Sponsored by:

The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP

I've read almost all threads dating back to 2012 on the PDK vs manual question.
Still I cannot decide. All my cars so far were manual, but now just out of curiosity I would like to try something different. I like the technical aspect of the PDK, I like how fast it is etc. Now I have an allocation for the GTS4 - will be a dd car- and have to finalize the transmission.
My main problem is, what to do with my left foot??!! When I testdrive a PDK car, instinctively I try to push something with my left foot (thin air) when I change gears. I do not like the car changing gears for me, so I would use the PDK in manual mode. (I got a PDK Panamera for two days when my RS was serviced and after a while just left it in auto mode since the switches on the steering were unintuitive.)
So here is my question to those who switched form a manual car to PDK; are you missing the manual? Is it as satisfying as the manual? Do you left foot brake? Do you keep it in manual mode or auto?
Thanks
Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a paddle shift in one of my cars. They're fun for sure. Auto mode can be handy if you want to be lazy and just cruise and let the car do everything, then pop it into manual mode when you want to have fun. And I entirely left foot brake in that case because my left foot has nothing else to do anyway. Dropping from 7th to second gear quickly and listening to the car automatically rev-match as you blast down through the gears is entertaining . So without a doubt there are good things about it.

That said, I still prefer a standard manual because it's just more engaging/involving to drive. You're much more a part of the process. The paddle shift will rev-match for you, but to me it's more fun to come up to a slow turn, heel/toe downshift, and go. Plus one advantage of a standard manual is that you don't have to bounce down sequentially through the gears...you can skip gears on the way down or on the way up (which I do all the time).

I don't think I'd ever want only paddle shift cars. But having one is a nice alternative if there are other cars I can drive with a standard manual.

No idea if that helps or not .
Old 11-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

No idea how long you keep your cars, but no one knows how long porsche is going to keep offering the manual. It might go the way of the do-do bird, like farer and lamb have done.

So if you plan on keeping this car for a while, this might be your last chance to get a manual.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:47 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Thanks, it does help. I am not planning to sell the 997.2RS so will have a manual P car in the garage. I need to drive more the PDK, maybe tomorrow. Would be nice to drive the manual 991 as well.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual all the way.
I'm looking for a preowned manual and these days they are very hard to comeby.
And this is going to get worse as time goes by.
Just go look at dealer inventory and they might have 1 or 2 manuals out of 30 911's.
I wouldn't be surprised if the manual transmission is discontinued in the next few years in the 911, making manual 911's in the future much more desirable and hold their value.
Just look at the prices of 997 GT3's. They are going up in price.
I'm not perfect with heel toing and it feels so good when I get it right.
Sports car=manual transmission.
Grand touring car=PDK
PDK dilutes the Porsche sports car experience in my opinion.
If you want a GT get a sports sedan.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Manual all the way.
I'm looking for a preowned manual and these days they are very hard to comeby.
And this is going to get worse as time goes by.
Just go look at dealer inventory and they might have 1 or 2 manuals out of 30 911's.
I wouldn't be surprised if the manual transmission is discontinued in the next few years in the 911, making manual 911's in the future much more desirable and hold their value.
Just look at the prices of 997 GT3's. They are going up in price.
I'm not perfect with heel toing and it feels so good when I get it right.
Sports car=manual transmission.
Grand touring car=PDK
PDK dilutes the Porsche sports car experience in my opinion.
If you want a GT get a sports sedan.
Thanks,
My current DD is a 09 M3 so will be 6 by the time the GTS is here. I do not have an actual plan when to change cars but will not "flip it" if I like it.
I need to drive this new 7-speed manual. Our dealer has no manual car right now.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
I've read almost all threads dating back to 2012 on the PDK vs manual question.
Still I cannot decide. All my cars so far were manual, but now just out of curiosity I would like to try something different. I like the technical aspect of the PDK, I like how fast it is etc. Now I have an allocation for the GTS4 - will be a dd car- and have to finalize the transmission.
My main problem is, what to do with my left foot??!! When I testdrive a PDK car, instinctively I try to push something with my left foot (thin air) when I change gears. I do not like the car changing gears for me, so I would use the PDK in manual mode. (I got a PDK Panamera for two days when my RS was serviced and after a while just left it in auto mode since the switches on the steering were unintuitive.)
So here is my question to those who switched form a manual car to PDK; are you missing the manual? Is it as satisfying as the manual? Do you left foot brake? Do you keep it in manual mode or auto?
Thanks
if you go with PDK on the GTS you will get the SD steering wheel which has proper paddles and not the non-intuitive buttons from the MF wheel

