Sponsored by:

CAR Magazine GT3 vs 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Ferrari's are like diamonds. If you artificially restrict supply you can charge a lot more. For the money the GT3 is vastly superior. If they were the same price I'd take the Ferrari.
With the stewardship of Ferrari changing over that very issue, it will be interesting to watch Ferrari production numbers going forward. Personally I never mind giving Ferrari the nod over Porsche since it does no injustice to Porsche.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised about the verdict, as it is similar to Evo's. It's just amazing that car mags actually want to compare the "standard" non-RS GT3 against the most hard core version of the 458. The fact that the GT3 can come close in terms of driving experience/fun given the huge price difference is already impressive for me.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Not surprised about the verdict, as it is similar to Evo's. It's just amazing that car mags actually want to compare the "standard" non-RS GT3 against the most hard core version of the 458. The fact that the GT3 can come close in terms of driving experience/fun given the huge price difference is already impressive for me.
Only due to availability. That will change next year. I have a strong feeling, based on the GT3, the GT3 RS will be an amazing machine.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I am glad I own a GT3 and not a 458 Speciale. Having recently sold my race cars, trailer and tow vehicles, my wife and I drive the GT3 to all our Track events. We just returned from a 1,000 Mile, 15 hour Round Trip between Daytona Beach and Charlotte, NC. Both of us marveled at how comfortable the GT3 was and how quickly the time passed distracted by our Audio Books, Music and News.

Unfortunately and inexplicably, the “Big Test” Car Review did not compare the performance of these cars on the Track. Isn’t the very essence of a Sports Car defined by its Track performance? But <www.fastestlaps.com> has. And the GT3 is faster than the 458 on virtually every track they have been on. It is doubtful to me that the Speciale will close the gap.

In contrast to the GT3’s road comfort, Car notes in the 458 Speciale “A journey of about 3 hours that felt like Five” “…and if you talk, you have to shout just to make yourself heard, mostly because of road noise” and “ I can imagine many customers, (the majority?) probably wouldn’t find that much fun, and a fast cruise in a GT3 with the radio playing would probably be more appealing”

Yes indeed! As my GT3 odometer rolls onto 5,000 Miles, in contrast to previous GT cars I have owned, my wife has not uttered a single complaint regarding the road comfort (PRICELESS!!!)
and I remain delighted with its outstanding performance on the track. Greater Comfort, Higher Performance, Lower Price - the elusive Trifecta and the unobtainable Holy Grail since the Sports Car was born.

IMHO, Winner: GT3
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
We just returned from a 1,000 Mile, 15 hour Round Trip between Daytona Beach and Charlotte, NC. Both of us marveled at how comfortable the GT3 was and how quickly the time passed distracted by our Audio Books, Music and News.

Yes indeed! As my GT3 odometer rolls onto 5,000 Miles, in contrast to previous GT cars I have owned, my wife has not uttered a single complaint regarding the road comfort (PRICELESS!!!)
and I remain delighted with its outstanding performance on the track. Greater Comfort, Higher Performance, Lower Price - the elusive Trifecta and the unobtainable Holy Grail since the Sports Car was born.

Too true!!!
We just returned from a similar trip, wife and I, 1700 km and two race tracks. The thing that surprises me and impresses me more than I ever thought possible is how great the car is at getting us there in comfort and fresh. My wife even drove half the journey and found it very compliant and easy to handle. I grab these keys over my tuned 993 more often and use the car for every little chore I can as its fun to drive and very easy to manage around town. On the track the breadth of ability of the chassis is impressive and the margin for error considerably wider than the old girl especially in the wet.

Maybe Im just getting older. Nothing I can do to stop that unfortunately ;-)
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Clubs are defined as much by the people who are excluded as by those who are included. The 991 GT3 is not a one trick pony and for some that's a minus rather than a plus because the car is not a MT equipped, hard riding track car that excludes potential owners who are not fully committed to a very narrow focus.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 PM
GioF
Intermediate

not the best quality but it's ok.. also not 100% on it for both drivers...
Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good vid. The 458S is clearly faster on the long straights, but looks inferior on the twisting turns. The extra 100+ hp really helps on the straights.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
^ Good vid. The 458S is clearly faster on the long straights, but looks inferior on the twisting turns. The extra 100+ hp really helps on the straights.
It seemed apparent that 458 driver was either not as skilled or was really taking it lazy through the turns and not putting a 100% effort in. I think the 458 if 100% in would of taken GT3 quite early into it if so. I continue to keep saying that for the HP disadvantage the GT3 has against the 458S it certainly can hold it's own within reason...long straights not being one of them.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with above. Doesn't look like a lot of talent in the 458, while the GT3 seemed to be driving a pretty nice line. 458 clearly quicker in the straights, but not by a lot. It's also tough to tell, as the GT3 driver may have been exiting corners slower.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I am glad I own a GT3 and not a 458 Speciale. Having recently sold my race cars, trailer and tow vehicles, my wife and I drive the GT3 to all our Track events. We just returned from a 1,000 Mile, 15 hour Round Trip between Daytona Beach and Charlotte, NC. Both of us marveled at how comfortable the GT3 was and how quickly the time passed distracted by our Audio Books, Music and News.

Unfortunately and inexplicably, the “Big Test” Car Review did not compare the performance of these cars on the Track. Isn’t the very essence of a Sports Car defined by its Track performance? But <www.fastestlaps.com> has. And the GT3 is faster than the 458 on virtually every track they have been on. It is doubtful to me that the Speciale will close the gap.

In contrast to the GT3’s road comfort, Car notes in the 458 Speciale “A journey of about 3 hours that felt like Five” “…and if you talk, you have to shout just to make yourself heard, mostly because of road noise” and “ I can imagine many customers, (the majority?) probably wouldn’t find that much fun, and a fast cruise in a GT3 with the radio playing would probably be more appealing”

THIS.

It's easy to fall in love with a hard core car like a Speciale.

It's a whole nother thing to actually own and drive one on a regular basis.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Even a regular 458 is hard to drive on a regular basis (I own one) mostly because it draws to much attention.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
THIS.

It's easy to fall in love with a hard core car like a Speciale.

It's a whole nother thing to actually own and drive one on a regular basis.

100%
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Even a regular 458 is hard to drive on a regular basis (I own one) mostly because it draws to much attention.
I agree x100.....side effects of driving a Ferrari
Old 09-22-2014, 03:01 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I still think the writer, likely because he cannot afford either, did not prepare a story that takes into consideration cost. The price of a car is absolutely a factor that should be considered since it is a common denominator with all vehicles and a measure of worth across everyone. At a price of 208,000 pounds or $339,785.00 for a 458 Speciale, it costs as much as a $150k GT3 and a $190k GT3RS. Is the 458 S superior to a GT3 and a GT3 RS? Is it that much better?

I think the whole ownership thing being discussed is what highlights the weaknesses of magazine reviews. It reminds me of internet posters that post on forums and magazine race based upon the stats of cars in the back of a magazine. These kids have no concept of actual ownership or a true point of reference and, I think the article did basically the same thing except the writer had a chance to drive the cars. Now, if he wrote from the perspective of actually buying and owning the cars, that would be a valuable opinion. As is, the writer may as well be a 13 year old kid with pimples who went on a joy ride.

Dan (thinks the writer did a poor job of assessment)

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine GT3 vs 458 Speciale