Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You own a .1 GT3 and are buying a .2 GT3, manual or PDK?
Manual
37.85%
PDK
52.54%
Never owned a PDK GT3 and PDK owners should be shot by ISIS
9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners

I've always been a manual guy, then I bought a GT3. Now I'm genuinely not so sure. I think a lot of the "manual or die and PDK is for a Prius" crowd are likely just PDK-S niave.

Out of curiosity, how many actual current GT3 owners who have actually owned and driven the car with PDK-S would buy a .2 manual GT3?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I've always been a manual guy, then I bought a GT3. Now I'm genuinely not so sure. I think a lot of the "manual or die and PDK is for a Prius" crowd are likely just PDK-S niave.

Out of curiosity, how many actual current GT3 owners who have actually owned and driven the car with PDK-S would buy a .2 manual GT3?
I have an easy resolution for you.

991.2 GT3 Manual
991.1/2 GT3 RS PDK
Old 03-28-2017, 01:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

What I would ask is if any pdk owner(future or present) feel any sort of " threat " by the fact that the manual is back on the table. I see many posts that can be interpreted as a " threat " ,to the point that it ends up being a denigration to the technology and/or owner. Sure I must admit,I am guilty of some of that myself the other way around,although I have never seen pdk as a " threat ". As a matter of fact,I've always said they can coexist without a problem.
I can only think of one instance where the manual could be interpreted as a " threat " : and that's VALUE. Because as we all know,in the modern era those cars will always sell at a higher price. But I always thought the Rennlist enthusiasts do not care about VALUE... Otherwise,why would successful grown men care about " old technology " when their mind is fully set on what they want?! 1 year olds can make their minds faster about what they want and in some traditions,they are asked to choose :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doljanchi

I personally do not care if everyone picks pdk and Porsche sells me the only manual in the World...
Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Me - Got rid of the GT3 for the GT4 for the Manual- to me it was worth giving up the extra power for the Manual. Now I can no longer drink my coffee and drive easily

Threat?!! - never thought about it but the "manual" will probably be worth more in the future but until you mentioned it, above, never once did it cross my mind. I guess we will see what the Stealerships will start asking for the "manual" premiums later next year
Old 03-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

It's a pretty simple question that doesn't require in-depth psychoanalysis: how many die-hard manual guys have found they liked the PDK-S more than they thought they would after actually owning it because the technology is so cool? Has the "forced/no-choice" conversion made you a true convert such that when you have a choice (a good thing), you'd stick with the newer technology?

In other words, without real world experience, I would have chosen a manual every time. After having the PDK-S experience (albeit reluctantly at first), I'm not so sure...
Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 991 RS...PDK is awesome on track, but I long for a manual on the street...
The question is whether to give up my RS to have a manual GT3...cuz I don't think I can swing both...and Porsche doesn't sound like its going to build me an RS with manual.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I always say, buy the transmission that goes with the car. Opinions will obviously vary, but (for me) PDK matches the modern 911s and the GT3s very well. Not to say the manual won't be awesome, too.

Manuals match the air cooled 993s much better than the Tippy, it adds to the experience... just like the PDK adds to the experience of the new GT3s... opinions vary which is why Porsche now gives us the option.

I also wouldn't take what AP says as gospel in his response to PDK or Manual. Everyone is different and likes different things. Tracking with a manual might be better for some and DDing with a PDK better for others.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

If one is not sure go manual,it's the safest bet! I don't remember a post where someone said : " I should've gotten pdk ". But I remember plenty where they wrote : " I should've gotten a manual ".
And ^^ that's from reading various forums where there is a choice : 991 forum,997 forum...and before you say pdk-s is better than pdk(which it is!),I have also read that from those switching from pdk-s to the GT4 manual,or dropping the 991.1 GT3 with pdk-s and going back to a 997 GT3 with a manual.

Of course the first statement in this post is just an opinion,MY opinion...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
I always say, buy the transmission that goes with the car. Opinions will obviously vary, but (for me) PDK matches the modern 911s and the GT3s very well. Not to say the manual won't be awesome, too.

