Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM
cy456
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a blk/blk 991S today with red deviated stitching, Red seat belts and red gauges. Car looked AMAZING. Nice contrasting effect with the red brake lights and calipers on the outside.

Wondering what you all thought of a black car with Carrera red interior and deviated black stitching in addition to the deviated carpet in black? Wanted to break up the 'redness' of the interior, can't find anything on google. I know its a 4k+ cost including the steering wheel, just asking what you folks thought about the contrast of red and black.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy CDR
My PTS (Porsche Racing Green) and LTS order has been delayed 4 weeks from June 7th to July 5th due mainly to some vendor parts issues (for 991 and Boxsters).
NavyCDR, we are looking forward to seeing that Racing Green and Leather to Sample interior when it finally arrives!

Originally Posted by cy456
Wondering what you all thought of a black car with Carrera red interior and deviated black stitching in addition to the deviated carpet in black? Wanted to break up the 'redness' of the interior, can't find anything on google. I know its a 4k+ cost including the steering wheel, just asking what you folks thought about the contrast of red and black.
cy456, I pondered this question a lot when I ordered my '12 Spyder with a full leather 'Carrera Red' interior. After much research in the forums, I finally found someone that had ordered deviating black stitching on a 'Carrera Red' full leather interior (see first three photos). It has it on the dash, top of door panels and seats!

Guess what, the 'Carrera Red' overwhelms the puny black stitching and almost goes unnoticed! I concluded it was a waste of money to put ANY deviating stitching on a 'Carrera Red' interior. Compare this to having deviating red stitching on black seats...just like what you just saw in Hawaii! (photo #4)

What one can do to ameliorate the 'red' is deviating carpet (like in the photos of the 'Carrara White' Spyder) and black leather panels on the door or seats. 'Porsche Exclusive' is allowing you to add 'Black' leather panels on the doors on special request. I have posted photos of that before on this thread.

Sadly, Porsche is not letting one order a true Dual-Tone 'Black/Carrera Red' interior like they have allowed for the 'Luxor Beige/Black' bi-color option. They currently allow you to order the dash in deviating black leather...but have no provisions for coordinating the plastic parts on the dash (ventilation & speaker grill) in 'soft black paint'! See last photo (#5) of what it looks like unless you coordinate the soft paint plastic pieces on the dash!

Someone reported here that Porsche is waiting to make that very desirable 'Black/Carrera Red' combo available exclusively on the new 991 Turbo! Maybe shortly afterwards, Porsche will let all 991 customers have that 'choice'. It's surely needed to 'soften' the otherwise overwhelming 'Carrera Red' interior...plus minimize the reflection of the 'Red' dash on the windshield! This is the only way Audi delivers it's 'Red' interior on their R8...and it's very attractive!

By the way, Cy, is there a more recent update on the PCNA PTS list that you posted for us last January. I posted the first two bulletins by Joe West, but yours was the latest which was dated December of 2012.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Attached Images      
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Navy CDR
I have also been told that an official decision on an Espresso and Cognac interior for MY 2014 Turbo and Turbo S has not yet been made.
I was told that it is indeed planned, but one supplier needs to be replaced, which is why it isn't officially decided or announced yet. They won't speculate as to whether it's likely to be ready in time for September production start.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
On the 'Lava' Audi color....if you truly want that on a new Porsche...be sure to check Carbon Grey Metallic.

The formulas are very close.
Thanks Eric, I will look into this,
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Someone reported here that Porsche is waiting to make that very desirable 'Black/Carrera Red' combo available exclusively on the new 991 Turbo! Maybe shortly afterwards, Porsche will let all 991 customers have that 'choice'. It's surely needed to 'soften' the otherwise overwhelming 'Carrera Red' interior...plus minimize the reflection of the 'Red' dash on the windshield!
Eduardo,
It is true, you can get the black/red interior but only with the Turbo S, not the Turbo. I agree that the all red is too much. I had originally ordered it on my black Spyder, but changed to black with alcantara. I have since changed the center console to alcantara and added red shift boot trim, red dash strip and red seat inserts to break things up.

By the way, how does the R8 compare to the spyder?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jon70
Eduardo,
It is true, you can get the black/red interior but only with the Turbo S, not the Turbo. I agree that the all red is too much. I had originally ordered it on my black Spyder, but changed to black with alcantara. I have since changed the center console to alcantara and added red shift boot trim, red dash strip and red seat inserts to break things up.

By the way, how does the R8 compare to the spyder?
I don't know. I was not the one that reported that the 'Black/Red' bi-color would only be available for a Turbo model.

I remember what you did to your Spyder. It looks great!

