Sponsored by:

sport bucket seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't think it's difficult at all, but probably takes an extra 5 seconds or so vs 18-ways. If I had to come up with a for me is when I forget to take stuff out of my pockets - it makes it pretty irritating.

I'm slightly off-topic maybe: I have an 2007 CS with the Carrera GT bucket seats and I have no problem getting in or out of the driver seat.

I find it more difficult to get out of the passenger seat since there is no steering wheel to grab to get some leverage.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I'm slightly off-topic maybe: I have an 2007 CS with the Carrera GT bucket seats and I have no problem getting in or out of the driver seat. I find it more difficult to get out of the passenger seat since there is no steering wheel to grab to get some leverage.
I'm curious to see what the wear is like on the left padded bolster right at the hip area. It's designed that I can't get in and out of the LWBs without rubbing against it. I'm debating whether to cover it now so it doesn't wear prematurely.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
FWIW, the LWB seats are more comfortable when wearing a helmet... my head is not pushed forward as much.
Very good to hear! This was a bit of an issue before, Hans made it slightly worse too.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I'm curious to see what the wear is like on the left padded bolster right at the hip area. It's designed that I can't get in and out of the LWBs without rubbing against it. I'm debating whether to cover it now so it doesn't wear prematurely.

Jeff
In my car it seems to be a very strong material. Not sure exactly what it is. I do not think that there has been any significant wear. But it is probably better to be safe then sorry.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sat in my car with LWB's....car to be delivered Friday. I am 6'7" 250lbs with a 40" waist. Hallelujah they are comfortable and fit like a glove. Thank you Porsche for making seats for the bigger guy....
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I just sat in my car with LWB's....car to be delivered Friday. I am 6'7" 250lbs with a 40" waist. Hallelujah they are comfortable and fit like a glove. Thank you Porsche for making seats for the bigger guy....
How was headroom? Think you'd make it with a helmet? Do they lower pretty far?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
How was headroom? Think you'd make it with a helmet? Do they lower pretty far?
I knew you were going to ask that. I did not try raising or lowering the seat so whatever position it was in at the factory was it. I had a couple inches...hopefully it was in the high position as I would need a bit more room for the helmet or take out the seat fanny cushion when tracking. With the seat all the way back, I had plenty of leg room width...Much better than the 996 which was tight for me...knee close to the steering wheel.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I knew you were going to ask that. I did not try raising or lowering the seat so whatever position it was in at the factory was it. I had a couple inches...hopefully it was in the high position as I would need a bit more room for the helmet or take out the seat fanny cushion when tracking. With the seat all the way back, I had plenty of leg room width...Much better than the 996 which was tight for me...knee close to the steering wheel.
Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm the other side of this coin, I don't like all the extra padding in the 18-ways. I much prefer the LWBs for long drives - have done a couple of 3-4 hour stints in them and was much more comfortable than doing them in 18-ways.

I like a very firm seat so for me the 18-ways are just too soft.
Obviously a very subjective topic. For my part, no way would I call the 18 way seats soft. And while I loved the GT2 buckets in my Carrera, strictly from a comfort standpoint the ability to make multiple adjustments to height, cushion and seatback angle, lumbar, and even the bolsters makes a big difference on long trips with the 18 way seats. With the buckets, you're basically stuck with one position for the duration which becomes fatiguing for me. But TEHO; everyone is different.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:02 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Finally! A rennlister my size. I am the same and find the 18 ways and 991 configuration very good for height. No sunroof is a must for headroom so the GT3 fits the bill. Sort of glad to hear the LWB's fit - I was using my size as an excuse for buyers remorse on not getting them!

Enjoy the car.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 PM
StefaninMA
AutoX

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

The sport bucket seats are great, very comfortable and have adjustments (they don't recline). I am 6'2" and 205 pounds. As a comparison, I have the 18-way seats in my Panny GTS. I wouldn't put them in the GT3. The bucket seats make the car even more special when driving. I had the same questions until the car arrived. It was the first GT3 with buckets for the dealership and they were surprised how good the seats are. - Stefan

Originally Posted by nycjwi
how does the comfort compare between the sport bucket seats and the 18 way adjustable? Do the sport bucket have any adjustments short of forward and back with seat and back rest?
thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StefaninMA
The sport bucket seats are great, very comfortable and have adjustments (they don't recline). I am 6'2" and 205 pounds. As a comparison, I have the 18-way seats in my Panny GTS. I wouldn't put them in the GT3. The bucket seats make the car even more special when driving. I had the same questions until the car arrived. It was the first GT3 with buckets for the dealership and they were surprised how good the seats are. - Stefan
I guess we're all different - I sat in Ortho Joe's LW buckets at the w/e and although comfortable around the torso I found they seemed to just slightly force my legs together. Probably wouldn't have noticed on the track but a lengthy drive might be an issue for me. I'm 6'1" and 205lbs so nearly the same but maybe a different shape? I will say they look so dam gorgeous though, especially the CF on the back.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The LWB are special. They look great. They provide more lateral support and they accept a harness. It can be argued that they are more appropriate in some ways for a car like the GT3. If they would have been available when I ordered my car I probably would have gotten them.

But the OP's question was regarding comfort and adjustability. And when it comes to day to day driving, ease of ingress and egress, and comfort, especially on long trips, the 18 way seats are superior in those respects.

My opinion.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The LWB are special. They look great. They provide more lateral support and they accept a harness. It can be argued that they are more appropriate in some ways for a car like the GT3. If they would have been available when I ordered my car I probably would have gotten them.

But the OP's question was regarding comfort and adjustability. And when it comes to day to day driving, ease of ingress and egress, and comfort, especially on long trips, the 18 way seats are superior in those respects.

My opinion.
Mike, have you sat in the new buckets yet? I've come to the conclusion that since every person's body type and preference are different, that no assumptions can be made about comfort or suitability for any seat.

That being said, everyone should get buckets...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mike, have you sat in the new buckets yet? I've come to the conclusion that since every person's body type and preference are different, that no assumptions can be made about comfort or suitability for any seat.

That being said, everyone should get buckets...
Joe, no I haven't. But I had Euro GT3 buckets fixed buckets in my 996 and GT2 folding buckets in my 997 so I'm pretty familiar with the concept. It's true I'm making an assumption, but unless the new LWB are a LOT different, the lack of adjustability in the buckets makes them inferior, for me, in one area and that area is long range comfort. Sitting in the exact same position for extended periods is almost painful (again, for me) and the ability to change seat back rake, cushion tilt, lumbar, and extend the thigh cushion is a big plus.

I'm not putting down the LWB and they are definitely worth getting. I'm just saying they aren't superior in every area. IMO.

Quick Reply: sport bucket seat