Are Ceramic brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
FIFY, Larry.
I'm writing to the secretary general of the UN ... that's an act of war!!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm writing to the secretary general of the UN ... that's an act of war!!!!
That's what the N. Koreans told Sony.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

That's what the N. Koreans told Sony.
yup ... whats good for N. K & Sony is good enought for me!

its war! and my yellow calipers will kick your red calipers ***!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its war! and my yellow calipers will kick your red calipers ***!

my mom's prettier than your mom!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Need to leaf blower after washing. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
The only thing I use leaf blowers for are the leaves in the yard. Using it on your car is like brushing your teeth with a broom. : )

My car blower:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Fo...B-3CD/overview
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by STG991
I'm talking to Santa about one of those. Stupid question; what does it take to have a 20 amp outlet vs a 15 amp? Someone said in another post that this unit runs better on a 20 with an extension cord. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
David, thanks again for pointing the board to this short piece in Pano. Sure enough, when I returned from my travels late last night, the issue was in my huge pile of mail. I read the article before unpacking. I must say, it did not make me feel better about switching my order to PCCBs.

Thanks, Chuck. I think your analysis is fair. I've really been torn on this issue. My heart says PCCBs. My head says (already quite excellent) standard brakes. I wish there were some hard data available for the generation 3 PCCBs versus cast-irons. All of the data are soft and subjective -- "PCCBs are the cat's meow" v. "You are a marketing guppy if you buy these." Helpful but not like performance test data would be.
For me, having wheels that are pristine all of the time is worth it. Before the PCCBs, my wheels always looked dirty like *one drive* after a wash.

Also yellow, red or whatever, I like the look of the PCCBs because the disks are bigger. They just fill out a 20" rim better at least on a turbo: 410mm front, 390mm back (instead of 380mm for front/back for the iron rotors). That doesn't sound like much, but it amounts to the PCCB disks having a 16% larger area on the fronts.
[Note that on the S/4S, standard-to-PCCB diameters are 340/330mm vs. 350/350mm, so the area difference isn't as pronounced there, but still amounts to 13% on the rears]

I don't track this car, so it's also really nice just not worrying about the brakes wearing out... like ever

The fact they perform better is gravy :-)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm talking to Santa about one of those. Stupid question; what does it take to have a 20 amp outlet vs a 15 amp? Someone said in another post that this unit runs better on a 20 with an extension cord. Thanks.
I just use the regular outlet. This thing has more power than you need. Has two blowers. I usually only use one. The second one is a heater too.

Good for focused trim pieces and general water sheeting across panels. When I drive my car, there are zero drip marks most of the time.

Money well spent.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:27 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnm
If you get the ceramics brakes do you get the center-lock wheels automatically? Most owners I have talked to don't like the center-locks
No, they're separate.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveChapin
For me, having wheels that are pristine all of the time is worth it. Before the PCCBs, my wheels always looked dirty like *one drive* after a wash.

Also yellow, red or whatever, I like the look of the PCCBs because the disks are bigger. They just fill out a 20" rim better at least on a turbo: 410mm front, 390mm back (instead of 380mm for front/back for the iron rotors). That doesn't sound like much, but it amounts to the PCCB disks having a 16% larger area on the fronts.
[Note that on the S/4S, standard-to-PCCB diameters are 340/330mm vs. 350/350mm, so the area difference isn't as pronounced there, but still amounts to 13% on the rears]

I don't track this car, so it's also really nice just not worrying about the brakes wearing out... like ever

Well, different strokes for different folks. For me, performance is the #1 issue. And I'm still not clear as to how much of a performance difference there is (perhaps it is considerable, I have no way of knowing). That is why I wish some hard performance data were made available.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Wrong on so many levels.... My life is vacuum and whilst it's true that in high and ultra high vacuum (molecular flow) the radiated heat through emissivity is the only cooling media (assuming no embedded cooling) ... It is NOT true for higher pressures and the emissivity pales into insignificance against convection cooling (even in rough and medium vacuum above molecular flow)...
Let's take another example... household radiators.... Yes they would be marginally more efficient if they were matt black... But so marginal that the vast majority are still sold and retained as gloss white... Go figure!
I think we may only be arguing about the scale of the improvement that matt/flat black will provide. I can't quantify how much better black will act, but I can give you another anecdote illustrating my point.

Remember those old hand-held incandescent trouble lights...the ones with the stamped-steel-and-flash-plated guard/reflectors? Well, I had one of those for years. I'm not sure what material the plating was, but it had the appearance of matt aluminum...a kind of light grey color. I hated that light because I was constantly burning myself on the outside of that reflector. One day, a friend happened to be there when I earned myself a new welt from the light. He grabbed a spray bomb of flat black header paint off of the shelf and shot a thin coat of it on the outside of the guard/reflector...and I never burned myself on that light again. The guard/reflector had gone from scalding hot to merely quite warm. What could possibly have changed so much? The only change was that my friend had increased the emissivity of the outer surface by turning it flat black instead of a matt light grey. The guard/reflector was no longer retaining anywhere near the amount of heat that it had been because the outer surface was emitting so much more efficiently...in spite of the fact that there was a 1 bar atmosphere present in my garage the whole time, and in spite of the fact that there was no change in the airflow around the guard/reflector. That experience really brought home the effect to me. The sudden absence of physical pain and damage will tend do that for you...

A 20 amp outlet and breaker are only a few bucks at Home Depot. The hard part is that the wiring in the circuit needs to be upgraded from #14 to #12...that is, if it's going to be up to code.

Last edited by 1analguy; 12-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess there wasn't much airflow in that garage... There's a pretty storm around the callipers....
Ok... Technically that's conduction
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

my mom's prettier than your mom!
Oh yeah? Well your kid is so ugly, they make him wear a mask to hide his face!
Old 12-03-2014, 02:53 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeez...I'm really sorry for contributing to dragging this thread kind of off topic. The OP just wants to know whether or not PCCBs are "worth having". To me, no. But my reality may have little or nothing to do with his reality. He may be fortunate/flush enough that the initial cash outlay for PCCbs doesn't matter. The 20" wheels on the 991 make the perfectly adequate iron brakes look too small/cheap to him. His solution would be the larger, "better-looking", lighter PCCB setup. My solution would be smaller, lighter/better-performing wheels instead, but I'm resource-limited. So, I say if you're "bucks up" then go for the PCCBs. Just be very careful who you let work on your wheels...
Old 12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by DaveChapin

i suppose that the lack of brake dust is a plus, but the TTS CL's and PCCB's are just nice to have on such an amazing piece of engineering and design as the TTS. I respect those who favor five lugs and iron rotors and understand their preference, but having just changed my summer TTS wheels/tires for a winter set, I can say that dismounting and mounting CL's is not all that difficult. I will do a few non-competitive track events a season and will monitor the condition of the PCCB's very closely, for if they start to show much deterioration I'll back off and may just get a Cayman S or GTS for the track, with which I can get much closer to the limit anyway.

Quick Reply: Are Ceramic brakes worth it?