After 4 months in the M4 I have decided to return to the 991 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Touring and comfort

Originally Posted by nmurray22
I was always happy with the 911 as a daily driver, in fact I drove it nearly every day sun or snow, I don't drive the M4 every day even though it is more comfortable because it is just not as much fun. It is still true that the BMW is better for longer trips but I don't do long trips every day.
The 18 way ventilated seats are very supportive and comfortable for long drives in my experience even with PDCC on in the TTS. I did not expect such comfort, which is the biggest, pleasant surprise after over 4500 miles since mid-July in my '15 TTS. There are many other superlatives of which you are well aware. The Burmester is excellent, but the car's other sounds tend to overpower it at a normal volume setting. Connection to the road can be very subjective and the GT3 is surely more communicative, but I believe that any 991 conveys the road's message as well as all but dedicated track cars.

As to CL's, to each his own, although it is unclear to me why the overwhelming sentiment about them on the forums is unfavorable. If you have not driven a 991 Turbo or TTS you definitely should before ordering.

Congratulations on your decision for Euro delivery and for returning to Porsche.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM
MrBlackstone
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you made the right choice. Not a big fan of the M anymore. The brand has been totally butchered and watered down.

There should only be two M's - the M3 and the M5. Now we got the M1, M3, M4, M6, etc... I can't keep track.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
This to me is the best part of the story. Anyone hearing even bits here and there would think Porsche builds overpriced pieces of crap. In fact a brief check of YouTube comments shows people saying pretty much exactly that. But anyone following closely would also have heard Nick talking about how he still enjoys it even with all the problems. And now after just 4 months he's buying another one. What seems at first glance to be all negative turns out in the end to be maybe one of the strongest testaments to the 911 around.
To me it's all about the driving experience. Porsches be they a 981 or any 911 iteration offer a unique driving experience which is not replicated by other models, at least not the ones that I've driven. I have friends who've driven my 911s over the years, and they don't perceive the unique handling offered by 911s. They place a big value on sheer power, and hence they gravitate to cars like the Corvette. So to this group, I can see where they would believe that Porsches are overpriced.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:29 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
To me it's all about the driving experience. Porsches be they a 981 or any 911 iteration offer a unique driving experience which is not replicated by other models, at least not the ones that I've driven. I have friends who've driven my 911s over the years, and they don't perceive the unique handling offered by 911s. They place a big value on sheer power, and hence they gravitate to cars like the Corvette. So to this group, I can see where they would believe that Porsches are overpriced.
Agreed.

I don't buy cars based on performance data or a spec sheet. It's more important to me that the car is fun to drive, handles and brakes well than 0-60 or track times. I'm not being paid to win races and even when I take the car to the track I want to have fun, not set a new world record. The Porsche definitely has something intangible that makes it more enjoyable than most other cars
Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Absolutely. There are those who never have and never will perceive the difference. There are also those who never had any idea the difference was there at all… until they drove a Porsche. I had some friends just like this, actually picked a Boxster over a bimmer based on cup holders. Hammer911, his wife fell for the Macan, same thing. Being a car nut, even being a Porsche owner, is just not enough. You can never be sure who is going to "get it" and who is going to think its just another car. That's what's so cool about Nick coming back to Porsche. Dramatically raises the odds that he gets it, and tells the world that whatever "it" is, the 911 has it in spades!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:26 PM
NCThirteen
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Like your videos, although you had bad luck with your 911, it did inspire me to pick up a used Cayman.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM
pap2828
Racer

Hi Nick,

I loved your videos on the 911 and was very sad when you had issues and eventually got rid!

You always seemed happy in the Porsche regardless and when I saw you in the BMW you looked WRONG and it seemed you were trying unsuccessfully to be happy with it....welcome back!!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by hinckley
Nick, I had a Sakhir M5 6MT sandwiched between two 911s for 14 months. Same as you - my M was an incredibly beautiful car that was simply not as special as the Porsche to drive. And that's really the testament to Porsche. I love BMWs and have driven them on and off since the mid-80s. But if you're a driver and want to drive everyday, Porsche has just nailed it. I have no desire to drive a Lambo or a Ferrarri. No one else gets it like Porsche gets it. Good luck with choosing your next 911.
+1
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Absolutely. There are those who never have and never will perceive the difference. There are also those who never had any idea the difference was there at all… until they drove a Porsche. I had some friends just like this, actually picked a Boxster over a bimmer based on cup holders. Hammer911, his wife fell for the Macan, same thing. Being a car nut, even being a Porsche owner, is just not enough. You can never be sure who is going to "get it" and who is going to think its just another car. That's what's so cool about Nick coming back to Porsche. Dramatically raises the odds that he gets it, and tells the world that whatever "it" is, the 911 has it in spades!
Not sure why anyone should care if he comes back. The 911 S and m4 have similar power levels. The 911 is ahead in all categories compared to an m4. And it should be given it is almost twice the price.

