Sponsored by:

Carrara White Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
The white metallic is a beautiful colour. Had I on my 335i. The spectrum of shades depending on the lighting was fabulous.
Having said that I decided for alpine white for M3. I think that plain white fits purpose sports car much better. Mineral colours are rather for GT cars but that is only how I see it.
Another important factor that made my choice was that mineral white is extremely hard to fix. If you can fix it at all that you would not recognise that one panel of your car has been painted.
And that is what is going to happen to our sports car if we track them (I mean the small paint chips)
Clear bra. My 2013 M5 is Shakir Orange had a panel painted I can't even tell. A good paint guy will get it right. Can't choose a color on what may happen. I do like the regular white, but there was a side of me that wanted to be a little different
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Wow. Love that slightly gray tinge.
IMO, that's the most significant difference. If you like the grayish tinge, then metallic white is the best choice. Personally I prefer Carrara/refrigrator white - but obviously no wrong choice here.

Reminds me of Rhodium vs GT Silver - blue cast vs a slight brownish tone version of the same color. Sometimes the interior selection can have a significant effect on the overall visual. YMMV.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Here you go!

Of which one? LOL

One where it shows the compare between the two colors. May be its just me, I can't seem to get the pic to open any bigger than tiny!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
IMO, that's the most significant difference. If you like the grayish tinge, then metallic white is the best choice. Personally I prefer Carrara/refrigrator white - but obviously no wrong choice here.

Reminds me of Rhodium vs GT Silver - blue cast vs a slight brownish tone version of the same color. Sometimes the interior selection can have a significant effect on the overall visual. YMMV.
I don't really see that. To me, the shade and hue difference between rhodium and GT is whopping compared to monochromatic white versus white metallic. Personally, I've never been able to find any brown in GT silver. Platinum yes, but not GT. And, although not as blue as polar, rhodium is very blue. And very bright. Stunning silver imo, but very different from GT. Just my subjective take.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

There is simply no substitute for seeing these in real life in order to make a decision, however these picture threads are priceless... Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post
Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^^Rhodium I just saw again 2 hours ago and it certainly has an obvious light blue hue to it that I do not know if you can call it silver at all. Not my taste but I can see how others' might find it an interesting color.
'sportcentury' has nailed it in his assessment. But, do not all get crazy thinking the Metallic white gives off a grey hue. That I do not see. Yes; the pictures shown earlier gives you that feeling but I do not pick up on that. It is maybe because when there is no sun hitting the Metallic paint it appears more dull but that is the nature of Metallics
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Alex. Here's a few pictures. You decide...

Oh I would like to see a real life result on those white wheels!
Have considered this when I got the car but still in doubt and actually don't want to paint those beautiful stock wheels that came with it.
Still in doubt though.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

the white 997 parked next to the GTS has old yellowed clr bra on the entire front. so it appears yellow and warmar than it really is.

the non metallic white is warmer
the metallic cooler with gray/blue tint. quite nice in person. it's not the 80's pearl white color, it's whitish white not pearlish white.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely like the non metallic better cause that's what I ordered and luckily the metallic option wasn't available back then.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^Rhodium I just saw again 2 hours ago and it certainly has an obvious light blue hue to it that I do not know if you can call it silver at all. Not my taste but I can see how others' might find it an interesting color.
'sportcentury' has nailed it in his assessment. But, do not all get crazy thinking the Metallic white gives off a grey hue. That I do not see. Yes; the pictures shown earlier gives you that feeling but I do not pick up on that. It is maybe because when there is no sun hitting the Metallic paint it appears more dull but that is the nature of Metallics
I also do not see as significant a difference between monochromatic white and white metallic as some others do. And, to the issue of personal taste, I would go monochromatic white with the GT3. The white metallic is very nice, just not my choice for a GT3.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I like them both. I ordered White on my 2014 but if could order metallic I would because it is not an expensive option. But, by no means am I disappointed I did not have the option to order the metallic. If I could do it all over again I would PTS my GT3 - Carmine Red
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this metallic white?
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Armin
Is this metallic white?
Very interesting! But so hard to tell from photos under varied lighting conditions. I thought metallic white was only a 2015 option and no 2015's have been built yet AFAIK. So if it's not (standard) white, it could be PTS. And if PTS, I might hazard a wild guess as this being grigiocampovolo (this was my initial PTS order until the stop sale). It can be mistaken for white in photos but is really very light non-metallic grey. Here are some other photos (I have many others) of grigiocampovolo for comparison. The colour is less yellow than fashion grey (to my mind), and derives from an old Fiat Abarth colour (see last photo of current Abarths to compare to white).
Does anyone in the SoCal area know this car and what colour it actually is?
Attached Images           
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

One of the very few silver linings to waiting (and waiting) for the GT3 is that you can now see cars on the road and at the dealerships so you can compare colors, interiors etc. Saw side by side metallic and normal white on two 911 C2S yday. Normal white better to me. Hard to describe, pictures do not at all help, so try to go in person. Also was nice to see clear bra on white cars... not a good look, it definitely dulls the paint. also saw it on a 2014, the discoloration is very noticeable on a white car.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SunTek Protection Material on the front bumper area and yes, there is a slight dulling of the paint but I wouldn't call it "very noticeable", especially if you weren't looking for it. From five feet away, you wouldn't be able to tell. Like paint, protection material needs to be cared for and properly maintained just like paint or it will visually degrade. And I would think there is a visual difference between brands of protection material as well.

If the OP is saying he doesn't like the look, I'm in full agreement but the function of the material outweighed the small visual negative. RadarRyan finally convinced me to apply the wrap to the lower front bumper area since that's the weakest point when it comes to paint chips & marring. It's the lesser of two evils and I'm glad I did it. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Carrara White Metallic