Manuals match the air cooled 993s much better than the Tippy, it adds to the experience... just like the PDK adds to the experience of the new GT3s... opinions vary which is why Porsche now gives us the option.

I also wouldn't take what AP says as gospel in his response to PDK or Manual. Everyone is different and likes different things. Tracking with a manual might be better for some and DDing with a PDK better for others.
You would be incorrect simply by the fact you have not driven a 991.2 GT3 with a manual,or at least a 991 R...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
You would be incorrect simply by the fact you have not driven a 991.2 GT3 with a manual,or at least a 991 R...
Huh? How can an opinion be incorrect? I've driven manual and PDK modern 911s and GT3s (997 and 991) and my opinion is based off of that. If you think the 991.2 GT3 is going to be so much different to change my mind to prefer manual then that's a stretch.

Why is it that you always seem to come into a thread and s**t everywhere?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Huh? How can an opinion be incorrect? I've driven manual and PDK modern 911s and GT3s (997 and 991) and my opinion is based off of that. If you think the 991.2 GT3 is going to be so much different to change my mind to prefer manual then that's a stretch.

Why is it that you always seem to come into a thread and s**t everywhere?
You are entitled to your opinion but your arguments don't stand IMO. You see...let's take the GT4 : announced with a manual,everyone was excited. They've praised the shifter feel,but complained about the long gears. That's a fair argument. Saying that the manual does not match a modern GT3 without driving the car,it is not...again IMO. You sound like Porsche marketing after launching the 991.1 GT3 pdk only and trying to justify their decision. And we all know how that turned out....
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

You are entitled to your opinion but your arguments don't stand IMO. You see...let's take the GT4 : announced with a manual,everyone was excited. They've praised the shifter feel,but complained about the long gears. That's a fair argument. Saying that the manual does not match a modern GT3 without driving the car,it is not...again IMO. You sound like Porsche marketing after launching the 991.1 GT3 pdk only and trying to justify their decision. And we all know how that turned out....
But yet, your signature shows that Manual > PDK everytime, so how can you make that argument without driving every car with the manual and PDK?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

If one is not sure go manual,it's the safest bet! I don't remember a post where someone said : " I should've gotten pdk ". But I remember plenty where they wrote : " I should've gotten a manual ".
And ^^ that's from reading various forums where there is a choice : 991 forum,997 forum...and before you say pdk-s is better than pdk(which it is!),I have also read that from those switching from pdk-s to the GT4 manual,or dropping the 991.1 GT3 with pdk-s and going back to a 997 GT3 with a manual.

Of course the first statement in this post is just an opinion,MY opinion...
You may have a little case of confirmation bias going there. Aren't ~80% of new 911s PDK now? That seems like many more people overall are moving to PDK from manual, not manual to PDK.

I would tend to agree that the manual will probably hold it's value a little better due to likely increasing rarity, but you would be hard pressed to argue that the .1 GT3 has not retained its value.

Regardless, I was looking for a specific response here from a specific group with relevant experience - Gt3 owners' perspective on manual vs. PDK-s. We really don't need another manual vs. PDK debate (unless you insist... ).
Old 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

All I can say is that I like that there will be a choice - so we can all calm down about this argument.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
You may have a little case of confirmation bias going there. Aren't ~80% of new 911s PDK now? That seems like many more people overall are moving to PDK from manual, not manual to PDK.

I would tend to agree that the manual will probably hold it's value a little better due to likely increasing rarity, but you would be hard pressed to argue that the .1 GT3 has not retained its value.

Regardless, I was looking for a specific response here from a specific group with relevant experience - Gt3 owners' perspective on manual vs. PDK-s. We really don't need another manual vs. PDK debate (unless you insist... ).
You are correct,the Rennlist poll is very small compared to the market...perhaps 1%...

I do not want to turn your thread into pdk vs manual,sorry...

I'll " retire " now...

Quick Reply: Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners