Sponsored by:

some impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:23 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some impressions

Last fall I traded my 2010 Boxster S in on a Targa 4S with the Powerkit, to use as a grand tourer (Cross-country road trip!) with occasional track time. I very recently took the Porsche 1 day Precision Driving Course where we drove Cayman and Boxster GTS', rear wheel drive 911S' and the Panamera Turbo S. Great cars all. For me, the 911S was the track champ. The Panamera was surprisingly capable and agile on the track, but still mostly a street car. The Boxster/Cayman is a hoot to drive and is an absolute blast in autocross. Although the Boxters were quick and nimble, the 991s were razor precise and just kept inviting more speed. Could have driven one all day. Without a direct comparison, my Targa 4S feels a different beast. It is remarkably stable and precise and a delight to drive in snow, but there is just too much understeer. Enter a corner with a fair bit of speed and the weight does not seem to transfer. I feel like I am wrestling it through a corner (though in the end, it will get around a corner quicker than my previous BoxterS). I have been driving it with PDCC on, so this may have been a factor.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Last fall I traded my 2010 Boxster S in on a Targa 4S with the Powerkit, to use as a grand tourer (Cross-country road trip!) with occasional track time. I very recently took the Porsche 1 day Precision Driving Course where we drove Cayman and Boxster GTS', rear wheel drive 911S' and the Panamera Turbo S. Great cars all. For me, the 911S was the track champ. The Panamera was surprisingly capable and agile on the track, but still mostly a street car. The Boxster/Cayman is a hoot to drive and is an absolute blast in autocross. Although the Boxters were quick and nimble, the 991s were razor precise and just kept inviting more speed. Could have driven one all day. Without a direct comparison, my Targa 4S feels a different beast. It is remarkably stable and precise and a delight to drive in snow, but there is just too much understeer. Enter a corner with a fair bit of speed and the weight does not seem to transfer. I feel like I am wrestling it through a corner (though in the end, it will get around a corner quicker than my previous BoxterS). I have been driving it with PDCC on, so this may have been a factor.
Interesting. I also own a targa 4S and love it to pieces..but without power kit. Do you feel the added power on your targa in comparison to the S you drove on the track, or does the added weight drag it down? I am considering adding the power kit or just trading up for a GTS targa but am not sure if it's worth it.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I concur. I found the dynamics a bit wierd n the track as compared to the non targa. Presumably the added weight and placement of the roof system.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Haven't really opened the Targa up yet, I'm still on wear-in and winter tires. The book says to to keep it below 4200 RPM during wear-in and the power advantage doesn't come on till higher in the rev range. Everything I read suggests that there won't be much difference unless you're wringing it out on the track, and I got the power kit just for that reason. On the other hand, if you can afford it, why not.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by Grunty
I concur. I found the dynamics a bit wierd n the track as compared to the non targa. Presumably the added weight and placement of the roof system.
Yeah, they are a bit weird. I'm pretty comfortable in front or rear wheel drive cars but this is a bit different. 430 horsepower coupled with all wheel drive that tries to be rear wheel drive, PDCC and the engine hanging out the back makes for a complicated experience. It's definitely not as linear as the 911S. Driving on snowy roads the grip was astounding, but when traction started to go, it wasn't always clear whether it was going to push or swing. It's going to take some getting used to. I suspect that's why they dialed in so much understeer.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

. I have been driving it with PDCC on, so this may have been a factor.
Just to be clear, it is my understanding that the "PDCC & Shock" button doesn't actually turn PDCC on or off -- it is to turn on sport settings for the shocks; the PDCC logo is there simply to let you know the car has PDCC in conjunction with your adjustable firmness shocks.

From all I've read, if you have PDCC it is always on. But there does seem to be a tremendous amount of confusion about this, including amongst most salespeople I've ever talked to, who also believe you are "turning PDCC off" with that button.

I skipped PDCC so I can't say with any certainty, and to be honest, I don't know that even people who have it can say with much certainty. Could be a bit of a placebo effect -- "I turned off PDCC and now the car is rolling more in turns." The button may control our perception of roll, and nothing more.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Just to be clear, it is my understanding that the "PDCC & Shock" button doesn't actually turn PDCC on or off -- it is to turn on sport settings for the shocks; the PDCC logo is there simply to let you know the car has PDCC in conjunction with your adjustable firmness shocks.

From all I've read, if you have PDCC it is always on. But there does seem to be a tremendous amount of confusion about this, including amongst most salespeople I've ever talked to, who also believe you are "turning PDCC off" with that button.

I skipped PDCC so I can't say with any certainty, and to be honest, I don't know that even people who have it can say with much certainty. Could be a bit of a placebo effect -- "I turned off PDCC and now the car is rolling more in turns." The button may control our perception of roll, and nothing more.
Just checked the manual. Quite right, it says the button controls shock firmness not whether PDCC is on or off. Red light means the sport setting is on. My butt can't tell the difference, but my wife thought the ride was stiffer with sport selected. Pretty subtle though. I have read that PDCC makes it tougher to read the limit, so this could be part of my problem.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Haven't really opened the Targa up yet, I'm still on wear-in and winter tires. The book says to to keep it below 4200 RPM during wear-in and the power advantage doesn't come on till higher in the rev range. Everything I read suggests that there won't be much difference unless you're wringing it out on the track, and I got the power kit just for that reason. On the other hand, if you can afford it, why not.
Yes I'm still in the wear-in period too and keep it below 4200 (though sometimes when I hit the sport plus button, which is not often, it jumps above). I can't tell you how many people on this forum rev up their engines way past in the first 2k miles I find it astounding.
I've read and heard the same that the powerkit is not perceptible on the street so this discourages me from getting it (I figure the parts+labor would cost close to $15-$18k). But it is enticing...
Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by Sharm
Yes I'm still in the wear-in period too and keep it below 4200 (though sometimes when I hit the sport plus button, which is not often, it jumps above). I can't tell you how many people on this forum rev up their engines way past in the first 2k miles I find it astounding.
I've read and heard the same that the powerkit is not perceptible on the street so this discourages me from getting it (I figure the parts+labor would cost close to $15-$18k). But it is enticing...
Drivers at the Porsche Driving School said not to worry about the 4200 RPM limit during wear-in. Porsche techs told them that the cars were made to be driven hard and to go ahead and do so. The bigger danger is to run them at constant speed until they are worn in. Go figure! I guess that myth, misinformation and contradiction are part of the Porsche mystique. At 1400 miles on the clock, I'm probably pretty safe at taking the occasional run to red line, though I'll leave sustained high revs till the 2k are up.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:07 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

My 991c4s has a surprising amount of under steer but I suspect it's the traction control and not the PDCC. The cars I drove without PDCC had less body roll but I think the understeer is dialed in by the PTM.
I haven't turned the traction control off to experiment yet though.
I too traded up from a 987 and it kicked out much more frequently and predictably. 😃
Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Drivers at the Porsche Driving School said not to worry about the 4200 RPM limit during wear-in. Porsche techs told them that the cars were made to be driven hard and to go ahead and do so. The bigger danger is to run them at constant speed until they are worn in. Go figure! I guess that myth, misinformation and contradiction are part of the Porsche mystique. At 1400 miles on the clock, I'm probably pretty safe at taking the occasional run to red line, though I'll leave sustained high revs till the 2k are up.
Sorry, meant to say "instructors" not "drivers"

Quick Reply: some impressions