What is surprising about this? He tried the m4 because he had a bad experience. If you had a ferrari that broke, then got a civic, you'd go back to the ferrari too regardless of the experience.

It's psych 101. When you experience something better, you basically are then screwed and have to have it again because your accustomed to it. If he drove a new zo6 (when they come out) and then choose a 911, that would be different. Then you could say he gets it (again not that it matters).

The fact is, the "it" your referring to is just everything that porsche offers. From the superior chasis construction, to ride, to noise, to build quality. Really under 200k nothing comes close to it. Simple as that. Most of the haters........hate because they can't afford it plain and simple. It's easier to hate what you can't have rather than love.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:04 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

I thought you guys might be interested to see my latest video on the M4, in which I have decided to return to a 911 because I am just not loving it as much as I hoped. The M4 is an amazing car in many ways but just not special like the 991 911 was to me. Despite all the problems I had with my 911 I still wanted to drive it every day, sun, snow or storm and in the end if we have this much money tied up in a car then that is the way we should feel about them. Driving my 911 was special and I just don't feel the same way about the BMW. I will be waiting for the 991.2 to be released and plan to do a Euro delivery with videos covering the whole process. As to which 911 I plan to get I am still undecided but most likely a well optioned C2S like last time or a light optioned Turbo. Below is the M4 update video and below that is a video on a 356 I took a week or so back for those interested. Lastly the full review video on the M4 for anyone that missed it. Looking forward to being back in the fold. All the best my friends. Nick Video Link: http://youtu.be/AdTujx4H-x8?list=UUdSlBNDX97hIeOxWVacg9FQ Video Link: http://youtu.be/MuHnPpcjnqc?list=PLLaohamb74-ab03VbkSgTryhSQdouo-Yl Video Link: http://youtu.be/KAn8Lcaj0zQ?list=PLLaohamb74-Zo91uKIUEfPvNmTtUm7k1T
Hi Nick, I came across your 6 month ownership video on the 911 when I was researching what car to get next and also the unfortunate issue you experienced. Your video helped me put an order on a MY15 C2S. Also test drove the M4 as well around the same time you picked up yours. Not to take anything away from the M4 but the 911 just felt so right.

I wanted to ask you. When you pick up your 991.2 are you looking to lease or buy? Reason I ask is just like yourself I've had 3 different cars in the last 18 months and leaning towards leasing for this reason.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
But frankly, the East German car fits better the Zeitgeist of the People's Republic of California today and I want to be, as always, politically correct!
Originally Posted by VIC_50th
... I'm not sure you are correct, Eduardo - the 2 stroke would not go over so well, me thinks.
Martin:

You got to come down to experience our new California. Sure, the extra pollution of the 2 stroke is a minus. But we'll just put a nice battery pack from Elon Musk and convert away from lubrication by a premixed fuel-oil mixture! On the plus side, the Trabant has the nostalgia of the German Democratic Republic, the Stasi & strong women on anabolic steroids! Just look at faces of California's most famous female politicians today!

Never underestimate the appeal of the old East German state on the West Coast...it's powerful stuff!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 AM
0-60Motorsports
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Turbo
Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

The GTS is a very attractive package because lets face it you get the power kit pretty much for free as well as a few other toys we all want. However I don't want the CL wheels and I don't want the Aero front end. I know a lot of people love that look but not for me, I like the standard front end and for that reason I think the GTS is out for me.
Turbo. Trust me.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick continued to state he loved driving his 991 to the bitter end . . . he just could not continue to live with that particualar 991 which had such a number of glitches some of which could not be satisfactorily corrected.
The Lemon laws strictly set forth how many times a manufacturer can attempt repairs and when the total time off the road reaches a set number of days the manufacturer must take the vehicle back. They have lost their opportunity to continue to remedy faults on that particular vehicle when it hits a set number of problems or total time off the road.
Finally someone else who does not like the "busy" aerokit front end
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes and that is probably the most frustrating thing about the GTS. Bad enough they tarnish a perfectly good reputation (GTS comes from the 904 GTS that won the 1964 Targa Florio outright http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_904 ) with a "model" that's really just an options package. But then they double down on the damage by forcing people (like Nick) who don't care for the boy racer look to take it or leave it. If they're going to make a "model" that's really just a bunch of options, why not let us choose which options?

Quick Reply: After 4 months in the M4 I have decided to return to the 991 911