991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,531 Likes on 2,578 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
^^ I agree but I'm going to dd and track the car.....the track is for fun but getting in and out on a daily basis will get old with the buckets.....I went with comfort and the 18 way seats.....
I have full Cobra track seats in my 997, with deep bottom and side bolsters, and getting in and out of the car when I take it to work isn't a big deal. Takes a bit longer, but so what, it's not like I'm getting injured. If that sort of thing deters you, there are more suitable cars out there than a GT3.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:49 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Dealers always discourage interesting colors, Sunroof Delete, Sport Suspension and other items that vastly improve the enjoyment of the car and resale value to knowledgeable buyers.
Dealers look at making your car appeal to the widest audience. I listen but order it how I want it.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

I have full Cobra track seats in my 997, with deep bottom and side bolsters, and getting in and out of the car when I take it to work isn't a big deal. Takes a bit longer, but so what, it's not like I'm getting injured. If that sort of thing deters you, there are more suitable cars out there than a GT3.
It's a matter of what will work best for me....I have a very wide back and long drives in my 458 with racing seats is not comfortable.....I have a hour+ drive to work some days....saying this car isn't suited for me because I don't want the bucket seats when their are seat options is kinda....well....doesn't make a lot of sense....
Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
It's a matter of what will work best for me....I have a very wide back and long drives in my 458 with racing seats is not comfortable.....I have a hour+ drive to work some days....saying this car isn't suited for me because I don't want the bucket seats when their are seat options is kinda....well....doesn't make a lot of sense....
If you had it to do over again would you get the racing seats in the 458?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:16 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander

If you had it to do over again would you get the racing seats in the 458?
Absolutely....it's a weekend car and gets about 2500 miles a year....I happened to have a charity event in CT which turned into an hour cruise at a crawl because of the amount of cars....comfort wasn't a top priority when I ordered...I loved the way they look especially with the contrast stitching.....and the Porsche seats seem like a bargain....the seats in the 458 were almost $10K....When I went to the dealer to drop off my trade I sat in the 18 way seats and they were very comfortable....definitely won't be as good on the track but I want to look forward to my commute....
Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^Was going to post a reply but this pretty much says it all. To the OP, I would only add that he should try to at least find a 997 model with the GT2 buckets which should offer a similar level of comfort. Some people just won't fit the sport buckets and an ill fitting seat will be a problem.

I'm no chubs, so I should fit. The buckets are on my build! That being said; I think this is a good idea. Anyone in the San Diego area have a 997 with GT2 seats I can try out?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I am 5'11'' 44 chest, 36" waist 210 pounds. I fit in the RS seat and in the 918 seats. Comfortable for about an hour. If you are much larger than me it would be really tight.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sat in the buckets today in a showroom gt3. I found them quite snug and comfy. I am of average build by US standards. Getting out was trickier. I am sure I will develop a technique for that once I have them.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I sat in the buckets today in a showroom gt3. I found them quite snug and comfy. I am of average build by US standards. Getting out was trickier. I am sure I will develop a technique for that once I have them.
Did you get any pics of the seats? Are they adjustable up/down? Folding? There is conflicting info on this going around.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my dealers tells me the same thing about the resalability of buckets. Total BS. It compeletly fits the character of the car. Let the posers buy comfy seats found in the carreras.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SunnySD
Did you get any pics of the seats? Are they adjustable up/down? Folding? There is conflicting info on this going around.
Sorry not a very good or helpful pic. I wasn't focusing on the seats. I will get better ones next time I am there. As far as I know, they can be moved forward and back, not up/down. Not sure what you mean by folding. BTW, Arth should easily be able to answer any thing about buckets as he has them. Just pm him.

Last edited by aamersa; 12-31-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Guys, we need to start making the distinction between US bucket seats (918 style) vs ROW bucket seats (GT2 style). Otherwise, confusion will be rampant.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Guys, we need to start making the distinction between US bucket seats (918 style) vs ROW bucket seats (GT2 style). Otherwise, confusion will be rampant.
Exactly. It's amazing how many times we wander back down the same paths due to cloudy info.....

FWIW, although I'm finding the 18 way seats better than expected, if the sport buckets had been available when I ordered the car I would have gotten them. I have the option to buy them at cost over the counter and will probably do so unless they prove not to plug up properly to the existing wiring or are a LOT more expensive than I got back in comp from Porsche on my car and "memory" seats. Like so many things, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Mike, this is your car with buckets. But you guys are telling me that you are getting different buckets from that million dollar porsche?

Last edited by aamersa; 12-31-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Mike, this is your car with buckets. But you guys are telling me that you are getting different buckets from that million dollar porsche?
Yes. That is exactly what the US is getting. Sounds like you're a little behind on the latest news.

Quick Reply: Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?