Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE Tuning 991S/4S/GTS Exhaust Video & Special Pricing by TAG Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

up until the point that you discover that AWE either cant measure, or are too cheap, to include enough vacuum line to comfortably reach from the t-connector
to the actuator on the drivers side... 15" is *not* long enough! 13.5" for the
passenger side is fine, with some to spare, the drivers side is just not long enough by about 2-3" ...

So instead of wrapping this up, I now have to trot off to Kragen to get some hose, then hopefully find some Oetiker "9" 2-ear hose clamps ...

*not* TAG's fault whatsoever ...

Update the drivers side vacuum actuator when installed, had its
vacuum line connector pointing towards the front of the car, disconnecting
the actuator and rotating it clockwise 120 degrees allowed the 15" hose to attach...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 04-07-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:27 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
up until the point that you discover that AWE either cant measure, or are too cheap, to include enough vacuum line to comfortably reach from the t-connector
to the actuator on the drivers side... 15" is *not* long enough! 13.5" for the
passenger side is fine, with some to spare, the drivers side is just not long enough by about 2-3" ...

So instead of wrapping this up, I now have to trot off to Kragen to get some hose, then hopefully find some Oetiker "9" 2-ear hose clamps ...

*not* TAG's fault whatsoever ...

Update the drivers side vacuum actuator when installed, had its
vacuum line connector pointing towards the front of the car, disconnecting
the actuator and rotating it clockwise 120 degrees allowed the 15" hose to attach...
Any review yet? I think this will be my first mod once I pass a smog check.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Any review yet? I think this will be my first mod once I pass a smog check.
working the issue with AWE, rotating the actuator is not an option apparently, it seems as though the GTS vacuum connector location is different so you need
a longer hose to reach the drivers side ...

so I am awaiting that from AWE before I complete the install.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

working the issue with AWE, rotating the actuator is not an option apparently, it seems as though the GTS vacuum connector location is different so you need
a longer hose to reach the drivers side ...

so I am awaiting that from AWE before I complete the install.
Do you think that's why you've had to pull off the rear bumper as well (while others said they didn't have to)?
Old 04-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Larry - this is turning into quite a project for you! Sorry to hear.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Do you think that's why you've had to pull off the rear bumper as well (while others said they didn't have to)?
no, I still think you *could* so it without removing the bumper, but net/net I think that removing it really makes the job of exhaust R&R much simpler especially if you dont enjoy lying on your back for hours!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Larry - this is turning into quite a project for you! Sorry to hear.
it appears as though the vacuum line from the engine on the GTS (and maybe the X51?) is offset to the passenger side vs the "regular" S ... hence the
drivers side 15" line is too short...

my "solution" was to rotate the actuator 120 clockwise to narrow the distance
between the actuator and engine, thus enabling the line to work, AWE rightly
expressed concern that this might expose the line to additional heat from the
exhaust, so they are overnighting a new hose and clips to me to resolve the
problem (which fastdiablo also encountered previously when doing his DIY install)

So, I will remove the exhaust (again) and return the actuator to its original
position and re-attache the longer line.

FYI to any GTS owner wanting to install an AWE exhaust ensure that you have this longer line before commencing the install
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'll post a DIY thread over the weekend once I get the install completed and discuss the merits of bumper removal vs not...
Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

I'll post a DIY thread over the weekend once I get the install completed and discuss the merits of bumper removal vs not...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI to any GTS owner wanting to install an AWE exhaust ensure that you have this longer line before commencing the install
Hopefully AWE will update their specs and make sure to ship the proper line depending on the 991 model...
They should pay you for debugging this for them!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, I already debugged it with them and am none too pleased that Larry is having the exact same flipping issue AND my exhaust was shipped with short hoses and get this.. ZIP TIES compared to Larry's kit which had the metal hose clamp/clips. Like what, they were out of proper parts when my $2500 exhaust was shipped so they threw in zip ties? And btw, the story I got from AWE about the hose being short was that the instructions were based on a preproduction unit and the actual valve actuators were higher end units with nipples that pointed towards the front of the car. Now the story is its the car's fault because it's a GTS not a Carerra S. So now I'm driving around in 150k car with zip ties holding vacuum hoses on.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:25 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Uh, I already debugged it with them and am none too pleased that Larry is having the exact same flipping issue AND my exhaust was shipped with short hoses and get this.. ZIP TIES compared to Larry's kit which had the metal hose clamp/clips. Like what, they were out of proper parts when my $2500 exhaust was shipped so they threw in zip ties? And btw, the story I got from AWE about the hose being short was that the instructions were based on a preproduction unit and the actual valve actuators were higher end units with nipples that pointed towards the front of the car. Now the story is its the car's fault because it's a GTS not a Carerra S. So now I'm driving around in 150k car with zip ties holding vacuum hoses on.
Hmm. Comment AWE?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm. Comment AWE?
Another instance of exhaust manufacturers assuming parts designed for an S will fit/perform on a GTS without checking first.

To the credit of another manufacturer I currently have a set of redesigned headers sitting in my shed waiting for install...
Old 04-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
now I have the oetiker crimping tool, I'm happy to construct a line for you man!

Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Comment AWE?
AWE have been very responsive, they are shipping me a new line and clamps so hopefully I'll be done this weekend and will let them know just how long that
line needs to be to work on the GTS ... so hopefully other GTS owners wont
have the same issue that fastdiablo and I have had ...

apart from this issue, the product is high quality and I cant wait to put the car
back together, wait for the rain to stop, and head out onto the open rad!

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning 991S/4S/GTS Exhaust Video & Special Pricing by TAG Motorsports