New 991 GTS video by the Getawayer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Larry,

I think it would be a direct repalcement since all GTS models are wide bodies.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sort of meh video. A lot of marketing going on there, which is to be expected. At the end of the day it is the 50th with different trim. I really don't see how the gts is the ideal middle ground between the 911s and the gt3. It's much more 911s than gt3. It does look quite nice with the black bits.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunty
Sort of meh video. A lot of marketing going on there, which is to be expected. At the end of the day it is the 50th with different trim. I really don't see how the gts is the ideal middle ground between the 911s and the gt3. It's much more 911s than gt3. It does look quite nice with the black bits.
its all marketing, and honestly, I don't see how they would engineer a Carerra to be closer to a GT3 without diluting/cannibalizing the GT3... so its the ideal "middle ground" that Porsche product marketing wants...

Ask yourself this, what would your "not a GT3, but somewhere in between a GT3 and a 991 S" car consist of ... remember you have $31,500 MSRP difference to play with, $4080 less if you add PDK to the S MSR "as std", another $17,800 if you add the X51 powerkit as std also, so now you only have about $10k delta ...

just sayin...
Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

That video is almost identical to the one produced for the 997 GTS. I have one and it is a great car. I think anyone thinking about a 991 GTS will be pleased.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That video is almost identical to the one produced for the 997 GTS. I have one and it is a great car. I think anyone thinking about a 991 GTS will be pleased.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

god porsche is just such blatant bull**** lately. This fluffy crap is so transparent its ridiculous. 19 freaking models? really?

ohhhh, we optimized this that or the other thing. Well jackwagons, why didn't you do it right in the first place.

I get that they are taking a powerpack carrera S, adding some looks stuff, and a few other things, and calling it a GTS. Just say that and cut all the marketing fluff crap.

ugh, what a joke this company has become.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
god porsche is just such blatant bull**** lately. This fluffy crap is so transparent its ridiculous. 19 freaking models? really?

ohhhh, we optimized this that or the other thing. Well jackwagons, why didn't you do it right in the first place.

I get that they are taking a powerpack carrera S, adding some looks stuff, and a few other things, and calling it a GTS. Just say that and cut all the marketing fluff crap.

ugh, what a joke this company has become.
you missed this particular party already...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 AM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another cool ad featuring 991 GTS. It seems that Carmine Red is a great color for this car.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Personally I think it's a great option to have. The GTS.

Why would having so many Porsche 911 variant choices be a bad thing? Wouldn't it suck to only have 3 flavors to choose from if you showed up to Baskin Robbins?

As long as Porsche is making money selling all of these different models we will have Porsches to buy.

I beleive if a guy likes the value pricing of the GTS but doesn't want all the different bits, they are better off getting a stripped S and add a powerkit and get a set of Flowform wheels in black.

I'm just bummed I don't see more Targa's out there.

Chuck, about the steering in the GTS and the GT3 being software. This is what I was attempting to explain to the board a few months ago but no one got it. There were rear steering jokes and the same.

For the engineers in the group. What is the equation for calculating power to weight gain again? For example, if a guy weighs 160 lbs., buys a Carrera S with PDK and strips the entire interior, contents of the frunk etc., at what point do you have an advantage over the guy that weighs 220, buys a GTS, loaded with all the goodies?? Not that someone would want to drive their car around like that but for the track rat looking to spend the least amount of money on a 400hp "S" at the weight savings would you be faster than the heavy guy with the powerkit?

Just throwing a few ideas around for fun because that's why we're here!

And for the record, I'd need to lose another 17 lbs. to be "that' 160 lb. guy. I may get there though.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:33 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
At the end of the day it is the 50th with different trim. I really don't see how the gts is the ideal middle ground between the 911s and the gt3. It's much more 911s than gt3.
What I been sayin'.

The Porsche video above could hardly be more explicit: its all about appearance, acronyms, and hype. Yes the GTS is really just a 50 with different trim. But the 50 trim is so, you know, 50's. The GTS trim is way cooler. Plus GTS is a way better acronym than 50, which when you think about it isn't even an acronym. Its a number! How you gonna hype a number?! Not to mention... "registry"? Sounds kinda clerical. Nowhere near as hype-able as "community". But wait! Already its grown into a whole "culture"! Its growing so fast I... I .... I have been assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

Quick Reply: New 991 GTS video by the Getawayer