Surprising discovery / rev-matching

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Every electronic "driver aid" should have an off state. Completely off, switch off, disconnected, no residual involvement whatsoever. Including ABS, if you ask me. Including power steering and of course stability in its various incarnations and manifestations.

Otherwise, where to draw the line?

Automatic wipers that simply refuse to not wipe, even when it means smearing the screen into a haze of sunlight glare?

How about an automatic radio that plays no matter what, and adjusts its own audio level, no matter what the driver might do?

Automatic headlights that come on and drain a weak battery that would have otherwise just barely started the engine?

Automatic seats that plow forward to force the driver into an "ideal" driving posture no matter the skills or physical needs of the driver?

Where do they draw the line?

I wish they'd start with making the cabin design free from insufferable air buffeting with the windows down, before they deny the driver any involvement in the car at all -- they (car makers) should have no say in whether or not a driver might be able to enjoy a double-de-clutch downshift just for the f'king fun of it.

Good question my friend.. It comes as no surpize that I have no answer. Hopefully, they will just let us use our old cars.. I, for once, will never relate to this approach. Sport cars mean something else to me. They will always will.

(Almost) plagiarising Setright (perhaps the greatest motoring journalist to have set foot on this planet):

"We may be able to see a beautiful integrity in the uncompromising and dauntingly competent stance of today’s 911s (insert your current favorite car), wide and low and sticky with rubber, clean and complex, full of electronics aids like a surgical theatre, a blare in the ears and a blur in the eyes and a fireproofed gauntlet flung in the face of relevance."
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

: )

A gauntlet thrown in the face of relevance.

Well said.

This reminds me of a response by a respect journalist in the USA (yes, they have one or two!) to Donald Trump attempting to pervert the course of the US Presidential election by mocking the office of the President and instead turning himself into an *** clown and attracting deserved mockery.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is troublesome, a manual gear box rev matching automatically??? huh?
PDK.. sure.. whatever it is an automatic.

By no means I am condoning what Porsche is doing with the manual, but given that this transmission shares some similarity with the PDK, or so their marketing speak would have you believe, does it seem plausible that they are trying to cover up some fundamental design flaw, premature wear or anything of that nature by automatically matching the revs by simulating throttle application?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is getting funny.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot

By no means I am condoning what Porsche is doing with the manual, but given that this transmission shares some similarity with the PDK, or so their marketing speak would have you believe, does it seem plausible that they are trying to cover up some fundamental design flaw, premature wear or anything of that nature by automatically matching the revs by simulating throttle application?
No.

Gary, eschewing his usual detailed answers
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot

+1 on the No, + points for extreme forebearance.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Is there NOTHING they will leave to the driver!!!
funny, coming from someone that has to tell all that his car is 'loaded"
presumably you didn't want to do that much yourself.....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
johnhv
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rev matching?

From reading this forum it appears that 991 gets rev matching if the car is a manual with sports chrono and sport plus is engaged. When I contacted local dealers they were totally unaware of this. In this week auto week in an article on the carrera 4 they support this. For those of you who have a 2013 manual with sports chrono would you please tell me your experience down shifting while in sport plus.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
DBYT
Pro

I posted a thread call Surprising Discovery on discovering that I had the rev matching feature on my car. It does exactly what it says...when you are in sport plus and you engage the clutch to downshift, the engine blips to match the revs of the lower gear. I did a hundred mile trip today with it on and it matched revs perfectly.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
turn off Sport Plus
The biggest complainers don't have sport plus, and likely not a 991 either.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Did people complain like this when electric starter motors replaced the crank? When the manual choke became automatic? Anyone yearn for the days when the driver had to manually advance the ignition while driving? And oh, the glorious golden years when we filled our headlamps with water, carborundum and carefully trimmed and lit the wicks on the headlamps.

Those were the days! Four-thousand pound cars with 74 hp going 8 miles on a gallon of gas on tires 4" wide that run sometimes for hundreds of miles with only a half a dozen flats!

I vote we merge this thread with the guy who drives a Suburban while complaining about his 991 being too big for his driveway. All in favor say "Aye-yi-yi"!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
Did people complain like this when electric starter motors replaced the crank? When the manual choke became automatic? Anyone yearn for the days when the driver had to manually advance the ignition while driving? And oh, the glorious golden years when we filled our headlamps with water, carborundum and carefully trimmed and lit the wicks on the headlamps.

Those were the days! Four-thousand pound cars with 74 hp going 8 miles on a gallon of gas on tires 4" wide that run sometimes for hundreds of miles with only a half a dozen flats!

I vote we merge this thread with the guy who drives a Suburban while complaining about his 991 being too big for his driveway. All in favor say "Aye-yi-yi"!
exactly. I don't quite get the what seem like visceral feelings coming from some of our 997 owning friends. The irony (hypocrisy?) of a person getting indignant over a car that offers rev matching while at the same time ticking about every available option on his 997 including paint to match is amazing to me.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

I have a 370Z and although I can turn off my rev matching (Synchro Rev Match) I literally never do. It is always on in my Z and I love it, and I can imagine the 911 does it far better and faster than the Z. I have a question, does it rev match for up shifts too?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Lol Aye yi yi indeed chuck!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Quick Reply: Surprising discovery / rev-matching