Sponsored by:

Porsche's U.S. Patent for 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I'm not against the technology, I just don't think it's ready yet. One day probably not that far in the future we'll be able to add substantial front wheel power with little added weight in motors or battery. When that day comes, every Carrera will be a Turbo4
You're probably right. I could see them going with a turbo flat 4 to the rear wheels and electric motor to the fronts. Soon every 911 will be 4 wheel drive
Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
GT3, GT4, whatever it takes!
GT4 is already taken by the 981 Cayman.

This would be a new class... GT5! Let's do it.

Let's throw in a KERS system, as well, for good measure.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Being 19, I'm too young to think of the prospect of ever purchasing a 991 or 991.2/992(yay college), and if this is indeed the route the 911 will be taking, when I ever have the funds in the future to get a brand new P-car; I think I'd rather get a used 991-older.

That N/A sound is irreplaceable no matter how many mufflers and exhaust changes they will ever make, or how linear they could make the power delivery similar to an N/A. going from air-cooled to water-cooled was one thing, going FI throughout the entire lineup is just too much in my honest opinion; it seems more like revolution than evolution to me.

What I like about driving an N/A, and my dad's '74 specifically, is that I had to work to get the power, work to get the steering right, it was much more satisfying; now it's like everything is handed to us on the golden platter called forced induction; everything is just to darn easy!

I just hate the fact that by the time I can afford one, they'll all be turbocharged by then, and that makes me very sad.

On a side note, I wonder if this is why air-cooled cars are suddenly going up in price again..
Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
Being 19, I'm too young to think of the prospect of ever purchasing a 991 or 991.2/992(yay college), and if this is indeed the route the 911 will be taking, when I ever have the funds in the future to get a brand new P-car; I think I'd rather get a used 991-older.

That N/A sound is irreplaceable no matter how many mufflers and exhaust changes they will ever make, or how linear they could make the power delivery similar to an N/A. going from air-cooled to water-cooled was one thing, going FI throughout the entire lineup is just too much in my honest opinion; it seems more like revolution than evolution to me.

What I like about driving an N/A, and my dad's '74 specifically, is that I had to work to get the power, work to get the steering right, it was much more satisfying; now it's like everything is handed to us on the golden platter called forced induction; everything is just to darn easy!

I just hate the fact that by the time I can afford one, they'll all be turbocharged by then, and that makes me very sad.

On a side note, I wonder if this is why air-cooled cars are suddenly going up in price again..
It makes me very happy to know that there are young people like yourself in this world.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:25 AM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 19 year old with the old-guard Porsche driver's soul!
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
It makes me very happy to know that there are young people like yourself in this world.

Thank you sir. It just bothers me that even though most of my car enthusiast friends know and understand the joys of N/A cars and the work and effort it takes to getting a satisfying drive out of them, they welcome FI as the future with open arms and the technology(annoying driver's assists) that comes with it.

Maybe I'm too traditional, too old for my age and need to get on with the times, I was raised around older P-cars and spent my childhood up until now with them and learning more about them and such; I'm in the process of buying my first Porsche right now, an '84 944. Will it be as fast as new cars? Never, but that's alright, if I ever want to go as fast as I can afford right now, I have a Focus ST for that. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the 944 every time, it'd be much more of a pleasure, with older power steering, mechanical buttons and such, being able to feel the road through the wheel to your hands, it's incredible. I'm just too stubborn to change from what I've loved about this brand since I was a child is all.

Now I won't go and say "Porsche has lost their way"(as much as I want to jump on that bandwagon), though if this happens, they certainly won't be the same again, but this, along with Ferrari planning on no longer having naturally aspirated V8s in their lineup, Audi removing the gated shifter and going DCT only, I wouldn't say it's just Porsche changing everything we've known, it's much more than that, the world is chaging in ways that are radically forcing these cars to change in ways we'd rather them not to. I'd have to say that Lamborghini will be the last "traditional" supercar brand left solely due to the fact that they've maintained N/A engines, and even that big V12 for so long now.

I just wish that certain brands weren't restricted to the same emissions constraints as everyday commuter cars.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Relax, kid, you got nothing to worry about. They will not be all turbo'd by the time you can afford one. They'll be electric.

Anyway, that'll be the least of your problems. What you said about having to work for it? For years now they've had the car correcting drivers errors to such an extent the drivers no longer even realize they're errors! Screw up with a 74 and you loop it, plain and simple. Experience like that, most people tend to learn to not repeat. Now though, between torque vectoring and stability management (and with 400 hp) they just wear out brake pads. Rear brake pads! Can you believe it!? (And it can't be the driver, it must be the car.)

But they will solve all this. By the time your new 911 emerges from the 3D printer, Porsche Perpetual Cruise Control will automatically read the road and driver inputs and get you round the bend absolutely as fast as the GPS monitored speed limit allows.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Relax, kid, you got nothing to worry about. They will not be all turbo'd by the time you can afford one. They'll be electric. Anyway, that'll be the least of your problems. What you said about having to work for it? For years now they've had the car correcting drivers errors to such an extent the drivers no longer even realize they're errors! Screw up with a 74 and you loop it, plain and simple. Experience like that, most people tend to learn to not repeat. Now though, between torque vectoring and stability management (and with 400 hp) they just wear out brake pads. Rear brake pads! Can you believe it!? (And it can't be the driver, it must be the car.) But they will solve all this. By the time your new 911 emerges from the 3D printer, Porsche Perpetual Cruise Control will automatically read the road and driver inputs and get you round the bend absolutely as fast as the GPS monitored speed limit allows.
That's no better!!

Quick Reply: Porsche's U.S. Patent for 991.2