Sponsored by:

Basic 991 GT3 track mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Basic 991 GT3 track mods

Hey everyone. I know there is a wide variety of guys here that track this car. Mine will be delivered late October, so I would like to have a post that gives good info for those about to receive their 2015. I do realize, some take it to the extreme, while others leave it more street focused, and many keep it in the middle somewhere. I'd like to start collecting opinions from all about what changes they recommend, depending on the level of track-worthiness, say, as LEVEL 1 changes (street mostly, DD comfort, but autoX and <4 track DE), LEVEL 2 changes (near half/half, accepting some street inconvenience for better track-worthiness), and finally, LEVEL 3 changes (what warranty?, how fast can I go?). Let's hear it guys....and where applicable, why you like the changes you did (rather than just the old GT3 ideas from models past).
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

mods are mostly the same, old model new model. no need to reinvent things.
wheel and tires with pad upgrade
roll bar with right seats and harness
all can be reverted easily

toe links may not work now due to the servo on RWS someone can test it out. my car not here yet.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:13 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

I'll get it started:
LEVEL 1: Adjust sway bars to softest fr/ firm most rear, alter suspension within OEM limits, getting front to near -2, with rear at -1.5, keep MPSC2 or even change to MPSS if rain or weather concerns, adjust tire pressures accordingly when at the track, brake pads

LEVEL 2: All the above, plus: Maybe change seat to race bucket, add shims to allow for more (-) camber, consider a more track orientated tire like the Trofeo, consider a roll cage, alter the exhaust with SW bypass, possibly 200 cell cats

LEVEL 3: All the above, plus: Change wheels to 19 " with hoosiers (or similar R rubber), Likely tow car to track, race seat and roll cage mandatory once adding race rubber, consider changing suspension components to allow for even more adjustability
Old 09-10-2014, 02:16 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
mods are mostly the same, old model new model. no need to reinvent things.
wheel and tires with pad upgrade
roll bar with right seats and harness
all can be reverted easily

toe links may not work now due to the servo on RWS someone can test it out. my car not here yet.

Mooty....that is exactly why I wanted a post like this. There are still differences, even if small, like with the RWS. Somewhere I read....maybe SAMfrom TX....that they had a weird steering quirk that changed the chassis dynamics abruptly. Not sure if he found out why. What pads have people tried..., etc, etc, etc
Old 09-10-2014, 02:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ copy. i am sure sam will chime in soon
Old 09-10-2014, 03:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Mooty....that is exactly why I wanted a post like this. There are still differences, even if small, like with the RWS. Somewhere I read....maybe SAMfrom TX....that they had a weird steering quirk that changed the chassis dynamics abruptly. Not sure if he found out why. What pads have people tried..., etc, etc, etc
Not me. I think it was someone referring to an autocross event.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Not me. I think it was someone referring to an autocross event.
Sorry about that.....I know I read it somewhere.
SAM,
Since you are putting lots of track time on yours......likely jumping from my LEVEL 2 to LEVEL 3 track machine.....what would you recommend for the soon to be owners in each of these theoretical categories???? Any regrets to what you have done with yours???
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Personally, I'd be reluctant to mess with the suspension, given all the engineering Porsche put into it; easy to make things worse, probably not so easy to make them better, considering the PASM, RWS, etc. I wouldn't even change the sway bars (which I assume are adjustable?). And is alignment adjustability really not enough with the stock suspension?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone considering a light weight battery? Probably level 3 to be worthwhile. Thought this once was a factory option--does someone know if it was specced much?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Anyone considering a light weight battery? Probably level 3 to be worthwhile. Thought this once was a factory option--does someone know if it was specced much?
Iirc, the factory lithium battery wasn't offered because the RWS needs extra juice that the lithium can't provide
Old 09-10-2014, 08:35 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Sorry about that.....I know I read it somewhere.
SAM,
Since you are putting lots of track time on yours......likely jumping from my LEVEL 2 to LEVEL 3 track machine.....what would you recommend for the soon to be owners in each of these theoretical categories???? Any regrets to what you have done with yours???
No apologies needed, I was just clarifying it wasn't me. I don't autocross and have not noticed anything weird on track that I can attribute to RWS. For me, the sway bar adjustment (they are adjustable) is a must. It has to be changed from one track to another. Softest front and firmest rear minimizes understeer in tight tracks and allows the car to rotate freely. in tracks with fast corners, like TWS, it is not safe to have the front loose or the car will be biased towards high speed oversteer, so I tightened mine a notch. I also find more negative camber to work best for my style of driving but if you drive a lot on road, may need a compromise.
The car's brakes are less power assisted than the regular 991 Carreras, perhaps to allow for more modulation but this makes for a softer brake feel on track (and road). Changing to a pad with more bite helps a lot. AFAIK, the only after market known track pads that fit are the Pagid RS 29s, which I have. My car just had the roll cage and GT2 seats installed (they dropped it off today) and supposedly everything is working fine. I bought my first Hans device and need to practice getting all this on properly.
I would love to put Hoosiers and save lap times but the expense and hassle made me reconsider. I have been told by many reliable sources that Hoosiers are a one weekend set, if one drives hard and at $1600 a set, this adds up quick. I may try Trofeo R once and see how much benefit and wear difference I get.
I have headers with low flow cats and SW bypass.
Sorry, not very organized but you get the picture.
I have no regrets. I recommend increasing camber and adjusting the sway bars. Stock tires are superb. if you can get safety, do it. That's a good start.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Iirc, the factory lithium battery wasn't offered because the RWS needs extra juice that the lithium can't provide
Thanks, good to know.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

change out stock Brake Fluid to a hi-quality fluid like SRF Castrol.
some driving aid...AIM, etc.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
No apologies needed, I was just clarifying it wasn't me. I don't autocross and have not noticed anything weird on track that I can attribute to RWS. For me, the sway bar adjustment (they are adjustable) is a must. It has to be changed from one track to another. Softest front and firmest rear minimizes understeer in tight tracks and allows the car to rotate freely. in tracks with fast corners, like TWS, it is not safe to have the front loose or the car will be biased towards high speed oversteer, so I tightened mine a notch. I also find more negative camber to work best for my style of driving but if you drive a lot on road, may need a compromise.
The car's brakes are less power assisted than the regular 991 Carreras, perhaps to allow for more modulation but this makes for a softer brake feel on track (and road). Changing to a pad with more bite helps a lot. AFAIK, the only after market known track pads that fit are the Pagid RS 29s, which I have. My car just had the roll cage and GT2 seats installed (they dropped it off today) and supposedly everything is working fine. I bought my first Hans device and need to practice getting all this on properly.
I would love to put Hoosiers and save lap times but the expense and hassle made me reconsider. I have been told by many reliable sources that Hoosiers are a one weekend set, if one drives hard and at $1600 a set, this adds up quick. I may try Trofeo R once and see how much benefit and wear difference I get.
I have headers with low flow cats and SW bypass.
Sorry, not very organized but you get the picture.
I have no regrets. I recommend increasing camber and adjusting the sway bars. Stock tires are superb. if you can get safety, do it. That's a good start.
Hi Sam, did you get a bolt in roll bar/half cage installed? Can you tell us which one? Also any issues with the GT2 seat install? I recall reading the sliders/mounts bolt up fine but electrical connectors weren't compatible or something. Did you have to clear airbag lights? I really like the GT2 seats.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

I guess no one figured out a way to import the Porsche clubsport roll bar into the US? Still kills me that clubsport package isn't available here.

Quick Reply: Basic 991 GT3 track mods