Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Manual.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I been looking for this for a while. Thanks Ryan!!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ryan, thank you very much!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Very Great Thanks Ryan!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive read page 126-129 regards the Track Precision App. Looks like a cobbled together solution with the beacon IMO. Involves cable, setting up a transmitter (tripod, batter source etc). What a big hassle. Surely just use the GPS. AiM or VBox just plug in, recognises track, sectors and start line and go. Am I missing something here? Is the beacon system only if you don't have the smartphone? Im confused? Why would I need this?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^ yeah I don't get the need for the beacon either. I'm assuming GPS is accurate enough..... Or maybe it isn't? Will compare times against my AiM when I get the car
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I just had a harsh realization that the internal gps on the gt3 may only be running at 1hz since that is all you need for navigation. That might be the reason they offer the beacon since at 1hz you can be off by an entire second. AiM solo refreshes at 10hz, so it's accurate to .1 seconds.

The track app may be totally useless. Ugh. Oh well. I have an expensive red clock now...
Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

So, I read the manual and I still don't understand something:

What does ESC off do, and how does it differ from ESC + TC off?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I just had a harsh realization that the internal gps on the gt3 may only be running at 1hz since that is all you need for navigation. That might be the reason they offer the beacon since at 1hz you can be off by an entire second. AiM solo refreshes at 10hz, so it's accurate to .1 seconds.

The track app may be totally useless. Ugh. Oh well. I have an expensive red clock now...
Oh no! If that's true, I may need to remove Sport Chrono from my build before it locks and go with an off-the-shelf solution.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 AM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Ryan! Been interested in finding this too.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:42 AM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Oh no! If that's true, I may need to remove Sport Chrono from my build before it locks and go with an off-the-shelf solution.
I don't know if it's true, but I would say that it's extremely unlikely that Porsche would use a 10hz or better GPS antenna in their PCM system, since it's not necessary. The only question is if they upgrade the GPS antenna for those with sport chrono...... seems... unlikely...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your my hero, Ryan!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:40 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't know if it's true, but I would say that it's extremely unlikely that Porsche would use a 10hz or better GPS antenna in their PCM system, since it's not necessary. The only question is if they upgrade the GPS antenna for those with sport chrono...... seems... unlikely...
Agreed. Never really thought about it. Now, there is an added hardware piece that goes with the 2015 Sport Chrono / Track Pecision pack, but I always assumed it was just the wifi access point. With the posting of the manual, I now see there is a connector for the trigger hardware as well. Perhaps it's not out of the question that Porsche added a second GPS controller that read out at 10 Hz just for the track stuff? Unlikely... they'd need a second antenna as well, or they'd have to muck with the base GPS hardware if they wanted to share antennas.

Likelihood of me removing the SC option is going up by the minute. Man my dealer must hate me...
Old 10-31-2014, 02:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think clarity is needed ASAP by those who have landed a car with it. If it needs a beacon to operate properly then junk it IMO. I always thought it was a gimmick as it doesnt allow anything by way of deep analysis let alone sharing amongst track group buddies like a VBox or AiM, but if its stand alone workable at least it has some gadget value. If it needs additional controlling hardware to be accurate then its a lemon.

That said I think we may be jumping the gun here. If HLT on iPhone6 can do what it does then surely the track app can also use the phones GPS to achieve the same?

Can an owner confirm if it operates stand alone using cars GPS or requires iPhone etc to operate?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

From the Porsche website (http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...precisionapp/) you can trigger laps via GPS:

This app enables your driving stats to be displayed in detail, logged and analysed on your smartphone (data acquired by a special control unit fitted in your car). The following functions are available:

Live display for logging and displaying your lap and sector times (lap timer). Real-time deviation from the defined reference lap, ghost car function, oversteer/understeer, wheel slip and automated triggering of laps and sectors by GPS.

Analysis. Video recording and video analysis with superimposed driving data (e. g. rpm, gear, speed) and driving line visualisation from GPS data on your smartphone.

Evaluation. Racing stats (lap number, lap times, total distance, vehicle data, weather conditions), speed curve, plotting of detailed driving data (e. g. steering angle, brake pressure, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, fuel consumption per lap) based on precise measurement data for evaluating driver and vehicle performance.

Data exchange. Creation and management of driver profiles, route management and definition, log and video management, sharing capabilities.

Now all you have to do is decide whether you want to stop your lap timer manually with the Sport Chrono control lever or stop it automatically by GPS.

Available for GT3 (type 991) only.
On the flip side, it doesn't mention anything about the optical trigger.

Quick Reply: GT3 Manual.