Sponsored by:

1st oil change frustration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st oil change frustration

So my dealer is far from my house and I tried to go to Tire Kingdom and even called in advance of arriving there today (Sunday). I show up and the guys there tell me "you are going to be so mad at me, but we can't do a Porsche because we don't have the right oil filter" (despite what we talked about on the phone). They say no tire kingdom around here has it. They gave the runaround to a guy in front of me too coincidentally about not having his tires they said they had too.

Most everyone else is closed today when you call, even my Porsche service centers that are local. Where are other recommended places to get an oil change for Porsche besides the dealer or is the official center the way to go? I only have 3500 miles on it and its telling me 17 days or ~6000 miles. Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Why not do it yourself? Super easy to do. You can get a kit from suncoast parts. If you don't want to do it yourself, you could also order the kit and then take it to your local service place
Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run down to your local auto parts store and buy the filter. It doesn't have to be an OEM filter. Most auto parts stores are open on Sundays.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:04 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Thanks Grandlaker, makes sense to just get this. Those guys should have told me go pick one up and we'll do it instead I have to ask a smart person. I won't be going back to that Tire Kingdom.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4996_274286_0_
Autozone says this is good for the 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera. It says this though: Notes: Available in Champ brand as VDP
So its better to get an official Porsche one right?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the "other" forum for easy instructions on the oil change. If your drain pan is too tall for the amount of oil it holds - a trick I learned from BMW forum is use a aluminum disposable roasting pan you can find at grocery store. The tend to be a little shorter than a typical 10 qt oil drain pan.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I'm drawing the line at DIY waxing/polishing, but thanks for the tips. I'll have a service center do it.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Make sure they don't overfill the thing.
A common mistake made by many a "professional"..
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I would never trust a place like Jiffy Lube or Tire Kingdom, but hey, it's your car. Just be sure they torque things correctly and use the right oil!

Changing it yourself is easy. Took me 30 minutes, and 20 minutes of that was just waiting for the oil to drain. $85 in parts including oil.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Personally, I would never trust a place like Jiffy Lube or Tire Kingdom, but hey, it's your car. Just be sure they torque things correctly and use the right oil!

Changing it yourself is easy. Took me 30 minutes, and 20 minutes of that was just waiting for the oil to drain. $85 in parts including oil.
How did you reset the computer not to display service warning?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have mine done at the dealer. It's easy to make mistakes when doing it yourself, like replacing the drain plug manually and forgetting to wrench-tighten it. I know it sounds crazy. "What idiot would do such a thing?" you might ask.

...wait for it...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with you Hammer. Not worth my time nor effort to change my own oil 1-2/year. My pleasure to pay someone else who knows what they are doing.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

@TheAnswer - Do you have a Porsche Indy shop close by.
Might be well worth your time.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drmatara
How did you reset the computer not to display service warning?
Apparently, you need a Durametric tool to reset the service reminder. However, the reminder only stays on for a few seconds upon start up and then it goes away. The reminder does not stay on while driving. I changed my oil and filter myself a month ago and the reminder is not a big deal.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I have mine done at the dealer. It's easy to make mistakes when doing it yourself, like replacing the drain plug manually and forgetting to wrench-tighten it. I know it sounds crazy. "What idiot would do such a thing?" you might ask.

...wait for it...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

You guys crack me up here. All this fuss about an oil change? I guess I grew up in a different era when real car enthusiasts did their own work up to the limits of their tools and capabilities. You get to KNOW your car when you do things yourself, its part of the intimacy of being a true enthusiast. Running the car to the dealer for every little thing - any car - shows you are an owner, but you're not a real car guy. I have never taken any of my vehicles into a dealership for an oil change - EVER (unless it was a freebie). Sure, I can afford to do so and pay someone to do it if I want, but i enjoy getting under the car (or motorcycle) and taking it apart to do things, it leads to a sense of satisfaction. You should try it sometime, start with the easy stuff like an oil change.

Without the do-it-yourselfers, all the good info you get on forums like this would slow to a trickle. The enthusiasts are the ones that really power sites like this, and they're the ones who can tell you that 'this - or that' is how you tweak your car because they have done it in their own garage. There is much fun to be had jacking up a car on a Friday night, having a pal or two come over, pulling out your Snap-On sockets and you swap in an exhaust while having a few beers and some Doritos in the garage. That's good stuff.....that's the true enthusiast.

Unfortunately, right now all my vehicles I own are 2014 models. That means they don't need any work so I'm often looking around for something to go wrench on and that gets me going over to the John Deere Garden Tractor or the Honda SnowBlower I have to play on, but I'd rather work on cars.

Try it. You will get a sense of self-satisfaction of a job you did yourself, and you are not going to screw anything up.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change frustration