Comparison? The v8 R8 Spyder is a very expensive car. In comparison, the Boxster Spyder is a very inexpensive car! The Brits have tested them head to head on the track and the Porsche is slightly faster! Both are excellent driving vehicles. The Porsche is a better value. The R8 commands an audience everywhere I go. If I could, I would have kept the Boxster Spyder and added the R8 Spyder. I am applying next week for a job in the diplomatic corps. How do you think I'll do?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know. I was not the one that reported that the 'Black/Red' bi-color would only be available for a Turbo model.

I remember what you did to your Spyder. It looks great!

Comparison? The v8 R8 Spyder is a very expensive car. In comparison, the Boxster Spyder is a very inexpensive car! The Brits have tested them head to head on the track and the Porsche is slightly faster! Both are excellent driving vehicles. The Porsche is a better value. The R8 commands an audience everywhere I go. If I could, I would have kept the Boxster Spyder and added the R8 Spyder. I am applying next week for a job in the diplomatic corps. How do you think I'll do?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Thanks for the info. If I were offering you the job, I'd ask if you could start tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
cy456
Intermediate

By the way, Cy, is there a more recent update on the PCNA PTS list that you posted for us last January. I posted the first two bulletins by Joe West, but yours was the latest which was dated December of 2012
According to my salesperson, Porsche stopped taking any new PTS orders from January and would resume again in August. I would assume they are still doing testing on different colors, but weren't releasing any new lists since you would not be able to order one anyway. Was going to wait until then to see if any new updates to the list were made, but I don't think I can hold out that long lol.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
If not mistaken, Porsche Carbon Grey is non metallic, it is one of the two grey colors that will be exclusively available for the upcoming 50th anniversary 911 only.
My mistake, I meant graphite grey will be the non metallic grey exterior color for the upcoming 911 50th.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS on MY2014

Originally Posted by cy456
According to my salesperson, Porsche stopped taking any new PTS orders from January and would resume again in August. I would assume they are still doing testing on different colors, but weren't releasing any new lists since you would not be able to order one anyway. Was going to wait until then to see if any new updates to the list were made, but I don't think I can hold out that long lol.
cy456: Correct, PTS orders for MY2013 are no longer being accepted. Those PTS orders that came in before the deadline will be fulfilled. I expect we will see those PTS cars becoming known in the next few months via postings here and in other forums!

Here is the information furnished to me by a representative of 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany via a recent email on this particular subject matter:

"In the current model year (MY 2013) no additional feasibility checks are considered. Starting with MY 2014 in June, you could request a feasibility check at your dealership for a new car order. Please note that the feasibility check can take up to 6 months at present and may cause delay on the delivery date (depending on the production quota)"

The feasibility check pertains only to a color that has NOT been already approved for the 991, 981 or Panamera! If you choose an approved color (e.g. Riviera or Mexico Blue), you don't have much of a delay. A hold up sometimes occurs when they 'bunch up' production for a series of PTS cars to facilitate the paint process (changing colors & cleaning out the spray nozzles, etc). In the case of MY2012 Spyders, all three PTS cars were done in last week of production. But that is not the 'normal'. We have been seeing MY2013 991's and 981's being delivered in custom PTS colors for months now...and production is not yet finished for the MY2013's!

So for Germany, MY2014 apparently starts for the 991 (perhaps 981 too) in June. The PTS window for MY2014 might be open in Germany by that date. We don't know if PCNA will follow that exact PTS ordering window as Germany, but I suspect it will be the same!

It would be nice to have PCNA's Joe West give dealers SOON an updated PTS approved list in case any NEW colors have been added to the list since Dec of 2012! Colors are only added to the official 'approved' list if a customer or dealer has ordered a Porsche in that particular hue and the color has passed the 'feasibility test', which involves doing samples using Dupont auto paint & checking for fading & other factors on the various components (metal, plastic, etc) presently used on that model in series production! For example, we saw the beautiful 'Gulf Orange' added in Dec of 2012, which was a total surprise to me!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO

PS I will post soon about what I learned from my recent 2 hour visit on April 18th with Dr. Tobias Donnevert (GM Customer Center- Customer Consultation & European Delivery Center), Mr. Boris Apenbrink (GM Customer Center - Special Vehicles) and Sven Theis, Customer Advisor (Porsche Exclusive) in Zuffenhausen!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very helpful tread. Thanks for posting it. I have 2012 991 and thinking about ordering a new GT3. My question is can I get a leather steering wheel and seats to replace the Alcantara. Or even have the Alcantara on the seats replaced with the old classic Porsche hounds tooth?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gene G
Very helpful tread. Thanks for posting it. I have 2012 991 and thinking about ordering a new GT3. My question is can I get a leather steering wheel and seats to replace the Alcantara. Or even have the Alcantara on the seats replaced with the old classic Porsche hounds tooth?
I'd like to know this as well - I dream of a Riviera GT3 with a Can Can Red interior...
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gene G
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
I'd like to know this as well - I dream of a Riviera GT3 with a Can Can Red interior...
The leather steering wheel and leather inlays on the seats might be possible after regular production starts. In the .1 997 gt3, I believe they allowed this option in MY2008 on both gt3 and gt3 RS!

