Sponsored by:

I am hoping Porsche comes thru, I really am

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM
JimSand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am hoping Porsche comes thru, I really am

I was previously scheduled to participate in the European Delivery in March then April for a 2014 GT3 and now if Porsche comes thru I will be participating in the European Delivery mid September for a 2015 GT3 and would like to ask you guys to please feel free to share any input regarding what scenic roads to take to complete the following itinerary and any great spots to stop by and have my amateur photographer wife take pics of my first Porsche. Thank you and Happy Labor Day!

Paris: 2 nights

Lyon: 2 nights

St Tropez: 1 night

Cannes/Nice: 4 nights

Monte Carlo: 1 night

Milan: 2 nigths

Jungfrau Region: Just passing by and taking the train at Lauterbrunnen to go to Grindelward or Wengen.

Stuttgart: 1 night

Previous post: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...arch-10th.html
Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

I can tell you all of France is beautiful, you can really just take it easy through the countryside. If you get a chance, I would definitely go through the Loire Valley (wine and castles) and Provence (great food, Van Gogh scenery). Word of caution: Nice/ southern towns have very narrow streets, I would be really careful. Also, Lake Como near Milan is nice too
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Paris, Georges V Four Seasons, Monte Carlo, Hotel De Paris. I have ridden a motorcycle extensively in Europe. Roads are narrow, in the cities Scooters and Pedestrians. Drivers are very aggressive. Most cars parked on the street will show damage.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have a great time! There are quite a few RLers who have provided descriptions of their ED adventures. Mine is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...us-photos.html
Oh, and I'd agree with avoiding big cities if possible, partly due to risk of damage and theft.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

What, no 'Ring?!?!?!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JimSand
Jungfrau Region: Just passing by and taking the train at Lauterbrunnen to go to Grindelward or Wengen.
Just spent 5 days in Grindelwald last month; been there several times and Wengen too. Absolutely gorgeous area.

If you haven't been there before, from Grindelwald take the railway up to Kleine Scheidegg. It's a railway stop at the foot of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau mountains. a good bit of the movie the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood was filmed there. Breathtaking mountain vistas and a photographers dream. If the weather is clear take the train all the way up to the Jungfraujoch. At 11,332 feet it's the highest railway station in Europe. Expensive but worth it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mike! We were in Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen last month as well.. 8/8 through 8/12... One of my most fav places anywhere.

Well, if you're going to be there, driving the Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass is a MUST!! We were supposed to take delivery of our new GT3, but it was canceled of course for this year. So did a Turbo instead (GT3 comes in December) Photo of the Furka Pass drive below... The drive is... AWESOME!
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

^^Nice...I'll be the TT loved those uphill curves!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes indeed... The all wheel drive and 4 wheel steering was really obvious and beneficial for this drive! Very sure-footed through the curves!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
JimSand
Advanced

Originally Posted by eilig
Hey Mike! We were in Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen last month as well.. 8/8 through 8/12... One of my most fav places anywhere.

Well, if you're going to be there, driving the Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass is a MUST!! We were supposed to take delivery of our new GT3, but it was canceled of course for this year. So did a Turbo instead (GT3 comes in December) Photo of the Furka Pass drive below... The drive is... AWESOME!
Jay, awesome photos!!! Where did you stay within the Jungfrau Region and how did you like their onsite parking? I might add a night and stay in the area however I want to leave the GT3 in a safe place. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
JimSand
Advanced

Thank you guys for all the great input! @rwcsn1 @carcommander @<3mph @24Chromium @Mike in CA
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimSand
Jay, awesome photos!!! Where did you stay within the Jungfrau Region and how did you like their onsite parking? I might add a night and stay in the area however I want to leave the GT3 in a safe place. Thank you!
Not to horn in on Jay's reply, but I recommend the Hotel GletscherGarten in Grindlewald. It's a very nice family run hotel with full board. The first pic below is taken from our 3rd floor balcony. I didn't have a Porsche this time but in 2009 we also stayed there with my ED Carrera S. The hotel has reserved outdoor parking right across the street which is not exceptional but quite adequate. I don't think you'll find much indoor parking in a small village like this. I've also included a view of one of the railway lines that climbs up to Kleine Scheidegg.
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Grindelwald has no cars, you take cable car up, but it's awesome and worth it. I think there is garage parking at the train station but not sure, we had no car last time. The hikes are awesome and Gimmelwald where we stayed is right next to Grindelwald. One of Rick Steves favorite spots.

Edit: sorry, I was confusing Murren with Grindelwald. Murren and Gimmelwald are on the other side of the valley, restricted from cars.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by eilig
Hey eilig! Yeah, we were there a month before you for about our 4th time. No Porsche this time though. One of our very most favorite places too!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by montoya
Grindelwald has no cars, you take cable car up, but it's awesome and worth it. I think there is garage parking at the train station but not sure, we had no car last time. The hikes are awesome and Gimmelwald where we stayed is right next to Grindelwald. One of Rick Steves favorite spots.
Montoya, Grindelwald does allow cars. Wengen doesn't and neither does Murren but Grindelwald, yes. I thought Gimmelwald was only accessible by gondola....

Quick Reply: I am hoping Porsche comes thru, I really am