Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab GTS order in Lava orange, Carmine or White?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

^^^ +1 not a fan of the Zanzibar ....
Old 04-23-2015, 04:26 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
I have seen Lava Orange in person; it really is NOT nice - weird mix of salmon and persimmon.

White is boring.

Go Carmine!
Where did you see the Lava Orange?
Carmine is definitely an option.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Zuffenhausen - PORCHE ZENTRUM STUTTGART this past Monday - GT3RS
Attached Images  

Last edited by JUPJAI; 04-23-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Colors you mentioned in order of preference for a cab:
1. Carmine
2. White

99. Lava Orange
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
Where did you see the Lava Orange?
Originally Posted by JUPJAI
Zuffenhausen Factory this past Monday - GT3RS
Well, technically speaking, at the Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart! Right Henry!

It is troubling that you found 'Lava Orange' had a double or triple personality in reality. Sort of tomato, salmon or persimmon. The vintage 'Blutorange / Tangerine' color was pretty singular in character...and quite attractive.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes Eduardo, before our factory tour at PORSCHE Zentrum Stuttgart - post corrected!

Blutorange is a very good description - I love blood oranges
RAL2002 is a very good sample of Blutorange for those who use this colour system.

Eduardo, I have our FANTINI faucets in all vintage Porsche colours in our new home:
Gelbgrun RAL6018
Slate Grey or Schiefergrau RAL 7015
and Blutorange above
I will PM you these when complete
Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

I wonder if it (RS) will still be there in 3 wks time when I'm in Stuttgart?

it does look a little unpleasantly "salmony" in the pictures...
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It was tough for me commit to Lava without seeing it in person but after the endless stream of silver/gray/black/white Porsches online and at the dealers I felt like being different. Love it or hate it, my guess is that Lava won't be a color that blends in too easily with all the other machinery on the road.

My understanding is that Porsche first started out with bright "M&M" colors in the early 70s because the reasoning was that the cars would be much more visible on the autobahn as they rapidly approached you from behind and then disappeared into the distance. A claimed 'safety' feature. As many here have mentioned, it is these colors today like Viper Green, Blood Orange, and Mexico Blue that command the highest premium. I'm sure back then there was plenty of debate about buying one of these cars in a color outside the mainstream. Hell, maybe they were considered flashy even back then. For me, Lava Orange harkens back to this time period and since I'm a Porsche buff there really just wasn't any other choice for me.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked

My understanding is that Porsche first started out with bright "M&M" colors in the early 70s because the reasoning was that the cars would be much more visible on the autobahn as they rapidly approached you from behind and then disappeared into the distance. A claimed 'safety' feature. As many here have mentioned, it is these colors today like Viper Green, Blood Orange, and Mexico Blue that command the highest premium. I'm sure back then there was plenty of debate about buying one of these cars in a color outside the mainstream. Hell, maybe they were considered flashy even back then.
Yes, those were the so-called "visibility colors".

Back in high school there was Signal Orange Carrera, just like the one above (except for the rear spoiler, which probably makes it a 75) and its still etched into my brain every time I saw that car, especially that beautiful out of this world orange. Of course I was too young to even consider that anyone buying one would hesitate even a moment over the color, I just knew it was awesome! I never considered it flashy. The flashy cars back then were the ones my friends had repainted gaudy kandy-kolored tangerine flake streamline baby, if I can borrow Tom Wolfe's phrase.

I don't know if those visibility colors command a premium, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They do stand out. But they are also timelessly classy.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

They didn't stand out in 1973. My dad had a 73 Impala that was not far off of Porsche's Jade Green, and a 74 that was akin to Irish Green. Every car line had oranges and yellows, reds, purples, lime and avocado greens, bright metallic blues. The late-seventies and early-eighties saw a big shift to colors like Anthracite, colors that appeared much more serious and buttoned down.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I was told that you cannot take a cabriolet out on most tracks - is that correct?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the Lava Orange. I wish that it would have been an option for my 50th. Mexico blue is still my favorite.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Another vote for Lava Orange......

(Although if it was me, I would get sapphire blue - man, I love that color!)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Back in high school there was Signal Orange Carrera, just like the one above (except for the rear spoiler, which probably makes it a 75) and its still etched into my brain every time I saw that car, especially that beautiful out of this world orange.
The 1974 911 Carrera above, parked for a recent Concours on the Avenue in Carmel, is probably just 'Orange', color code 156.

'Signal Orange', color code 116, was available that year too...but looks & photographs differently!

As you all know, the 1975 Carrera would have had even a bigger 'whale tail':

So the 'Orange' Carrera in the photo above is definitely a US MY1974. The regular 911 & 911S of the period would not have sported any rear spoiler at all - duck or whale tail!

And yes, for whatever reason (visibility or fashion vogue of the times), the colors offered by Porsche in the early seventies were simply awesome! Until the advent of the modern PTS era (apples to oranges, I know!), there was never a similar time in history when so many 'groovy' colors were offered by Porsche on their cars! For instance, in MY1970 Porsche offered 9 regular colors & 21 'Special Colors' as their choices to customers! How many color choices are currently offered on a MY2015 991? Fourteen if you are lucky!

Perhaps this factory photo of the IROC 911 RSRs all together at Werk 1 before being shipped to the US captures the colorful spirit of this unique historical period best!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The 1974 911 Carrera above, parked for a recent Concours on the Avenue in Carmel, is probably just 'Orange', color code 156.

'Signal Orange', color code 116, was available that year too...but looks & photographs differently!

As you all know, the 1975 Carrera would have had even a bigger 'whale tail':

So the 'Orange' Carrera in the photo above is definitely a US MY1974. The regular 911 & 911S of the period would not have sported any rear spoiler at all - duck or whale tail!

And yes, for whatever reason (visibility or fashion vogue of the times), the colors offered by Porsche in the early seventies were simply awesome! Until the advent of the modern PTS era (apples to oranges, I know!), there was never a similar time in history when so many 'groovy' colors were offered by Porsche on their cars! For instance, in MY1970 Porsche offered 9 regular colors & 21 'Special Colors' as their choices to customers! How many color choices are currently offered on a MY2015 991? Fourteen if you are lucky!

Perhaps this factory photo of the IROC 911 RSRs all together at Werk 1 before being shipped to the US captures the colorful spirit of this unique historical period best!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
With the whale tail it was definitely a 75. But the orange, I always thought it was Signal Orange. A little less red than the first picture, a lot less than the second one you said is orange, but slightly more red than the last one you said really is Signal Orange. Thanks Eduardo. Between you and photography now I will have to wait until I can see one in the flesh to ever be sure!

Thanks for posting the IROC cars. Those were some golden years for Porsche, the first (only?) time Americans were treated to a whole grid of colorful Porsches racing on prime time TV, complete with stock car drivers like Richard Petty to get them to tune in. With legendary Porsche driver Mark Donohue winning the first IROC championship in 1974 it really made for some special memories.

Quick Reply: Cab GTS order in Lava orange, Carmine or White?