Sponsored by:

20k service question - dealer ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
...Mobil does not really have a Porsche approved 5W40...
Wow, I would have thought M1 5W40 would be a great oil in areas like mine that don't get below 50F. Too bad it's not approved
Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Interesting points of view on this thread. I do a lot of my own mechanical work as it's a necessity when tracking often. I don't change my own oil though as I really don't want to deal with the waste. Do you guys take it to an auto parts store, pour it down the drain, keep it in your garaged catalogued to reference letter, or? Lex, I know you send yours to 18 different labs for analysis!
Oreillys or autozone recycles. Interestingly it was easier than my E92 m3 and used the same 36 mm socket
Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 PM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
No. There is not any significant amount of oil 'traapped' in the engine after the oil is drained. At most a couple of ounces.

For the OP, routine mainainence, DYI. Find a different dealer for the warranty work.
I have to come to Chuck's defense, here. My '79 911 had the engine oil cooler at the front of the car, which captured a whole bunch of oil not able to be drained. I really doubt the 991 is any different. Chuck did not say...."oil left in the engine"....,he said ...."in the lines and radiators"...,

My point: If my assumption about the oil radiator is correct, there will be a very generous amount of oil that is not drained through the sump plug.

Second point: For those of you who must let every last drip find your oil catch basin, the joke's on you for thinking you've completely eliminated all that dirty oil.

For what it's worth ($9.00/qt) the dealer's tech found room for an "even" 9 qt in my car. And, the 'site gauge" was about one mark down from the top (was about mid-position at delivery) after the service. (Yea, I'm thinking the same thing......did the tech just add some.)
Old 08-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Since they put in a 5W40....it's Penzoil I bet. Mobil does not really have a Porsche approved 5W40. And I think a 5W40 is better than a 0W40. Unless you live in the artic tundra.
Where did you find the list of porsche approved oil? I did a search but only found what looked to be like some old info.

I live in Jersey, so it might as well be the article tundra when January comes around. In all seriousness I drive the car all winter long with my set of snow tires (Porsche approved snow tires mind you ). It gets cold in my garage, and occasionally I drive even farther north on business so I would rather stick with oil that's suited for that. Either way the dealer should have asked and not assumed.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhlich
I have to come to Chuck's defense, here. My '79 911 had the engine oil cooler at the front of the car, which captured a whole bunch of oil not able to be drained. I really doubt the 991 is any different. Chuck did not say...."oil left in the engine"....,he said ...."in the lines and radiators"...,

My point: If my assumption about the oil radiator is correct, there will be a very generous amount of oil that is not drained through the sump plug.
If I'm not mistaken the oil cooler and associated plumbing is located on the engine. Front mounted radiators are for water.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Wow, I would have thought M1 5W40 would be a great oil in areas like mine that don't get below 50F. Too bad it's not approved
The only 5W40 Mobil I've readily seen is their Turbo Diesel. I've seen another one on their web site, but know nothing about it.

A lot of 996 and 997 guys run the Turbo Diesel with great success.

The are several 5W40s that get the Porsche approval. Penzoil, Motul, for example. There are probably 200+ oils that are globally available on the approved list.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
Where did you find the list of porsche approved oil? I did a search but only found what looked to be like some old info.
I haven't seen a list in about a year. Loren at Renntech has done a good job keeping an active approved list for paid members.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 0W-40 is great oil, it's the factory fill. It's available in Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for $25. It is the right oil for all German cars.

However, getting it there requires sullying oneself by mingling with the cretins. Unless you send Jeeves to run the errand. that is.

Last edited by todd92; 08-16-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Mobil 1 0W-40 is great oil, it's the factory fill. It's available in Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for $25. It is the right oil for all German cars.

However, getting it there requires sullying oneself by mingling with the cretins. Unless you send Jeeves to run the errand. that is.
That is where I got my Mobile 1. Great price. I did not get sullied and I did not mind mingling (but I was careful where I parked).
Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Interesting points of view on this thread. I do a lot of my own mechanical work as it's a necessity when tracking often. I don't change my own oil though as I really don't want to deal with the waste. Do you guys take it to an auto parts store, pour it down the drain, keep it in your garaged catalogued to reference letter, or?

Lex, I know you send yours to 18 different labs for analysis!
Old oil goes to the auto parts store for recycling.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 PM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that never occurred to me. Is it all right to be on this forum if one is a "Cretin"??
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm finding similar 20K frustrations. My dealer wants $629 but no brake flush. Another dealer 100miles away wants $289 but no cabin air filters? Yes, you can change the oil yourself but where do you put all that oil?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
I'm finding similar 20K frustrations. My dealer wants $629 but no brake flush. Another dealer 100miles away wants $289 but no cabin air filters? Yes, you can change the oil yourself but where do you put all that oil?
Many places like Autozone will accept your used oil for free. Which is a deal for them, since they sell it.

Some cities and towns have used oil drop-off centers. My town will pick it up, but then I don't get my container back.

I suggest that you buy a couple of those five quart oil containers for your next change, and use those to shuttle the used oil.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I suggest that you buy a couple of those five quart oil containers for your next change, and use those to shuttle the used oil.
I use an open top oil catch pan ...little cleaner and less splash and plenty of room for oil.....and then transfer it into a 5 gal plastic fuel can for transport to an autoparts store. That way I can get an oil change or 2 into the transport can before having to make a trip to empty. I have a few items to change oil in so there's always something on stands/ramps.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
medacus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just called to get a quote today and they wanted 790 for oil change and cabin filter. Brake flush was 170 extra.

Quick Reply: 20k service question - dealer ripoff?