Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS PTS - CZW, extended dashboard leather - reflections?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
But now look what you have done Mr Z356, showing me your CTK; flaunting its beauty when I didn't ask for it. Teasing me. I know that you know that was has been seen can never be unseen, and that I shall not sleep easy until CTK is in my basket...When will it all end - I need to be able to feed my kids.
That's the tragedy. It doesn't end. It will never end. It's a disease that has no cure nor antidote. It's now permanent.

It all usually starts innocently enough. You are ordering a Porsche and think 'full leather' might be the right option to choose. You think that's it. No more thinking nor spending is needed past this option. But then you discover is not over...it's only just begun. 'Full leather', it turns out, should be called 'fool's leather'. 'Full' leather is anything but full, but it's the gateway drug to something else in the configurator that describes your truly full options in leather. And they are not explained particularly well. So some idiot has dedicated a good part of his years here at Rennlist trying to explain them to the rest of us!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum-125/

Combined, these threads have over 283K views or hits! It's ridiculous.

So you end up with a 'Sophie's Choice' moment, having to decide between feeding your kids or using that money for another cool leather option on your Porsche? What to to do? No contest - sell the kids! You can always make more of these bothersome rug-rats later. Porsches don't normally poop all day nor need to be educated at expensive private schools! Kids are over-rated! On the other hand, a custom ordered Porsche, fully optioned to the max, probably comes into your life only once! Get your priorities straight and remember...carpe diem!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS. By the way, Puf, none of those options I showed you are of 'my' car. They belong to a PTS 'Viper Green' 911 Turbo S Cabriolet that PCNA's 'Porsche Exclusive' ordered as its show car for the West Coast of North America. They ran out of space on the Monroney to list all the options on that Panzerkampfwagen...but they add up to a cool US $246,685! Sorry if it misled you into thinking I paid for any of it myself!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Of the 6 Porsches I have owned since 1974, all were purchased new but only 2 were ordered. I bought the other 4 from the dealer's inventory. I have found that The Configurator is like a Candy Store. If one stops to think what one really needs in a Porsche, reality sets in. My 2 ordered Porsches (1995 993 and 2015 GTS) were both very boring. Ordered colors of exterior and interior. Nothing else! My inventory cars came with options I never used (Sun roofs, Targa, lumbar support, etc). The real secret is some soul-searching. Are you a deviant and NEED deviated stitching? Other than my colors, I needed nothing more than performance; hence, the MT GTS. The dealers love to see the option-lusters coming. Show some restraint, do some research, think and you can get a marvelous car.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
The real secret is some soul-searching. Are you a deviant and NEED deviated stitching? Other than my colors, I needed nothing more than performance; hence, the MT GTS. The dealers love to see the option-lusters coming. Show some restraint, do some research, think and you can get a marvelous car.
Puf, don't listen to this guy! He has only owned 6 Porsches since 1974. What does he know? Nichts. I know gt3 forum members that have had bought and sold 6 Porsches in the last six months! Freeman probably drives a Prius as his everyday car - talk about 'deviants'! Trust me - everyone needs deviating stitching. There is no thing as 'too much' deviating stitching.

Go ahead Puf...get rid of the kids. You are on the right track...think about all of that leather & deviating stitching! The aroma, the allure! And remember, you only live once!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Bino
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
... So some idiot has dedicated a good part of his years here at Rennlist trying to explain them to the rest of us!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum-125/

Combined, these threads have over 283K views or hits! It's ridiculous.
And here come the correct links to the threads by some idiot as mentioned above.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...e-and-you.html

Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Are you a deviant and NEED deviated stitching?
My name is Puf n Stuf and I am a deviaholic!

This will be my first Porsche. Until now, for the past 2 decades all my chariots have been BMW 5 Series. Fine cars, mostly.

Due to circumstances, I once got a poverty spec 530. Not one single option. Let me point out that BMW’s base spec in UK is far, far worse than base spec in US. Anyway, I found the car to be fine at first; it went like the clappers. But by 6 months, the honeymoon had long worn off. I hated the steering wheel (too thin), the leather (not full), the audio (barely audible), etc. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I was missing during my 100 mile daily commute. Every morning, I’d look out of the window hoping that car had caught fire or been stolen. And because of needs, I had to have the car for 6 years and put 200,000 miles on it.

Freeman, you are right - restraint is needed. The Configurator leads one into temptation - I shall try to be good to a point. But I don’t want to go to my grave thinking, ‘I wish I had spent more time with a fully-optioned interior’.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:22 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The car drives beautifully without a fully optioned interior
Old 05-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z356
Go ahead Puf...get rid of the kids. You are on the right track...think about all of that leather & deviating stitching!
Fagin will have the kids and maybe have Mrs Puf too. Even so, I’ve got to moderate things. I’m not having a sunroof, rear spoiler nor clear light covers, so in my mind, that allows me some financial leeway to kit-out the interior.

Eduardo, your Custom Ordering threads are so insightful - I am grateful.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm waiting for Grigio Campovolo
As much as I'd love to see all the stitching, I'm actually more interested in seeing your PTS paint! I have a modegrau / fashion grey car that originally was slated to be grigio campovolo (but changed late in the game for a variety of reasons). I've never seen campovolo apart from a few poor quality photos, so I'm really hoping you'll post a lot of photos of yours when it arrives! I'm very curious to see what it looks like! Congratulations in advance!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Originally Posted by <3mph
I've never seen campovolo apart from a few poor quality photos...
Well to continue the tradition, here are some more poor quality photos! This is a C4S in Grigio Campovolo at my local dealer - very handy as I wouldn't have been brave enough to order it unseen. I realised when taking them that they would come out rubbish - the conditions were harsh; part shade, part strong sunlight, and with a bit of artificial light thrown into the mix.

I think it'll work better on a GTS with the black wheels & bits. Loved the colour as soon as I saw it, and went back several times to check it out. This grey has hardly a hint of any colour - it's as if Porsche took a tin of white and added a few drops of black. It closely resembles a primer coat. Not to everyones' taste, I'm sure, but it is to mine.

As per the usual story, the photos don't ring true. There's a white GTS in the background which may help as a reference. When my car comes, I'll take some decent pictures.

BTW, the dealer told me that they had a customer try to order a Macan in the colour and Porsche said 'Nein, nein, nein - Das is nicht gut!' Ok, I may have embellished that a bit but I'm glad I won't have to chance pulling up next to a matching SUV.
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More of it ...

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case your upcoming GTS is cabriolet, this seat looks stunning with open top

Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Hey Puf ....I was in that dealership about a month ago and saw that car. I asked about the colour, thinking it may be geyser grey (50th anniversary colour), but he put me right.. It is a lovely "non" colour. Black GTS wheels will work really well with the "non" colour.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:56 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Thumbs up

I am really eager to see the photos when it arrives.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Originally Posted by pyramid
In case your upcoming GTS is cabriolet, this seat looks stunning with open top
Pyramid, Thanks for the photos. Those seats do look cool in carbon but, my daily commute totals 2+ hours so it’s the comfy 18-ways for me. The car will be a coupe.
Originally Posted by PDK1965
I am really eager to see the photos when it arrives.
PDK1965 (you 50 this year, per chance?), Sure I shall post photos in case it’s of use to others in future even if it only helps someone to rule it out as an option.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Put an order and deposit down yesterday for a GTS with PTS. An October build, which would have been 3 months earlier but for the PTS - so a build which will be a month after the 991.2 announcement and possibly just a month before 991.2 production commences. I’m sure I’ve done the right thing getting NA for my first 911.

My spec includes CZW Extended Interior Package Dashboard Trim in Leather with rhodium stitching but I couldn’t find a car in person that had this in any colour let alone rhodium thread.

Please, to those with this feature, do any of the stitched areas create irritating reflections in the windscreen?
Attachment 935644
Very funny thread. Debating extended leather dash with GT Silver stitching but worried about ghosting on the windshield. Can’t find any cars nearby with this option to check out. Does ANYONE who has brighter deviated stitching on their extended leather dash regret it?

Quick Reply: GTS PTS - CZW, extended dashboard leather - reflections?