reasonable to assume the account would have to be active in order for the embedded IMEI features to continue to function.

Or it could be that the device is configured with Porsche/Cobra/Vodaphone and it's their account that's configured to use the cellular networks (independently of the removable AT&T SIM). This wouldn't be unheard of, as industrial & fleet tracking services sometimes do this. As does the Amazon 'WhisperSync' service they include on their Kindle hardware readers. It's Amazon's account with the cell providers that handles all the data traffic. You don't have an independent account configured for it.

Knowing which it is would be important determining if it's actually "necessary" to keep the AT&T account active or not. I'd prefer to not have to bother paying to keep yet another account active when all it's going to support is the Car Connect features. I'd think, given the yearly fee for those tiers, that it'd be included in THAT expense.

As for other services, I've not yet done enough with the PCM to be able to tell if it's getting the full range of data possible. I don't know what it can or can't get via AT&T to be able to tell if anything's missing via another SIM. I'd welcome suggestions on specific things to check. Bearing in mind that I'm in the US mid-Atlantic market. I've read conflicting info regarding traffic/data in European markets, so I'm not sure exactly what's available here in the US.

And while it has SiriusXM active on the PCM, I have no idea what (if any) data it's getting via satellite. It's getting music, obviously, and the traffic audio stations. But I haven't seen any menu settings that say anything about traffic data.

Quick Reply: SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING