Sponsored by:

Vibration on the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:37 PM
awaisrad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration on the track

I have a 2015 GT3. Stock wheels, pirelli P zero trofeo R, -2 camber setting all 4. Wheels balance 2 times. Giro discs, stock pads, with vibration that progressively worsens 128 to 150mph on. Any thoughts.
Desperate.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bent rim.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:49 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Rubber in the wheels?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:19 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

That's easy - knock your wheel balancing weights off your rims.
If you are seriously tracking your GT3 you will find the tyres (sorry, tires) will move on the rims under extreme braking (and hard launches).
Still don't believe me - get a paint pen and mark the rim and tyre at the same place and check it after a hard session with the tyres up to temperature. You will be surprised how far they can slide on the rims.
When you have an already balanced rim move on the tire, the result can be horrible vibrations at high speed.
I've tried putting the tyres on with no "goop" and a few other products, but they still move. Such is the grip of these new tyres!
So, save the money and don't bother wheel balancing and you'll cure the vibrations.
I haven't balanced race rims for years
Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting observation Matt. I didnt realize this to be the case, though I have no vibration to speak of I will experiment with a marker on the rims on my next track day :-)

P.S. Off topic - but what are your plans for the next Targa? Still running 991 GT3?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Or get wheels with knurled beads and the tire stays on much better.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 PM
awaisrad
Intermediate

the rims are brand new Porsche

i sat in my friends gt3, not an ounce of vibration at the same speed
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 PM
mdkim
Racer

You also could have lost weight(s) if you didn't tape them.

My tires would also rotate badly rendering any balancing worthless.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:14 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Rumble strips? ;-)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting observation Matt. I didnt realize this to be the case, though I have no vibration to speak of I will experiment with a marker on the rims on my next track day :-)

They move only when you have good tyre temp and braking mega hard from very high speed (such as on tracks like Phillip Island and Eastern Creek) - but they definitely move! We have tried dry fitting the tyres and I can still get them to move. Got to love the grip of the new generation tyres.

P.S. Off topic - but what are your plans for the next Targa? Still running 991 GT3?
Most definitely Macca - with bells on. But Targa High Country early November coming up first.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting observation Matt. I didnt realize this to be the case, though I have no vibration to speak of I will experiment with a marker on the rims on my next track day :-)]

They move only when you have good tyre temp and braking mega hard from very high speed (such as on tracks like Phillip Island and Eastern Creek) - but they definitely move! We have tried dry fitting the tyres and I can still get them to move. Got to love the grip of the new generation tyres.

[P.S. Off topic - but what are your plans for the next Targa? Still running 991 GT3?
Most definitely Macca - with bells on. But Targa High Country early November coming up first.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Did anyone else hear an echo?��
Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
You also could have lost weight(s) if you didn't tape them.

My tires would also rotate badly rendering any balancing worthless.
This may be the cause. Look for signs of prior wheel weights on the wheel (residual adhesive). I use the aluminum duct tape to keep the weights in place. Under hard braking, the wheels get hot enough to melt the adhesive and bye bye weights... They literally fall off (or worse - fly).

I wouldn't remove the weights altogether though. Ever notice the weight placement is usually on the opposite side of your TPMS sensor? The TPMS sensor plays a larger roll in upsetting the balance of the wheel than the rotation of the tire (which is relatively uniform in its construction). My tires rotate on the wheels throughout the day with no noticeable impact on vibration. Removing the weights may not have the effect you are looking for if you have the TPMS sensors.

Perhaps it is something else.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:38 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

[
I wouldn't remove the weights altogether though. Ever notice the weight placement is usually on the opposite side of your TPMS sensor? The TPMS sensor plays a larger roll in upsetting the balance of the wheel than the rotation of the tire (which is relatively uniform in its construction). My tires rotate on the wheels throughout the day with no noticeable impact on vibration. Removing the weights may not have the effect you are looking for if you have the TPMS sensors.

Perhaps it is something else.[/QUOTE]

So, when your TPMS compensating weight has eventually moved around 180 degrees to the same spot as the valve stem - isn't that twice as bad as no wheel weight at all?
I'll stick with no wheel weights.

Quick Reply: Vibration on the track