ultimately you will have to decide on the transmission - this *might* be one of the last opportunities to get one.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
Thanks, it does help. I am not planning to sell the 997.2RS so will have a manual P car in the garage. I need to drive more the PDK, maybe tomorrow. Would be nice to drive the manual 991 as well.
you need to do this, but if you have a 7.2 RS you have your manual fix, try the PDK on the GTS, that is what I am doing, since my GTS will be my DD and my wife will drive it also, and she cannot drive a manual.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It takes a while to get used to PDK but once you do it will become second nature, we have 6 cars in the household. 4 Auto, I manual & 1 PDK - I never have any problem jumping into one from the other and actually enjoy the variety.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Just like color I think it comes down to a personal choice with no real wrong pick. Once you accept the fact that you are buying a $140K+ car and that itself is already not a logical decision you can feel free to make other decisions based solely on what you like.

Here are my reasons for going with a CabS 7MT and in no way am I saying its a better choice than PDK but its better for me.
- manuals are cool and I always loved shifting going all the way back to racing video games in the 80's to real life cars I have had over the years
- I don't want to be to relaxed in a sports car and while I can shift on a PDK there are days where I would be tempted to put in auto mode
- its not my DD but even in horrible LA traffic I don't really mind shifting
- I have young boys and they would kill me if I got a PDK or non-manual
- I like the fact that a majority of people can't drive my car
-If I plan to own my car for 10 years (which I do) I know what to expect from a manual later on (repairs etc.)
- I probably won't get to track my car and if I do I'm not trying to impress anyone with my times
- I hate the fact that most cars are not offered in manual
- electric plug in hybrid technology is going to be on most future cars and its going to be almost impossible to offer manuals
Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll keep getting manuals as long as they're offered. As mentioned by others, this might be your last chance in a new 911.

PS. The 7MT is fine. Most of the negative stuff that floats around on these threads about it dates back to early press tests of the 991....almost universally people that have the transmission here like it.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you need to do this, but if you have a 7.2 RS you have your manual fix, try the PDK on the GTS, that is what I am doing, since my GTS will be my DD and my wife will drive it also, and she cannot drive a manual.
Pretty much what I was thinking, you could have both, which might be cool. But then I'm a hypocrite, because I'm looking at getting a GTS and I'm going to get it with a manual even though I've got a manual 4.0. I do believe the PDK could be a nice change of pace sometimes, though.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered a GTS with a manual gearbox.

My current car, a BMW has a DCT(my first, all my other cars have been manual). It is fast, responsive, and can shift a whole lot better than I can. The problem is, I hate it. I drive it manual mode and use the paddle shifters and I feel like it is such a chore. I then end up putting back in auto mode. I simply do not feel connected to the car. It is simply not fun (for me of course).

When I test drove the Porsche I tried both the PDK and the manual. Again the PDK was lightning quick. Driving in sport + the car will hold the gear until red line, and the throttle response is amazing. It really is a marvelous transmission. The problem was I found driving the manual SO much more fun. I thought I would hate the rev matching, but towards the end of the drive I actually starting enjoying it.

Anyway, these test drives happened before the announcement of the GTS, and the two cars I was considering was a C2S with X51 or a GT3. If GTS was not announced I would have still gone the C2S route, simply because I NEEDED a manual.

I know some people will think I'm crazy, but the transmission was the biggest factor is choosing the GTS over the GT3.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

There are times when you'll be sorry, regardless of which one you get. Only you can decide whether you will be more or less sorry with PDK or manual.

Next up on Rennlist: Should I date a blonde or a brunette?
Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
I just ordered a GTS with a manual gearbox.

I know some people will think I'm crazy, but the transmission was the biggest factor is choosing the GTS over the GT3.
+1

I don't think you're crazy. I chose the GTS over the TurboS because of the availability of the MT.

Some people on this board will be different, but I believe that most people who go from an MT to a PDK (or similar) think that when they feel like it, they'll just shift for themselves. After a few days, almost everyone forgets to shift and they leave it in Auto mode. Nice. Fast. But simply not as engaging.

Quick Reply: The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP