Sponsored by:

New 991 GTS video by the Getawayer

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 991 GTS video by the Getawayer

Here's a new video for 991 GTS by my favorite car reviewer, the Getawayer. Some of you may already have seen it, though.

Happy halloween! Now I need to choose my costume for the party.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Neos281
Track Day

Nope, haven't seen this yet. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 PM
coxswain
Racer

This presentation by the Porsche employees one after another: this method of presentation reminds me of Apple's presentation of their new Mac products. I guess it's effective.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Great video, thanks for sharing. Nice to see some real world video of the GTS even if it is in the guise of marketing material.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I think the GTS is really awesome.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Just wondering if the steering feel is closer to GT3 rather than S.
Perfect car, wow :-)
Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Watching this video I have to say, they've gone and made another terrific variant. Yeah it still irks hearing them talk about it being "precisely" between the S and GT3 (when its really just a 50 with different trim) and bugs me even more when they act like the X51 is some new engine they developed just for the GTS. But for all that, when you stand back and look at the whole package, design, value, its right up there with anything they've ever done. Haven't done the math, but I bet if someone did it would turn out all the little goodies add up to a lot better deal than the last GTS, which itself was a pretty good deal. The more I see the better it looks. Now for the driving impressions....
Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just wondering if the steering feel is closer to GT3 rather than S.
Perfect car, wow :-)
Kind of a long (but well worth the time) interview, where at some point one of them mentions talking with a Porsche engineer about the new steering. There's already the Chris Harris review of the GT3 in which he is clear that car feels the way it does almost entirely thanks to software. Now in this one they say there are so many tunable variables they have barely even learned how to use them. Its almost for certain they made some changes from the initial 2wd Carreras to the 4wd versions. Probably they'll do similar with the GTS. With the old systems the only way to tune out unwanted road vibrations was to dampen, which meant losing precision. Now they can keep all the precision. The challenge is tuning out the vibrations that cause fatigue while keeping the kind of feel drivers crave. There's also a really nice description of how with the earlier 911's you could practically feel how fast you're going just through the steering wheel. Its true. You can.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I find it ironic that, if I were ordering a GTS, I would want to eliminate or replace most of the items they mentioned as design elements specific to the GTS. Specific items that would have to go would be... the black wheels, alcantara on the seats, dash and doors, GTS logo on head rests, black aluminum interior trim pieces, and black grills on the back. Unfortunately, it would be cost prohibitive to eliminate the black lights.

I guess I don't understand Posche's infatuation with black. Black wheels have been so over-done.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow. Great find! That is a good ad from the folks that made the car. This may be the one for me....
Jim
Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I find it ironic that, if I were ordering a GTS, I would want to eliminate or replace most of the items they mentioned as design elements specific to the GTS. Specific items that would have to go would be... the black wheels, alcantara on the seats, dash and doors, GTS logo on head rests, black aluminum interior trim pieces, and black grills on the back. Unfortunately, it would be cost prohibitive to eliminate the black lights. I guess I don't understand Posche's infatuation with black. Black wheels have been so over-done.
I've ordered a GTS but am no fan boy. To me it's just a great options package. But most of what you object to can replaced for zero cost (or for less than on a regular 911). the only thing that can't be changed out is the black engine cover.

Last edited by hinckley; 11-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Shocked at how little those two gentlemen from CCC Manhattan seem to know about cars, or at least this GT3. Holy layman comments. They don't even know Andreas Preuninger by name. Non car guys as car guys? Makes the club look like a joke. Despite what they provide access to.

Last edited by Ceepe; 11-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Top quality marketing & presentation!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I find it ironic that, if I were ordering a GTS, I would want to eliminate or replace most of the items they mentioned as design elements specific to the GTS. Specific items that would have to go would be... the black wheels, alcantara on the seats, dash and doors, GTS logo on head rests, black aluminum interior trim pieces, and black grills on the back. Unfortunately, it would be cost prohibitive to eliminate the black lights. I guess I don't understand Posche's infatuation with black. Black wheels have been so over-done.
+1

Btw, not really a new video by the Getawayer, but never seen nonetheless. Good find!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I've ordered a GTS but am no fan boy. To me it's just a great options package. But most of what you object to can replaced for zero cost (or for less than on a regular 911). the only thing that can't be changed out is the black engine cover.
I saw your order specs and I think your car will look good. It is a good thing that you had already worked up your specs before you got "the call" from your dealer. Sometimes a plan comes together even with a major change in the timing.

I agree that most of the interior black junk can be replaced at no cost, while some will cost a few $$.

Actually, the black engine cover goes away if you order the duck tail, which is $2,000, but would be worth it to me. Since I would want a rear wheel drive car, I would have to get the thin grill that stretches between the tail lights repainted in the body color. The 4S versions get the reflector strip between the tail lights.

Quick Reply: New 991 GTS video by the Getawayer