Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
There is a long running commercial on t.v. stating that I stayed at this hotel now I am a expert.
Now saying that I drove laps at nurburgring, so my statements are legit has become a thing.
Did you DRIVE the car before you bought it? If so how did these boring traits escape you.
Hardly what I'm saying. I was simply making the point I have experience with 911's and am well aware of the differences in models. The boring traits escaped me because my prior experience with the 991 had been driving it on the autobahn. It's a fantastic autobahn cruiser. Of note - women love it too. ...but if you want a car that's fun to fool around with on American backroads with speed limits -- the car severely disappoints.

The 991 feels like exactly what Porsche intended it to be - a grand touring sporty car for the 50y/o and rising Asian market that buys them.

I had more fun driving my boy racer 2012 WRX STI.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Snore is a bit harsh but yes I do agree on how comfortable and capable the car is at any speed with little fanfare.

I was a row'er for most of my adult life and to be in a PDK car is a bit quirky but then I put my foot down in the twisties with both hands on the wheel I feel so in control I have to just laugh thinking did the car just do that... how is it possible. The car can be driven in Dr. Jekyll mode or with a push of a button it's in the Mr Hyde mode and I find that just fascinating.

This is my 1st 911 and I was pleased it's not going to kill me when I go around a corner like I've heard many of the older 911 did.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
the OP in entitled to his opinion.

One question for the OP- Why did you opt for the PDK instead of the stick? It seems to me that the latter would provide the involvement youre looking for?
...because the stick isn't a proper stick anymore. It's a bull**** unit designed to increase Porsche's fleet fuel mileage and meet Euro5/6. If they offered a proper 6-speed I would have went for it. As they don't - I think the 991 is best served with the PDK and sport design wheel.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I rented one from Avis for three days while I was in Germany. The autobahn conceals what I view as the cars deficiencies.
i get it. its not for everybody. i think its silly to expect everyone to absolutely adore the vehicle just because they do. i absolutely love my car but i also know that a significant part of that involves the design aesthetics (exterior and interior) over the performance. i'm not an experienced track guy and i barely understand how an engine works but thats me. i'd rather spend my time learning and honing my trade...

hopefully you can get a decent buck. sidenote, i don't think its fair to brush porsche with the boring stick...they're doing what every other volume manufacturer is doing to survive in the market. its not easy out there
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991999R
i get it. its not for everybody. i think its silly to expect everyone to absolutely adore the vehicle just because they do. i absolutely love my car but i also know that a significant part of that involves the design aesthetics (exterior and interior) over the performance. i'm not an experienced track guy and i barely understand how an engine works but thats me. i'd rather spend my time learning and honing my trade...

hopefully you can get a decent buck. sidenote, i don't think its fair to brush porsche with the boring stick...they're doing what every other volume manufacturer is doing to survive in the market. its not easy out there
The inside/outside of the car are beyond beautiful. Every female is in love with the car. ...and I think you're spot on with your assessment that Porsche is simply doing what everybody else is doing. In fact - that's probably why I am so harsh on it. It honestly reminds me of a nicer looking, better sounding version of the boring to drive GTR.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Is anyone collecting these? That way at the end of the year we could have a run-off vote on who started the most idiotic troll thread.

In the category of most clueless driver, the nominees are….

And in the category of dropping the most super car references while feigning blasé ennui bordering on disdain for everything real enthusiasts admire the winner is…

We'll be right back after the break with Special Guest Jeremy Clarkson introducing the nominees for most inept automotive sexual metaphors!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Easy solution: sell the 991 and buy a Lotus Elise. Given that you are 30 years old, you will be able to gracefully get in and out of the Elise.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

The inside/outside of the car are beyond beautiful. Every female is in love with the car. ...and I think you're spot on with your assessment that Porsche is simply doing what everybody else is doing. In fact - that's probably why I am so harsh on it. It honestly reminds me of a nicer looking, better sounding version of the boring to drive GTR.
i think for its price point it is difficult to find a comparable vehicle that hits the mark that i think you're looking for. i think you'd have to go american muscle if you want that raw, powerful feel or smaller euro or japanese rally style vehicle (STi comes to mind which i had a blast driving) i think you know you're trolling a bit but i had a ball reading your Sterling911 thread so that has to be worth something
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

i think for its price point it is difficult to find a comparable vehicle that hits the mark that i think you're looking for. i think you'd have to go american muscle if you want that raw, powerful feel or smaller euro or japanese rally style vehicle (STi comes to mind which i had a blast driving) i think you know you're trolling a bit but i had a ball reading your Sterling911 thread so that has to be worth something
It's only trolling if being genuinely unhappy with the vehicle you purchased should be something you keep to yourself; perhaps the title is a bit inflammatory.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

perhaps the title is a bit inflammatory.
Just a tad.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

perhaps the title is a bit inflammatory.
If you're a serious young man and not a troll boy, then yes.

Many older members (like me) have worked very long and hard to pay off mortgages and put kids through school. We have a pride and appreciation for what our hard-earned dollar has reaped for us.

You have a different opinion of the car that we've both bought. That's totally legit. But to dismiss the 911 out of hand comes across as something worse than inflammatory. It comes across as quite immature.

I'm done playing dad. I'm going to go drive my car now . . .
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
If you're a serious young man and not a troll boy, then yes.

Many older members (like me) have worked very long and hard to pay off mortgages and put kids through school. We have a pride and appreciation for what our hard-earned dollar has reaped for us.

You have a different opinion of the car that we've both bought. That's totally legit. But to dismiss the 911 out of hand comes across as something worse than inflammatory. It comes across as quite immature.

I'm done playing dad. I'm going to go drive my car now . . .
My dad couldn't afford to put his 11 kids through college or buy a new 911; but he also wouldn't come on the internet and suggest how hard he worked to pay for a toy.

My 991 dismissal isn't out of hand -- on the contrary - I actually own the car equipped with the same options I'd order tomorrow so I'm in a good position to criticize it. Regardless, since you like your car - don't worry about my opinion - enjoy in good health.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Sterling911 haha! I wonder what happened with him.

The 2012 STI I owned was probably the most fun car I've driven on shoddy Midwestern roads. It's got that 'cheap enough not to worry about abusing it' feel. I saw a new 2015 on the road and it looked fantastic - much better than the photos would suggest.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

sell the 991 and buy a Ferrari.........simple fix
Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...because the stick isn't a proper stick anymore. It's a bull**** unit designed to increase Porsche's fleet fuel mileage and meet Euro5/6. If they offered a proper 6-speed I would have went for it. As they don't - I think the 991 is best served with the PDK and sport design wheel.
This is ludicrous! I have been driving sports cars and sticks for longer than I care to remember..This 7 speed MT coupled to my 991 is a match made in heaven. I have never driven a car that has a better matched gearbox to vehicle.

YMMV, but I cannot imagine anything better. As for the car itself, I guess its all about expectations. Porsche delivered a fine automobile that has a dual personality. You have witnessed both of those personalizes. Maybe you need to drive on roads that are more appropriate for your expectations.

You said it yourself, its the roads that you drive on that are a "yawn". Not the car.

But, I definitely think you need to sell it to someone who will enjoy it more than you and complain less than you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore