Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991 coilover conversion kit...

Hey, just saw this...has anyone done?
http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...et-program.htm
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

That's an extensive modification. Probably a bit to much for most on here.

Does anyone have a ride height comparison.... stock & sport package compared to the GT3?

I'm already scrapping my little nose having the sport suspension and aero kit.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
That's an extensive modification. Probably a bit to much for most on here.

Does anyone have a ride height comparison.... stock & sport package compared to the GT3?

I'm already scrapping my little nose having the sport suspension and aero kit.
I lost interest when the angle grinder appeared!

Some lowering springs, maybe Bilstein PSS10 and a TPC-Racing DSC...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Without revalving the shocks it will always be a compromised solution, like putting lowering springs on a stock car. It's going to be fine most of the time but folks who have the mind to do this are probably going to track it. The designed stroke won't be matched. If you want to keep pasm ability it probably won't be a long wait until Bilstein and KW have a solution otherwise going with a thoroughly thought out spring rate change over a better shock like moton, Ohlins, Penske etc will always be better performance wise.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see the interest in our program. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Most of the discussion so far relates to the coilover spring aspect of the program. Our Street and Track Suspension program is much more than springs, but I will talk a bit about the coilover component.

The sleeve conversion used in this program slots in between lowering springs and full coilovers in terms of both functionality and cost.

Regular lowering springs can firm up the suspension and lower the height, but they are very limited. The spring rates and final height are fixed and there is no provision for corner balancing. You get what you get. Pricing is relatively low so these are a attractive to some.

Full coilovers deliver adjustable ride height and typically they have single or double adjustable damping. Spring rates are typically set by the manufacturer but the standardized springs used can be swapped out. These can offer the best levels of performance. However the complexity of setting up adjustable shocks (especially double and triple adjustable!) can be daunting. Price is relatively high, and in most cases you will lose PASM. These are going to appeal to serious track cars.

Our coilovers sleeve conversion fit in between. It offers fully adjustable ride height, ability to corner balance, and access to a range of standardized spring rates. PASM functionality is retained. Pricing is between lowering springs and full coilovers. This is a good choice for many who want more adjustability and options than simple lowering springs can deliver.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
Glad to see the interest in our program. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Most of the discussion so far relates to the coilover spring aspect of the program. Our Street and Track Suspension program is much more than springs, but I will talk a bit about the coilover component.

The sleeve conversion used in this program slots in between lowering springs and full coilovers in terms of both functionality and cost.

Regular lowering springs can firm up the suspension and lower the height, but they are very limited. The spring rates and final height are fixed and there is no provision for corner balancing. You get what you get. Pricing is relatively low so these are a attractive to some.

Full coilovers deliver adjustable ride height and typically they have single or double adjustable damping. Spring rates are typically set by the manufacturer but the standardized springs used can be swapped out. These can offer the best levels of performance. However the complexity of setting up adjustable shocks (especially double and triple adjustable!) can be daunting. Price is relatively high, and in most cases you will lose PASM. These are going to appeal to serious track cars.

Our coilovers sleeve conversion fit in between. It offers fully adjustable ride height, ability to corner balance, and access to a range of standardized spring rates. PASM functionality is retained. Pricing is between lowering springs and full coilovers. This is a good choice for many who want more adjustability and options than simple lowering springs can deliver.
Ive basically avoided such systems for this very reason, I doubt that many, if any drivers (or mechanics) without significant racing experience have the technical ability/knowledge to adjust such systems appropriately.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

You're being too kind. Nobody without extensive racing experience can do this. Its how you learn, by trial and error.

The nicest things about this kit, it saves PASM, and it includes firmer bushings/monoballs. Nobody outside racing gets the importance of doing the bushings. At least you never hear them talking about it. But when the going gets tough under hard braking and cornering this is what maintains those hard-earned suspension settings. This is where the feeling of precision and feedback comes from. A car with these, someone so inclined could claim it fills the gap between the S and GT3. Only in this case it would not be hyperbole.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I was mainly interested in the coilover part & since I have the SPASM, wanted to retain my existing shocks...
...think maybe this is a great way to go for me, as most of the regular lowering springs seem to only offer a 10mm difference & there's a lot of work to go thru for only that!
How much drop/adjustment do these offer, anyway?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

This whole kit is what, about $8000 or so?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The parts go about $7k.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:17 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Has anyone gone with this setup? Very informational ... Interested to hear of more real world feedback.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 AM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Has anyone gone with this setup? Very informational ... Interested to hear of more real world feedback.
I own the black car in the article (previous owner had the kit installed). I've tracked the car twice since owning it and I'm pretty happy with it. I do need an alignment as I don't think it's been aligned since the install and the suspension has settled a bit. There is more noise from the suspension from the helper springs, but otherwise it's comfortable on the street and has good feedback on the track. With that said, the car is way more capable than me as a driver so I'm probably not even near the limit of what it can do.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:29 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Without revalving the shocks it will always be a compromised solution, like putting lowering springs on a stock car. It's going to be fine most of the time but folks who have the mind to do this are probably going to track it. The designed stroke won't be matched. If you want to keep pasm ability it probably won't be a long wait until Bilstein and KW have a solution otherwise going with a thoroughly thought out spring rate change over a better shock like moton, Ohlins, Penske etc will always be better performance wise.
this...
Old 12-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drsubie
this...
Bilstein B16 Damptronics - about $27xx from Cargraphic in Germany
Old 12-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Tor Atle Lunde
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Nobody outside racing gets the importance of doing the bushings. At least you never hear them talking about it. But when the going gets tough under hard braking and cornering this is what maintains those hard-earned suspension settings. This is where the feeling of precision and feedback comes from.
Would monoballs give any improvement in feedback on normal spirited street driving?

Are there any maintenance issues?

Quick Reply: 991 coilover conversion kit...