I am afraid that hounds tooth cloth inlays and 'can can' red interior are not likely options EVER on the gt3 models. The interior will probably stay pretty much as you see it now. Sort of the early Henry Ford maxim - 'Any color you want as long as it's 'Black''. They might bring out again 'red' alcantara in selected inlays, door panels and headliners for a special gt3 model, like they did for the .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition! But in general, get used to the idea of a 'black' interior on a gt3!

Prospective gt3 customers should not overlook the new, bolder stitching on the standard gt3. It really stands out! And for a bit more money, you can have the same stitching in deviating 'Red'. The standard stitching on the seats, etc, is different shade than the standard offered on the 991 black interiors! Once they allow PTS on the gt3's, they might have a program for deviating stitching in a similar color for the interior. But nothing like that is in the works right now. They are even having a hard time offering deviating stitching on the seats of regular 991's and 981's right now!

I will talk more about PTS soon on this thread. Personally, I am not sure they will allow PTS on the 991 gt3 on the first year (MY2014). However, I would anticipate that they will allow it for MY2015. But you need to think about it early and plan carefully for it. If the PTS color you choose is not yet approved, Porsche will need to do feasibility studies on it. These could take up to 6 months and commence only after a firm order is placed for a vehicle. Your dealer will be afraid to allocate a valuable gt3 slot to you if Porsche is not sure your PTS will ever be approved! You are OK with Riviera Blue because that has been pre-approved for the 991 and the 991 gt3 will be built with similar materials. But we don't know about the RS yet. It might have some carbon fiber panels and I don't know if the approved colors will need to be re-qualified for that specific model! I don't expect PTS allowed on the 991 gt3 RS until MY2016, if Porsche follows past history.

So if you are thinking of PTS on a gt3, I recommend you stick to a color that has been ALREADY approved by Porsche! We have published on this thread the last three PTS approved lists from PCNA and Porsche. Look it up if you are interested.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The leather steering wheel and leather inlays on the seats might be possible after regular production starts. In the .1 997 gt3, I believe they allowed this option in MY2008 on both gt3 and gt3 RS!

I am afraid that hounds tooth cloth inlays and 'can can' red interior are not likely options EVER on the gt3 models. The interior will probably stay pretty much as you see it now. Sort of the early Henry Ford maxim - 'Any color you want as long as it's 'Black''. They might bring out again 'red' alcantara in selected inlays, door panels and headliners for a special gt3 model, like they did for the .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition! But in general, get used to the idea of a 'black' interior on a gt3!

Prospective gt3 customers should not overlook the new, bolder stitching on the standard gt3. It really stands out! And for a bit more money, you can have the same stitching in deviating 'Red'. The standard stitching on the seats, etc, is different shade than the standard offered on the 991 black interiors! Once they allow PTS on the gt3's, they might have a program for deviating stitching in a similar color for the interior. But nothing like that is in the works right now. They are even having a hard time offering deviating stitching on the seats of regular 991's and 981's right now!

I will talk more about PTS soon on this thread. Personally, I am not sure they will allow PTS on the 991 gt3 on the first year (MY2014). However, I would anticipate that they will allow it for MY2015. But you need to think about it early and plan carefully for it. If the PTS color you choose is not yet approved, Porsche will need to do feasibility studies on it. These could take up to 6 months and commence only after a firm order is placed for a vehicle. Your dealer will be afraid to allocate a valuable gt3 slot to you if Porsche is not sure your PTS will ever be approved! You are OK with Riviera Blue because that has been pre-approved for the 991 and the 991 gt3 will be built with similar materials. But we don't know about the RS yet. It might have some carbon fiber panels and I don't know if the approved colors will need to be re-qualified for that specific model! I don't expect PTS allowed on the 991 gt3 RS until MY2016, if Porsche follows past history.

So if you are thinking of PTS on a gt3, I recommend you stick to a color that has been ALREADY approved by Porsche! We have published on this thread the last three PTS approved lists from PCNA and Porsche. Look it up if you are interested.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Thanks for the info.

PTS would be a necessity; leather-to-sample a bonus. Let's see what plays out...
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
cy456
Intermediate

Default NEW PTS LIST FOR 2014

New PTS list for model year 2014. Enjoy...

Last edited by cy456; 06-01-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!