Sponsored by:

Jeremy Clarkson likes the GTS…well almost

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scatkins
Agree with you.. Top gear is probably one of my favorite show's to watch for the entertainment value. But His opinions and tastes I find are almost opposite of mine. He seems to love mostly Merc's and Jags. Hammond and May just sort of roll their eyes when he goes off on almost anything porsche.. Although he did seem to have a woodie about the new Caymen on a recent show because the engine was in the right place lol.
Fantastic show tonight.... James May Reviewed the AMG GT.... thumbs up... referred to it as a much more grown up AMG although he did wax lyrical about some amazing tech which actively manages the engine mounts to improve handling(!). Clarkson drove the BMW i8... thumbs up as a car but returned only 31mpg over a 400 mile trip... hmmm... pretty much what my gloriously pure 2.5x capacity engine achieves... He also tested the new M3 with its smaller FI engine (sound familiar?)... And reports it better than the last... It is possible .... Hammond winched a Mk1 Land Rover defender up a dam... Scary but fun.

One of the better shows of the season so far... Albeit number 3/10 !
Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
thoth105
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDK1965
Most of JC's "reviews" consist of him screaming about "power" while sliding the car sideways. I am a fan of the show, great entertainment, but his opinion carries no weight whatsoever. He seems to love every long-hooded, loud V8 that MB produces. Enough said.
This exactly. So many of those AMG cars were absolute garbage to drive. Too much power, bad hard suspensions etc. Jeremy is fun to watch, but he's essentially just a hoon who can drive a little bit. I actually quite respect cap'n Slow's opinion on cars. And both he and Hammond have and love 911's. You'd think an iconoclast like jC would like a physical impossibility like a car with 400hp 8 feet behind the rear wheels beating other more expensive cars. I think it's more about Hammond and May than the 911. I haven't driven a 991 yet, but the 964, 993, and 997 (owned) I have driven have been emotional and fabulous (and cayman gts and new Boxster S).
Funny thing too - the guy in my neighborhood with a 458 and the other with the Lamborghini galliardo are both bougie poseurs - not car guys at all. The 3 Porsche guys are absolutely car guys - we go drive karts for fun! PCA! I haven't seen an FCA autocross anywhere (there are plenty of fezzas in North Texas). So, there's that.
In short, jeremy is, as they say on top gear, a **** (this is British, thus not a curse word).
Old 02-15-2015, 07:08 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Fantastic show tonight.... James May Reviewed the AMG GT.... thumbs up... referred to it as a much more grown up AMG although he did wax lyrical about some amazing tech which actively manages the engine mounts to improve handling(!). Clarkson drove the BMW i8... thumbs up as a car but returned only 31mpg over a 400 mile trip... hmmm... pretty much what my gloriously pure 2.5x capacity engine achieves... He also tested the new M3 with its smaller FI engine (sound familiar?)... And reports it better than the last... It is possible .... Hammond winched a Mk1 Land Rover defender up a dam... Scary but fun.

One of the better shows of the season so far... Albeit number 3/10 !
Actually it is 4/10... But who is counting ( me )...😃

I'm downloading it now. Can't wait!!!

Best show on TV, bar none...and anyone who doesn't find it hilarious, I'll get them a sense of humor for Chrstmas...

It's not a news show, it PURELY entertainment.

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Actually it is 4/10... But who is counting ( me )...dde03 I'm downloading it now. Can't wait!!! Best show on TV, bar none...and anyone who doesn't find it hilarious, I'll get them a sense of humor for Chrstmas... It's not a news show, it PURELY entertainment. Enjoy!
Oops...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:48 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grunty
To be fair, he refers to himself as a fool. I don't think he takes himself seriously. Also, he is not a professional driver, he's a television host. I suspect, however, that he has more track time in fast and slow cars than the vast majority of renn listers. Hating on his driving skills is silly when what he's all about is talking while driving (sideways).
That being said, I am not a giant fan but do appreciate what he does most of the time.
He is very entertaining and is not afraid to express his opinion, which is very good. I don't much care if he does not love the 991 GTS or any other 911 variant. They are not for everyone. I will say that his review of the then new Audi RS4 in '07 convinced me to get one and it was worth it even with its now obvious shortcomings. Turned it in in less than a year though. My recollection is that he loved the Ford GT, so will probably go gaga over the new version. He was also forthright about the Bentley GT. I recently tested a GTC Speed and it was a ponderous, numb experience. Anyway, JC is pure entertainment for me when I happen upon one of TG's episodes.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:25 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Back then the 911 was a pig. It would understeer when you turned into a corner, and as I didn’t really know what I was doing, I’d take my foot off the accelerator as quickly as possible, which would then cause the car to start oversteering. Which meant I had to undo my seatbelt and cower in the back until it hit something and stopped. "

Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Oh boy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-producer.html
Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Oh dear ... the end of TG as we know it ...
Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Good grief. He's such an idiot. It bugs me that I really can't watch Top Gear with my kids because Clarkson is likely to something sexist, homophobic, or racist. The whole "Jennifer" thing of recent episodes is really annoying. My daughter is 9 and she's more likely to want to ride our dirt bikes than her three older brothers *and* my wife loves the 911 (and is probably a better driver than me).

There's got to be a long list of people who could replace him.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FergusH
Good grief. He's such an idiot. It bugs me that I really can't watch Top Gear with my kids because Clarkson is likely to something sexist, homophobic, or racist. The whole "Jennifer" thing of recent episodes is really annoying. My daughter is 9 and she's more likely to want to ride our dirt bikes than her three older brothers *and* my wife loves the 911 (and is probably a better driver than me).

I respectfully disagree, just look at the other TG franchises and competitors and their relative success or monumental lack thereof... what's unique is the chemistry between the three of them ... I actually thought the "Jennifer" thing was pretty funny ... part of the charm of the show is the lack of political correctness .... YMMV
Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I respectfully disagree, just look at the other TG franchises and competitors and their relative success or monumental lack thereof... what's unique is the chemistry between the three of them ... I actually thought the "Jennifer" thing was pretty funny ... part of the charm of the show is the lack of political correctness .... YMMV
+1 here
Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
+1 here
its all about 3 middle aged blokes/grumpy old men that love cars having a bloody good time ... personally I was secretly hoping that the 918 would beat
the P1 and LaLaFerarri around the track to see how Jezza would get out of being Jezzabel!

R.I.P TG...

slightly off topic, does anyone else hate the fact that the guy on Motorweek always talks like he was answering 1-800-777Film?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FergusH

Absolute rubbish -- get a sense of humor!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
Absolute rubbish -- get a sense of humor!!
I just watched that Africa episode, where that log dragging on back of his car smashed out the back car window. I was cracking up!!

It's great entertainment, something that's hard to find on TV these days.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
charliec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarkson is nothing but an arrogant ahole who should be driving an AMC Pacer. It is big enough for his fat head.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson likes the GTS…well almost