Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone tune their gt3 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

991 turbo ecu has been figured out by a couple tuners. There are also several tuners who are making big power on the 9A1 platform. The platform is still in its infancy but a couple of engine builders (not just tuners, the guys that actually rip the engines apart build these things) have said the platform is stout. Is it as well understood as the Mezger? Not yet.

Tune or not? I wouldn't under warranty. Outside, sure. Especially if mostly for track use and you want to optimize for more open exhaust/cats, hi-oct fuels, or throttle response maps. Just don't expect big gains. 997 platform is maybe 10hp stock or 20 or so with open exhausts.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Dyno? Link? Why are these claims always unsupported? Maybe he's like the guy who supposedly found 12 hp that Porsche's team of cup car engineers overlooked.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...d-991-gt3.html

Dan (thinks these threads are so stupid)
i gave the company name, you can ask them if you want. theyre on instagram.(ECUTUNINGGROUP). thats where i saw their post about the gt3 tune.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
well i would certainly welcome another 30 whp. certainly another 30 wheel torque! wouldnt you???

i tuned my cls to an extra 180 hp, extra 300 wtq and i would still like a ilttle more. lol

not sure about testing or reliability but its only 30 hp. surely the engine cant handle another 30 hp....?
That would be welcome, but when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Porsche claims that max HP is achieved with 93 octane fuel and that a slight decrease can be expected with 91. Yet these guys are claiming 30 more HP on 91.

Also, as Macca pointed out, 30 more lb/ft of torque is a lot without a displacement increase and other mods, and to get that from an ECU adjustment is unrealistic and makes all their claims very suspect IMO.

The engine is very new. How much experience could these tuners have with it that they can feel confident that their mod won't cause problems of one kind or another? Personally, I wouldn't want my engine to be the guinea pig.

It doesn't pass the smell test for me. Add in the fact that if your dealer discovers that you've been messing with the ECU your warranty becomes toast, and I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. Nothing personal, just my $.02.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I would be very surprised if the engine could not handle safely another 30hp. After the previous engine debacle, I would expect that Porsche has made sure the current version is at least that much overbuilt.
Its not the hp. The engine can handle it and I have no doubt Porsche left something on the table here that could be extracted with headers, and exhaust and a remap (infact IPE have got 20bhp through the former cup style without the latter).

But Ive been tuning air cooleds for a while and can tell you 30lbft on a 300lbft engine from a tune is crack pipe smoking stuff. I went motec with hot cams and injectors, MAP sensor, timing advance on my 3.6 (nothing to exotic mind) and couldnt find much more than half of that. Youd need a capacity increase to get there. Im betting that the 4.0L 991 GT3RS (as we believe it is) wont make more than 18-20lbft on the 3.8 991 GT3 even with better exhaust and more aggressive timing...
Old 11-25-2014, 05:27 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
If you have the itch to tune something get a GTR.

there is literally no limit to what you can get out of those cars. Actually there is a limit, and it's how much you want to spend.

I had one and got the itch to make a rocket. 25k later I was pushing 690 hp/ 650tq to the wheels and on e85 gas.

There was no street legal car in the planet including a veryon that could keep up under 160 in a straight line.

Then I realized its a Nissan, I don't care about being he fastest in a straight line , and I missed my Porsches.

Try this. You'll get it out of your system and you will never ever want to tune your gt3 again.
gtr? please. that thing is the ugliest car on the planet. and the most uncomfortable. and the worst sounding.

and why bother with it anyway when a cls with just a tune and upgraded turbos will walk away from a tuned gtr.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

i gave the company name, you can ask them if you want. theyre on instagram.(ECUTUNINGGROUP). thats where i saw their post about the gt3 tune.
Here they are:

http://instagram.com/ecutuninggroup

http://ecutuninggroup.com/company-profile

And, here is what is out there on this company. Check post 23
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...u-upgrade.html

That was a 5 minute internet search. I wouldn't let these guys near my car.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:49 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by hfm
Here they are:

http://instagram.com/ecutuninggroup

http://ecutuninggroup.com/company-profile

And, here is what is out there on this company. Check post 23
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...u-upgrade.html

That was a 5 minute internet search. I wouldn't let these guys near my car.
ya ive heard negative things about them. but theyre not the only tuner ive heard bad stories about (weistec).

but they also seem to have a pretty big following/client base.

they tune veyrons, aventadors, pretty much any car you can name, so the gt3 is probably just another car to them...

whether their tune is legit for the 991 gt3, who knows.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

ya ive heard negative things about them. but theyre not the only tuner ive heard bad stories about (weistec).

but they also seem to have a pretty big following/client base.

they tune veyrons, aventadors, pretty much any car you can name, so the gt3 is probably just another car to them...

whether their tune is legit for the 991 gt3, who knows.
ECU Tuning Group is not well liked across multiple forums.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...ml#post4951569

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/4...u-upgrade.html

Why would you take your car to these guys? Just because people who don't research but have money do? Besides, if you're in Canada, why would you want to go to a company in Beverly Hills, CA?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I did mod up my 997.2 Turbo and it was a rocket. But, I actually have (0) desire to tune my GT3. I am very happy with it straight out of the box. It is probably more car than I can handle but that is what I like. - Just like my women
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I remember a tuned 911 sitting in Jim Ellis's shop for months on end and even Craig Stoyer couldn't get to run right. No thanks.

Last edited by carcommander; 11-25-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by "Mike in CA;
I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.
I agree.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
mainly
Racer

Yes ugly.

Sounded fine.

But one thing for sure is I'd bet every penny I have and borrow as much as I can and out that down also that my GTR would take that tuned CLS of yours starting in 2nd gear to prove a point. You would never ever even get within 5 cars of me no matter what!

Not even the same league.

Car was consistently doing quarter miles in the low 9s trapping in the 140s.
stock tires?

i dont know but with very few mods the 5.5l biturbo ///AMG gets about 900 lbft of torque to just 2 wheels. that goes a long way in a roll race.

especially against a car that has the parasitic losses of AWD. if you had just 600-650 wheel i think the cls63/E63 with tune and upgraded turbos would walk it. stock tires of course.

of course if youre talking a gutted out car, that would be a different story.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 PM
mainly
Racer

If you have the itch to tune something get a GTR.

Try this. You'll get it out of your system and you will never ever want to tune your gt3 again.
i dont necessarily want to tune my gt3. i just thought it would be nice to have a bit more hp. and was curious what others thought. honestly, its unlikely ill ever tune it.
although i think it would be perfect with about 50 more hp/tq. but that isnt going to happen.

as for the gtr - i took one ride in one and never want to set foot in a piece of junk like that again.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Those GTR's will absolutely destroy any tuned Benz. I have driven Renntechs and only drove one middle tuned GTR and it was a freakin rocket! AC Satco is right. The GT-R can be a Veryon beater for 25-35k and will completely destroy any Benz.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mainly. If you are not satisfied with the GT3 output then three options I see:

1). Buy a 991 TT
2). Join this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-s-around.html
3). Buy a 458 Speciale

In all seriousness. You wouldnt have got into a GT3 if your were seriously looking for a car making 525 bhp and 360lbft torque. For that in an atmo engine you would need 8 cylinders.

No one (that Im aware) makes an atmos mass production engine pushing over 135 bhp/L that I am aware not even Ferrari for the 458 sp. To get those numbers from a 3.8 you are talking closer to 140 bhp/L which is beyond current accepted benchmark maximum for production units.

Quick Reply: anyone tune their gt3 yet?