Sponsored by:

US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts
Default US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences

I've been operating my US Spec 2014 991 in Europe for almost a year. I'm not sure if there are many doing the same, but worth a try to share some info.

Some unique things I've learned so far:

1. Traffic input to the PCM works here without a subscription. My car is equipped with the XM option, but no satellite coverage in Europe. I was pleasantly surprised after loading European maps on my car and the traffic warnings started popping up immediately. The dynamic re-routing works pretty well and has saved us several times especially on A8 between Stuttgart, Munich, and Salzburg. There are plenty of traffic events in my area, and it is nice to see working. I run Waze on my iPhone in parallel so that displays the speed and red light cameras as well as traffic.

2. Aha Radio. I can't get it to work. I have Aha on my iPhone with a Aha login active. When I connect my phone via USB cable to the glove box port, the Source menu only shows the AM, FM, CD, Sat, iPod, BT, and BT Aux, but no Aha listed as a source as the PCM manual says it should. Am I missing something? My only thought is that the Euro map load perhaps interfere with it though that seems a bit of a reach.

3. Returning to the USA and switching back to North American Maps. When I received my car in Germany, the local dealer loaded the European maps. In the 997, I think this was via DVD. The 991 Euro map load was not via DVD, but download from the dealer computer and Witt took a few hours. Trying to determine if when I return to the US if I need to pay again for the North American maps or are they still resident on the hard drive. Knowing Porsche, I assume I will have to pay again for North American map download. However, when poking around on the PCM tonight to try to learn a few new things I stumbled across this sequence of three screens. I am hoping that all I have to do when I get back to the US is to toggle the database to North America and have the maps and POI database active without having to go to the dealer and pay again for the maps that I bought with the purchase of the vehicle. Anyone have experience with this?

4. Warning triangles are required here in Germany and the Porsche stock triangle mounts to the top ledge of the frunk very nicely.

5. Front license plate mount looks awesome with Euro style plates. I'll return to a state that doesn't require them, so I'll keep my German plates to take home. The mount is form-fitted to the front bumper very nicely.

6. Winter tires are required from October to Easter in Germany. I have stock Pirelli N0s in 20"/295 in back which is down from the normal 20/305 summers in back. The tires are limited to 240 kph or about 140 mph. They seem to work very well on the dry/wet road or in the snow/ice.

Would be great to hear from others out there and see what other unique features or challenges are out there operating a US spec car in Europe.
Attached Images     
Old 10-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the sideways pictures...any solution to that?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the info, your 50 is beautiful. I might do the reverse and take my US version to the US if I ever move back.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I've been operating my US Spec 2014 991 in Europe for almost a year. I'm not sure if there are many doing the same, but worth a try to share some info.
Curious to know what if anything you had to do to register it in the EU in terms of inspections and type certs etc?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Pavegeno928-
Very nice phototography of your car/background!
I can't wait to take mine out in some snow.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (04-22-2021)
Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

... 4. Warning triangles are required here in Germany and the Porsche stock triangle mounts to the top ledge of the frunk very nicely.
Can you post a picture of that? I kept my triangle, vest and first aid kit supplied with ED. I'd would be nice to see how they are supposed to mount.

TIA!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Curious to know what if anything you had to do to register it in the EU in terms of inspections and type certs etc?
The car has to go through German inspection every two years which is very in-depth. It tests all the mechanicals. Similar to the old US inspections back in the 70s and 80s I remember in Florida before Florida did away with inspections. Interestingly enough, no emissions testing. I had a bypass pipe on my classic 911 in the US and bought a cat before I shipped it over as i figured they would reject it without it.

As US military, as long as the car passes the inspection, you can drive US Spec cars here as long you are on assignment.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Can you post a picture of that? I kept my triangle, vest and first aid kit supplied with ED. I'd would be nice to see how they are supposed to mount.

TIA!
Here you go...
Attached Images      
Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

TIA!
No mounts for the First Aid Kit and vests...I store them loose under the exterior car cover along with the Mobil 1 Oil bag with velcro.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

The car has to go through German inspection every two years which is very in-depth. It tests all the mechanicals. Similar to the old US inspections back in the 70s and 80s I remember in Florida before Florida did away with inspections. Interestingly enough, no emissions testing. I had a bypass pipe on my classic 911 in the US and bought a cat before I shipped it over as i figured they would reject it without it.

As US military, as long as the car passes the inspection, you can drive US Spec cars here as long you are on assignment.
thanks! - I think its different for non-military importation and usage.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Thank you very much for the pictures Kind Sir!

No mounts for the First Aid Kit and vests...I store them loose under the exterior car cover along with the Mobil 1 Oil bag with velcro.
And... for me... no mounts on the posterior of the frunk for the triangle as shown in your pictures. And it would appear that there are three aspects to the mount: the brackets, the holes in the carpet and the mounting tabs for the brackets poke through the holes. I have none of those.

Velcro will have to continue to function in this capacity.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 PM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool winter shot. Thank you for your service...
Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for the pictures Kind Sir!

And... for me... no mounts on the posterior of the frunk for the triangle as shown in your pictures. And it would appear that there are three aspects to the mount: the brackets, the holes in the carpet and the mounting tabs for the brackets poke through the holes. I have none of those.

Velcro will have to continue to function in this capacity.
On our 08 Cayman you could feel under the carpet on the ledge the holes that are there for the Euro triangle mount. The kit I purchased from Suncoast Porsche contained the screws, the two black plastic mount, and the triangle...very easy.

On the 991, the two black plastic mounts slide in under the carpet. The local dealer installed it for me no charge when I had Euro maps loaded. You can order it from Suncoast at https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991TRIANGLE.html
Old 10-06-2015, 01:31 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Are your rear indicators amber or red?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Pavegeno928-
Very nice phototography of your car/background!
I can't wait to take mine out in some snow.
I've posted this elsewhere on List, but here is one in the same location of the front and side in the Black Forest.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences