Sponsored by:

Why does Porsche use P Zeros?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
There's a good pic somewhere on this board of just how dramatically different the shoulder profile on the P-Zero and SS really are on a 20" 991's wheel. Wish someone could find it.
This suggests that the N-spec P-Zero should outperform or have better handling characteristics than the non-N-spec MPSS. Can anyone confirm that? The MPSS have been on back order so long that I'm getting to the point of decision on whether to go with more P-Zeros or MPSS. Originally I was going to take off and store the P-Zeros because the MPSS were reportedly quieter yet with the same performance. Now I'm now so sure I want to trade away any handling for quiet.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:33 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts

What's so important about N Spec?
Will my dealer give me hard time if any warranty repair if I don't use N spec?

I just replaced OEM N spec P zero to PSS (OEM size) and i really like them.
PSS came with my F10 M5 and loved it so I put them on and i'm more confidence and feels more grips (street use only).

Let me know. Thanks,
Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The whole N-spec thing is marketing. That's not to say these tires are a rip-off. They do represent a tradeoff between comfort and performance that Porsche and the tire maker have agreed on. So of course they are good tires. But in the act of granting this Porsche-approved N-spec rating Porsche also confers added brand name market value that the tire makers use to fatten their margins in an otherwise thin-margin market. And again, N-spec is Porsche and the tire makers idea of what a tire should be. Its probably a pretty good idea, but its not the markets idea.

For the markets idea, read this thread- or even better go to the Tire Rack and read some of the very useful comments and reviews of the various tire choices. Both are a reflection of what I've said above. There are people in the market who find things to love about pretty much every tire out there. The trick is to match up YOUR particular set of priorities with theirs. If you can do that then your odds of getting tires you'll love go way up. N-spec or no-spec really does not matter. What matters is they suit your driving and you're happy with them. Understanding the game dramatically improves your odds of getting there.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
This suggests that the N-spec P-Zero should outperform or have better handling characteristics than the non-N-spec MPSS. Can anyone confirm that? The MPSS have been on back order so long that I'm getting to the point of decision on whether to go with more P-Zeros or MPSS. Originally I was going to take off and store the P-Zeros because the MPSS were reportedly quieter yet with the same performance. Now I'm now so sure I want to trade away any handling for quiet.
MPSS is a better handling tyre than the PZero IMO ..
Old 11-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isugoo
What's so important about N Spec?
Its a technical/engineered formulation of a particular tire (e.g: PZero, MPSS, MPSC2 etc) that Porsche and the tire manufacturer have collaborated to develop
for a particular model in order to optimize the handling etc

Will my dealer give me hard time if any warranty repair if I don't use N spec?
they are not allowed to by law.

I just replaced OEM N spec P zero to PSS (OEM size) and i really like them.
PSS came with my F10 M5 and loved it so I put them on and i'm more confidence and feels more grips (street use only).

Let me know. Thanks,
Old 11-26-2015, 03:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

20+ yrs ago, Porsche folks argued day and night whether N spec was marketing voo-doo...not so much anymore, as many foreign and domestic manufacturers now have bespoke versions with unique rubber tread composition , side wall profile /compliance characteristics and belt structure optimized for their target car's chassis weight , weight balance , desired handling envelope and marketing driven expection for tire life, rolling resistence and noise tolerance vs the wider enveope " off the shelf for any car " version of a PZero, MPSS, Sport Cup ,etc...

fewer and fewer folks today still believe that if a tire is the same name, is same size, is round, is black and is made of something rubbery ....it is the EXACT same tire as the generic one coming out of the mold except for additional "N" , "MO " "F " etc embosser attached to the tire sidewall's stamping die !
Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
20+ yrs ago, Porsche folks argued day and night whether N spec was marketing voo-doo...not so much anymore, as every high end manufacturer has their own bespoke versions now even for their SUVs , not just sporty cars ...with bespoke rubber tread composition , bespoke side wall profile and stiffness and bespoke belt structure for their chassis optimized version of a PZero, MPSS, Sport Cup ,etc...

some folks today still seem to think that if a tire is the same name, is same size, is round, is black and is made of something rubbery ....it is the exact same tire except for NO,MO ,F, etc embossed onto the sidewall !
+1 ... when I attended the MPSS launch in Dubai Michelin had a bunch of manufacturers engineers in attendance, they went into great detail how they
collaborate at the engineering level to adapt the tire for a particular application

These were not marketing folk but the chassis and tire engineers talking
about their job, to optimize the tyre for the car...

The differences may only be 1/10ths on the track but there are design and
manufacturing differences.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:34 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

yeh...even in my prev comment about the squaring of the shoulders of the 991.1 oem spec PZero , they even shifted the internal belts by a few degrees this way and that way to get the tire to work better vs the generic tire ...that is the kind of detail these bespoke tires are built to...yet, they are usually same or a few bucks more or even a few bucks less than the generic version at places like Tire Rack , not 10-30% more like you would think ,for all the tire company time and expense that go into it...but it is surely due to the fact that thousands and thousand of units are built to just these handful of sizes and they want to keep in good stead with the car makers for contracts for where the real money is made ...CUV/ SUVs and the like !

Quick Reply: Why does Porsche use P Zeros?